64 year old man refuses trip to hospital, gets tasered.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    one particularly cute but apparently brain dead female anchor person said something to the effect, "You can see the electricity flowing around his body." That's the light reflecting off the taser wires you goofy "B" word. :):

LOL. Reminds me of those Don Henley lyrics, "We got the bubbleheaded bleach-blonde, comes on at 5...She can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye..."

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    LOL. Reminds me of those Don Henley lyrics, "We got the bubbleheaded bleach-blonde, comes on at 5...She can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye..."
    But she's really cute. :naughty: :D

I wanted to tase her and make her call me daddy.

I think news media folks should be required to take a good tasing before they do a story on it. :):

Damn liberal democrats...take the ride! ;)

Last edited:

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's unfortunate the system sets the citizen up to not help their fellow citizen when being assaulted by LEO's. If you watched the entire altercation, new for a fact what the LEO is doing is excessive and wrong, you still are helpless to defend the man. Either you assist and are and the minimum arrested for assault of a LEO and obstruction. Or at the worse, pummeled by other officers or shot, (then pummeled :D). So to agree with another poster, recording and making public the abuse may be the only recourse to help these citizens.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It's unfortunate the system sets the citizen up to not help their fellow citizen when being assaulted by LEO's. If you watched the entire altercation, new for a fact what the LEO is doing is excessive and wrong, you still are helpless to defend the man. Either you assist and are and the minimum arrested for assault of a LEO and obstruction. Or at the worse, pummeled by other officers or shot, (then pummeled :D). So to agree with another poster, recording and making public the abuse may be the only recourse to help these citizens.

Agreed, this is the only recourse. BUT, do not allow the LEO's to know you are recording them. People are arrested and their cell phones/cameras confiscated when officers realize they are being recorded. Who knows when and how often the recorded data will be "accidently" erased or the data card lost and replaced with another?
    It's sad, but I'm beginning to fear the police.

Is this what the police officers want?

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Don't be in such a hurry to grind that axe.

axe_to_grind_md_clr.gif

I'll FIFY :):

YouTube - Two officers under internal investigation after allegedly beating homeless man caught on tape
    thx ps one of these days im gonne figure out how to do that

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Still not a reason for cops in his home.
    Do you think being drunk in the privacy of your own home should earn you a visit?.

No, but I think talking about shooting yourself in the head.
    Words. In the privacy of his own domain. HIS business. Still not warranting intervention.

Ah, but the words were in front of EMT's, even if they are still just "words", its called neglect of duty, meaning LEO loses his job, is civilly liable, and probably would lose his certificate if the old guy did go through with it. I mean I have hurt myself before and usually with me its a nice steady stream of profanity, not I want to shoot myself in the head.

Rightly so. He did not invite them into HIS home. They should have done EXACTLY that.

Exigent circumstances, they need not be invited into the home at that point. Also goes back to neglect of duty.

They should not have given any.

They were going to do an emergency hold on him to cya, he was talking about committing suicide, was clearly upset, and he was drunk. (If lawsuits were not an issue then yeah the LEOs would have left.)

Hope you feel differently if an unjustified force is used on you or someone you love.

Unjustified in your oppinion, and oppinions are like *******s, everyone has one and some smell worse than others. Personally if that was my family member, I still wouldnt feel sorry for them, in fact I would be upset for the way they talked to the police officers. What if that was your loved one and the LEO's left and the guy shot his wife and then himself later that night? How would you feel?

I don't know why people think tasers are a replacement for deadly force, and by thinking that way, the public thinks tasers should only be used in a deadly force situation.

I think there are two issues being cofused here. The fact the LEO were in this guys house after he asked them to leave, and the fact that they tasered him.

Just my :twocents:, I am not saying I would have done the same thing, I just ask that you dont judge someone without knowing the full story.:ingo:
    :popcorn:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is pretty bad when the justification for tasering a guy is the LEO covering his own butt.

