• ...and so much more!
  • canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    That's all that's on the label.
    Most likely a surplus sold at gun shows.
    DLM from Ashland City, Tn sold a lot of WC842, 844 and 846 that I know of. I don't know if he sold this powder.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I broke down and called David, DLM Reloading.
    He remembers that powder, said if you bought it from him you got a powder to compare with.
    He's been retired for about 10 years and isn't in that good of health.
    Said to use data for 1680, start 20% less.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Has anyone bought this 7.62X39 Gunpowder 8#? Just a white label on a black plastic jug. Do you have a powder to compare with it?
    Negative.
    Never heard of such a powder.
    If you are dead set to using this unknown I suggest you don't, but if you do tie a string to the trigger and stand behind a tree or engine block to test it in a firearm you can do without.
    Set a chronograph up to catch the velocity, after you check the spent brass if your rifle made it through the first shot for pressure signs. Then repeat safe procedure a few more times with chronograph to check speed.
    Be safe than sorry.

I would not have bought that powder.

Can you post a picture of the label?
    Or does it literally just have in someone's hand writing 7.62x39mm powder?

Reactions: Mij

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Pull down or 3rd world surplus powders are completely off my "willing to use" list. If in doubt, throw it out.

Fingers, faces and eyes are hard to replace and firearms are not cheap.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Pull down or 3rd world surplus powders are completely off my "willing to use" list. If in doubt, throw it out.

Fingers, faces and eyes are hard to replace and firearms are not cheap.
    I've shot dozens of pulldown 8 pounders in the last 40 years. Never a problem. I probably have 8-10 left from when Talen was in business. I will cry when it's gone.

Reactions: Leo

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I called the reloading vendor that we use to deal with last night. He remembers that powder, if you bought it from him the powder to compare with was on a post-it note on the jug. Use 20% less at start with 1680 data.
    Looking at 7.62X39 in my Speers manual I'd use data for IMR 4227. It's a bit more than 25% less at start.
    "Any powder I don't know or trust goes in a jug for future stump removal." At $75 for 8# I'd be looking for comparable data. It's out there, just got to search.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I called the reloading vendor that we use to deal with last night. He remembers that powder, if you bought it from him the powder to compare with was on a post-it note on the jug. Use 20% less at start with 1680 data.
    Looking at 7.62X39 in my Speers manual I'd use data for IMR 4227. It's a bit more than 25% less at start.
    "Any powder I don't know or trust goes in a jug for future stump removal." At $75 for 8# I'd be looking for comparable data. It's out there, just got to search.
    Good Luck!!!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Sounds dead set on using it. I hope he/they use a string to see if it doesn’t blow up the rifle into their face, neck, hands etc.

Well he tends to ask questions not just here but a few other forums and basically no matter what others post, he answers his own questions. Same screen name.
    Screenshot_20240319_235754_Chrome.jpg

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I accidentally dumped less than a tablespoon of 8208 XBR into my 1 pound jug of to W 231. Now I’m gonna dump the whole thing in a pile on the driveway and light it up because I’m afraid what might happen if I attempted to use it contaminated in this way.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    He probably is getting the same answers. Don't use it. That's the answers he's not liking.
    Me, I would certainly use it. But He was told to go by certain data for a reason.
    You just don't change what powders data and use it because that's what you feel like doing.
    There are some powders that you can't start at the minimum load data and then drop that by 25% to start your workup.
    It's an easy way to have a firearm evaporate in your hands.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Me, I would certainly use it. But He was told to go by certain data for a reason.
    You just don't change what powders data and use it because that's what you feel like doing.
    There are some powders that you can't start at the minimum load data and then drop that by 25% to start your workup.
    It's an easy way to have a firearm evaporate in your hands.
    I would not use that because you have no idea what's in it. What if the person maked the container wrong?
    For instance it's supposed to be like Accurate 1680, but the powder that was put in the container is say something like Titewad?

Top Bottom