64 year old man refuses trip to hospital, gets tasered.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Now as a medic you have to have consent to treat or transport a person, whether it be implied or expressed. In this case they did not have consent so the only other way to take this man to the hospital is to prove he is mentally incompetent to understand the risk. This would generally come in to play if his injuries could pose life threatening, but the "id shoot myself" comment combined with him possibly being drunk, was reason for the Officers to intervene.

However this does not justify them using tazers IMO
    Then exactly where does the above statement justify removing a citizen from their private residence??? Such actions should never be justified by saying you might get sued. If I want to end my life and harm no one else, why is it any concern of the police or emt's to stop me?

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Then exactly where does the above statement justify removing a citizen from their private residence??? Such actions should never be justified by saying you might get sued. If I want to end my life and harm no one else, why is it any concern of the police or emt's to stop me?

where i said the him making the suicidal comment combined with the possibility of him being drunk (i say possibility cause i never ead that but others have stated and may have gotten from another source).

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008

1) its their duty
    2) it opens them up to huge Civil Liability from your relatives

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    where i said the him making the suicidal comment combined with the possibility of him being drunk (i say possibility cause i never ead that but others have stated and may have gotten from another source).

1) its their duty
    2) it opens them up to huge Civil Liability from your relatives
    I will disagree with this till the day I die. The authorities much less emt's, doctors.... have no business taking away my right to off myself if thats what I want, regardless of mental condition or inebriation. I am responsible for myself and the lousy and possibly final decisions I make. If I am not going to hurt anyone else then, no one else has any business stopping me. Any judge with balls would tell my family members I was responsible for my own death and if they have a problem take it up with me.:cool: Sorry to be cold and callous on the matter, but I have little sympathy for those who take their own life, the family members, and especially any nanny state authoritarians who would take away the opportunity for said person to do this....
    :twocents:

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I will disagree with this till the day I die. The authorities much less emt's, doctors.... have no business taking away my right to off myself if thats what I want, regardless of mental condition or inebriation. I am responsible for myself and the lousy and possibly final decisions I make. If I am not going to hurt anyone else then, no one else has any business stopping me. Any judge with balls would tell my family members I was responsible for my own death and if they have a problem take it up with me.:cool: Sorry to be cold and callous on the matter, but I have little sympathy for those who take their own life, the family members, and especially any nanny state authoritarians who would take away the opportunity for said person to do this....

No need to apologize, you are right. However, there will probably always be some jerk-off ready to beat, tase, pepper spray or even shoot you, you know, for your own good.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009

That is your right and i wont argue that, but i don't think most cops or EMT's are going to agree with you if your in a situation like the OP. Don't blame that on them, blame the millions of people in this country that sue for anything and everything. At the end of the day whether you want to off yourself or not, the most important thing to an officer or medic is their safety and well being, I can guarantee they will not jeopardize that cause you want to off yourself

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yeah they really didnt think that one out to well.

That is a cultural problem. As was mentioned before, the repeated "Stop Resisting" is a training thing. They are trained to say that to cover their backsides. As if merely repeating it is proof of resistance even though the video proves otherwise. I think I will try that with a super model sometime. "You will get in bed with me! You will get in bed with me!"

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    That is a cultural problem. As was mentioned before, the repeated "Stop Resisting" is a training thing. They are trained to say that to cover their backsides. As if merely repeating it is proof of resistance even though the video proves otherwise. I think I will try that with a super model sometime. "You will get in bed with me! You will get in bed with me!"
    let me know how that goes. Your results will dictate if i try

bed = im so going for it

restraining order = thanks for being the guinea pig

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    so can we all just agree that most of the problems in the world are caused by lawyers then?

I'm not sure that's fair. Lawyers are like guns, they can't hurt anybody until some knot head uses them for something inappropriate.*

*not entirely true, I know

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So the "Stop Resisting" mantra was something this officer learned all on his own?

Don't know about that officer. You appear to be speaking with authority as to what goes into training with the taser. I was merely curious about what they taught you when you went through your training with it, and if that's what they taught you to say, and why.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Don't know about that officer. You appear to be speaking with authority as to what goes into training with the taser. I was merely curious about what they taught you when you went through your training with it, and if that's what they taught you to say, and why.

I have not been through formal training for tasers and never made the claim that I have. Others on here thought this officer's words and actions were cya training as well. It doesn't take a great leap of faith to draw that conclusion. Now if the cop were an ATF agent, all bets would be off, right?

Top Bottom