I also think it is pretty sad that someone thought to be suicidal can be tazed, cuffed, and drug off to jail. If they were concerned at all about his mental state, they would have taken him to a hospital. They obviously determined he was no risk to himself (or they would have sought treatment), and at no point was he a risk to them.

I've got no problem with the cops stopping by after getting called by the EMTs. A quick wellness check should have sufficed.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    It is pretty bad when the justification for tasering a guy is the LEO covering his own butt.

I also think it is pretty sad that someone thought to be suicidal can be tazed, cuffed, and drug off to jail. If they were concerned at all about his mental state, they would have taken him to a hospital. They obviously determined he was no risk to himself (or they would have sought treatment), and at no point was he a risk to them.

I've got no problem with the cops stopping by after getting called by the EMTs. A quick wellness check should have sufficed.

You are confusing the issues, the justification for the cops being there was basically cya, not the justification for the tasing.

How do you know they didnt take him to the hospital?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I don't know why people think tasers are a replacement for deadly force, and by thinking that way, the public thinks tasers should only be used in a deadly force situation.

What are they then? That is certainly how they were sold to the public when they came onto the scene - to circumvent the use of lethal force. Are they simply pain compliance devices now?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ah, but the words were in front of EMT's, even if they are still just "words", its called neglect of duty, meaning LEO loses his job, is civilly liable, and probably would lose his certificate if the old guy did go through with it.

Ok, how would the officer be civilly liable for the guys suicide when we're being told that Bisard is shielded from civil suits in the death he caused?

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    What are they then? That is certainly how they were sold to the public when they came onto the scene - to circumvent the use of lethal force. Are they simply pain compliance devices now?

They might have been sold that way, but if my life is on the line I am not going to rely on it.

They are a tool, used to help subdue.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I dont feel like going through and quoting everyone to respond but 03mustgt is correct for the most part.

When the man said "paraphrase: id shoot myself" and refused transport, the medics would have called the police. As ive said before they probably didn't get the joke.

Now as a medic you have to have consent to treat or transport a person, whether it be implied or expressed. In this case they did not have consent so the only other way to take this man to the hospital is to prove he is mentally incompetent to understand the risk. This would generally come in to play if his injuries could pose life threatening, but the "id shoot myself" comment combined with him possibly being drunk, was reason for the Officers to intervene.

However this does not justify them using tazers IMO

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Ok, how would the officer be civilly liable for the guys suicide when we're being told that Bisard is shielded from civil suits in the death he caused?

Bisard will be civilly liable, IC states that even though you have lights and sirens on you still have to drive with DUE REGARD.

Officer would be civilly liable for neglect of duty. This country is entirely too sue happy.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009

IM not up to date on the Bisard case but had the guy killed himself after the officers and EMT's left and turned out that he was drunk then she would have good reason to sue and more than likely would be succesfull

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    They have several uses. Including preventing injuries to suspects and LE personnel. Lots of info...but worth looking at. IMO...of course.

http://www.taser.com/research/statistics/Documents/TASER%20Injury%20Reduction%20Stats%20PUBLIC%20June%203%202009.pdf

Data concerning the reduction of officer involved shootings begins around page 94 thru page 111 I believe.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    No, but I think talking about shooting yourself in the head.
    Exigent circumstances,

They were going to do an emergency hold on him to cya, he was talking about committing suicide, was clearly upset, and he was drunk.

I think you missed the "if I had a gun" part...which speaks to the fact that they were just words that couldn't be backed up even if he was dead sober and serious. Kinda hard to shoot yourself with no gun.
    There sure has been a lot of omission concerning that part of his statement...

What if that was your loved one ... How would you feel?
    I don't have to play "what if". Unfortunately, I already know.
    I'd lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of the person to whom it belonged.
    (That means the person in question, not the cop who left if/when asked.)

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Well, the cars (around here) do say "To protect and serve", I guess they just left of the word "ourselves".

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I'd lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of the person to whom it belonged.
    (That means the person in question, not the cop who left if/when asked.)

These days you are a rare breed, most are just quick to file lawsuit

Top Bottom