64 year old man refuses trip to hospital, gets tasered.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhalanX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Let's just face it, Old men need a good tazing.

If you disagree, you need a tazing because you are an old man...:):

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I guess shouting "stop resisting" is 100% proof that a person is resisting. Not 2 seconds after getting zapped, he's yelling it again. I wonder how many people can take a hit from a taser and have the wherewithal to obey commands within 2-3 seconds. The dude was incapacitated and they zapped him again.

I think it's pretty safe to say that cop "acted stupidly".

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I just saw this on Inside Edition and they show him getting it a second time while handcuffed laying on his back in his home and they taze him again! Dang gone, speechless.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    This is nuts, I witnessed a guy get tasered a few years back just after the Brickyard 400. He was handcuffed and sitting indian style on the ground, but he wouldn't shut up. The cops kept getting in his face and screaming, but the guy wouldn't shut up so a female bike cop roles up and gave him a good jolt in the back of the shoulder while seated and handcuffed.... The cops told us we needed to leave (we were packing up our car) just before she tased him.

The cop in the OP who keeps saying "Stop resisting" must be trying to look good on camera, the guy wasn't resisting after the first dang shock! He was writhing in pain! I have a hunch that officers are using tasers in place of physically restraining people and using good communication skills to rsolve situations. Instead of being good communicators and talking others (and themselves) through misunderstandings like this it's just easier to tase now and ask questions later. And being out of shape and not confident in their training (i'm reaching here) creates a fear or lack of desire to enter into a hand to hand confrontation. What am I missing?

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    lol..... I think the we should qb this from the bench a little more....

Lets face it, we are only getting one side of the story here. I would bet that the old guy was drunk,(hence the reason for the fall) he was talking about suicide, he was telling the officers to f off, he did not obey any commands.

He was clearly warned several times, personally i dont feel sorry for him at all. I do think the situation could have been handled better, but I was not there so I am not going to judge based solely on one side of the story. Not all LEO are bad.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The cop in the OP who keeps saying "Stop resisting" must be trying to look good on camera,

That is exactly right. My GF, a former state trooper, says that is how they are trained when deploying the taser. A CYA tactic that can also unfortunately be used to obscure the fact that the person wasn't actually resisting since the main thing witnesses will remember was the cop yelling it.

And this is why it's a bad idea to make recording interactions with the government illegal. Citizens have a right to privacy in their lives, representatives of the government do not while they are undertaking government business.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    That, my friend, is exactly the problem. People are watching and not intervening... non-LEO don't because they don't want shot or tazed and LEOs aren't intervening because they often agree with officer #1.

I don't know what I would do in that type of situation. I think the people that are doing the taping are probably doing more good for the person being wrongfully handled (tazed or beat) than anything. At least something exists that proves in court the situation from the camera, not one person's word against anothers.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    When you are hit with the electricity, all your muscles contract. This makes it impossible to put your hands behind your back. Since you have NOT put your hands behind your back, as ordered by the LEO, you are still "resisting," and , obviously, need to be zapped again.

I guess we'll have to kill a couple hundred heart patients before this stops.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Lets face it, we are only getting one side of the story here. I would bet that the old guy was drunk,(hence the reason for the fall) he was talking about suicide, he was telling the officers to f off, he did not obey any commands.

Which one of these are illegal and grounds for shooting someone? The use of the tazer is for non-lethal methods where shootings were used before the invention of the tazer. The police were in his home, uninvited, threatening to take him to somewhere he didn't want to go after he already fell and embarrassed himself?

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    lol..... I think the we should qb this from the bench a little more....

He was clearly warned several times, personally i dont feel sorry for him at all. I do think the situation could have been handled better, but I was not there so I am not going to judge based solely on one side of the story. Not all LEO are bad.

From what I can tell from the (somewhat limited) information, he wasn't "talking about killing himself." He reportedly said something about it hurting so bad he'd be better off shooting himself. A figure of speech that anybody with a room temperature IQ would recognize right away.

It looks like they had no business being in his house, he had every right to tell them to f off.

No "not all LEO are bad", but there are a hell of a lot more than "just a few."

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Maybe I'm old fashioned but the treatment this guy got in his own home is full of FAIL. A few years back an elderly gentleman I was friends with was a very brittle diabetic. I called him everyday to check on him and if he didn't answer I'd go check on him. Several times I found him with very low blood sugar and had to give him juice or syrup to get his glucose up. One time I couldn't get him to respond and called 911. They gave him a shot of Glucagon and had him strapped onto the stretcher ready to take him to the hospital. But by the time he got to the door he suddenly woke up and started yelling to be left alone. The EMTs had to release him even though we all tried to encourage him to go get checked out. They told me they could be charged with Assault, I believe, if they took him in w/o his consent. Sorry for the long post but I thought it was relevant. I also think Tazers are wayyyyy over used now and should have more restrictions placed on their usage. :twocents:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I would bet that the old guy was drunk,(hence the reason for the fall)
    Still not a reason for cops in his home.
    Do you think being drunk in the privacy of your own home should earn you a visit?
    he was talking about suicide,
    Words. In the privacy of his own domain. HIS business. Still not warranting intervention.
    he was telling the officers to f off,
    Rightly so. He did not invite them into HIS home. They should have done EXACTLY that.
    he did not obey any commands.
    They should not have given any.
    personally i dont feel sorry for him at all.
    Hope you feel differently if an unjustified force is used on you or someone you love.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm beginning to think that if you want to stay alive and "un-tased," you need to stay as far away from the police as possible.
    If you hear a siren, get completely off the road or around the corner, behind a building.
    If you see a police officer, avoid getting close enough to him that he notices you.
    Above all, never draw attention to yourself when the police are around.

If you cannot avoid the police, do EVERYTHING they tell you to do, instantly. If the cop says, "Strip naked and crawl under my car," you'd better do it or you may be tased or shot.
    People are getting arrested for talking to police when they say things the officer doesn't like.
    It seems your only hope is to sort it out in court.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I wouldn't have tased him...from the limited amounts of video shown. I would like to see the entire video, however.

I'd also have no problem leaving if he was indeed suicidal and letting him pop himself...as long as you guarantee me that I wouldn't be sued. Unfortunately that happens when distraught family members wake up the next morning and their loved one actually did do the deed.

First it. "Leave me alone."

Then it's "Why didn't you do something? He'd still be alive if you'd have acted and did your job."

Then the headlines read, "Man dead. Police officers negligent in their duties." Damned if you do...damned if you don't.

As I said, though...I probably wouldn't have tased him going off the video shown in the media accounts. But the media has been known to cut and edit video for shock (no pun intended) value. I'm not saying they did...just saying it happens. But on the other hand...some cops do dumb things. Just to be fair on both sides.

As an example...when this aired on channel 59...one particularly cute but apparently brain dead female anchor person said something to the effect, "You can see the electricity flowing around his body." That's the light reflecting off the taser wires you goofy "B" word. :):

Oh well...just my :twocents:.

**As a side note...perhaps this is proof that a tasing doesn't mean a person with a heart condition is going to die.

***Second side note. This is not a defense of the tasing. Just my observations.

Carry on with the inquisition. :)

:popcorn:

Last edited:

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    i dont know what happened prior to the strat of the video but even after he is cuffed the fist keeps flyinghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdoP66bvMGs&feature=related

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    As an example...when this aired on channel 59...one particularly cute but apparently brain dead female anchor person said something to the effect, "You can see the electricity flowing around his body." That's the light reflecting off the taser wires you goofy "B" word. :):

That was classic.

Carry on with the inquisition. :)

Be careful mister, or you'll get the Comfy Chair.
    tt12.jpg

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Top Bottom