• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I would not use that because you have no idea what's in it. What if the person maked the container wrong?
    For instance it's supposed to be like Accurate 1680, but the powder that was put in the container is say something like Titewad?
    Lol, I've like many others have bought pull down in containers like plain metal varsol cans, white and black plastic jugs, 32 lb drums and a few times in brown grocery sacks. Some of it was was bought for $3.00 a pound. These are every bit of 30 yrs old. When I bought them I took a sharpie and wrote on the label and one the can what was in the can.
    I'm pretty certain just with pulldown #8 I can learn what data to use.
    Jeff Bartlett or the McDonald bros is who I would ask first.
    20240303_145500.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Lol, I've like many others have bought pull down in containers like plain metal varsol cans, white and black plastic jugs, 32 lb drums and a few times in brown grocery sacks. Some of it was was bought for $3.00 a pound. These are every bit of 30 yrs old. When I bought them I took a sharpie and wrote on the label and one the can what was in the can.
    I'm pretty certain just with pulldown #8 I can learn what data to use.
    Jeff Bartlett or the McDonald bros is who I would ask first.
    View attachment 341407
    He doesn't have pull down he has unknown powder from an unknown person bought at a show. In fact it's stated he has no Clue where it came from post #3.
    Like you stated he's answering his own questions about it or making them up as he goes.
    I have no problem buying pull down from a respectable known company.
    But I have a huge problem buying pull down powder from John Doe with Fly By Night Inc.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    "I accidentally dumped less than a tablespoon of 8208 XBR into my 1 pound jug of to W 231."
    What you doing with 2 different powers on your bench at once?
    My powder is locked in a closet. Only the powder I'm working with is in the cabinet under the bench. I refill the hopper and put it back.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There used to be a "gypsy" salesman that came around to trap shots with an unmarked van full of stuff at reasonable price. He sold pop bottles with powder that was supposed to be Red Dot. He said he bought it by the barrel to get a good price. Things like wads and unbranded lead shot do not have as much chance for problems, but I never bought powder from him. Some guys did, it is a free country.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    "In fact it's stated he has no Clue where it came from post #3."
    By the person's profile we are 180 miles apart. He could have bought it from DLM Reloading at a Jackson gun show or another vendor at another show. DLM puts a post-it note every jug he sells with the start charge of another powder and a charge that should give you good ammo. Plus he'll tell you the same thing.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    "I accidentally dumped less than a tablespoon of 8208 XBR into my 1 pound jug of to W 231."
    What you doing with 2 different powers on your bench at once?
    My powder is locked in a closet. Only the powder I'm working with is in the cabinet under the bench. I refill the hopper and put it back.
    I was new to reloading at the time and it was a big mistake. I had no powder jugs at my loading station and just grabbed the wrong jug off the shelf to recycle it into.

I’ve learned my lesson and not done anything like that since.

I’m just glad it was only a 1 pound jug, that I didn’t pay very much for at the time.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    He doesn't have pull down he has unknown powder from an unknown person bought at a show. In fact it's stated he has no Clue where it came from post #3.
    Like you stated he's answering his own questions about it or making them up as he goes.
    But I have a huge problem buying pull down powder from John Doe with Fly By Night Inc.
    I'm just saying how I have bought it over the years, sometimes in a 8 lb and up to a 32 lb cardboard drum. I never sold any, but if I had it wouldn't have had a nice printed label on any I would have sold.
    If the seller had a bunch of it, it wouldn't have bothered me to bother me at all.

I like the fact that its in a modern 8lb black plastic jug with 7.62x39 on it.
    Me, if the price was right, it looked right and smelled right, I would buy it.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Late '70's and early '80's there were 21 guys at work that loaded shotshell. Another coworker would check with the others since he dealt with supplies, sometimes guns. I can hear him now, I'm bringing supplies payday, bring your Red Dot containers. His van would be sitting low when crossing the tracks.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    And really in essence with buying de-milled powder and other reloading products, when a reseller goes to repackage products like powder how difficult is it really to print the wrong labels when breaking down a few 55 gallon drums into 8# jugs?
    I mean when one opens a jug of WC 846/BLC2 and its a stick powder, Houston we Have a Problem.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    And really in essence with buying de-milled powder and other reloading products, when a reseller goes to repackage products like powder how difficult is it really to print the wrong labels when breaking down a few 55 gallon drums into 8# jugs?
    I mean when one opens a jug of WC 846/BLC2 and its a stick powder, Houston we Have a Problem.
    I'm not sure how John Doe from Fly By Night Inc can do such things. I rather not trust John when I don't have to.
    I can buy powder from reputable sources just as cheap.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm not sure how John Doe from Fly By Night Inc can do such things. I rather not trust John when I don't have to.
    I can buy powder from reputable sources just as cheap.
    Ive bought it off loading docks from at least two de millers in my life.
    All of the pull-down powder I bought was between $3.00 to $9.00 a lb. Your not going to buy 5010 about the cheapest you can buy today for $9.00 a pound, plus hazmat and shipping.
    About the cheapest one can buy that I know of is 8lb jugs of pull down WC872, $100.00 for an 8lb jug from Bartlett.
    Unless your loading heavy 50BMG or 20MM what are you going to do with it?

What powders are you going to buy in those price ranges.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ive bought it off loading docks from at least two de millers in my life.
    All of the pull-down powder I bought was between $3.00 to $9.00 a lb. Your not going to buy 5010 about the cheapest you can buy today for $9.00 a pound, plus hazmat and shipping.
    About the cheapest one can buy that I know of is 8lb jugs of pull down WC872, $100.00 for an 8lb jug from Bartlett.
    Unless your loading heavy 50BMG or 20MM what are you going to do with it?

What powders are you going to buy in those price ranges.
    So you are saying you didn't buy from unknown sources? That's the who argument.
    You keep bringing up you have bought powder from known sources.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So you are saying you didn't buy from unknown sources? That's the who argument.
    You keep bringing up you have bought powder from known sources.
    I have bought quite a bit from gun show tables that I have no idea who the sellers are and where those jugs of powder have traveled. I have posted here in the last 3 months that I have bought a 8lb just missing one lb of VV N560. I believe it was $140.00 or $160.00 bucks.
    And another 8 lb jug of :dunno: for $180.00 as I recall. I posted it in the reloading section after I bought it.
    I can't even think how many one pounders I have bought over the decades the same way.

If you have bought any pull down from vendors/resellers like Pats Tumblers in Ohio, you easily could have bought powder scooped out of 55 gallon cardboard drums. Would you question did they scoop it from the right drum just because they are a known vendor?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have bought quite a bit from gun show tables that I have no idea who the sellers are and where those jugs of powder have traveled. I have posted here in the last 3 months that I have bought a 8lb just missing one lb of VV N560. I believe it was $140.00 or $160.00 bucks.
    And another 8 lb jug of :dunno: for $180.00 as I recall. I posted it in the reloading section after I bought it.
    I can't even think how many one pounders I have bought over the decades the same way.

If you have bought any pull down from vendors/resellers like Pats Tumblers in Ohio, you easily could have bought powder scooped out of 55 gallon cardboard drums. Would you question did they scoop it from the right drum just because they are a known vendor?
    So we're clear if some unknown walked up to you said I have 8lbs of IMR 4895 in a pickle jar for $75 you'll just buy it go home and happily load up your 30-06 cartridges take it out and shoot it in your M1 Garand?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So we're clear if some unknown walked up to you said I have 8lbs of IMR 4895 in a pickle jar for $75 you'll just buy it go home and happily load up your 30-06 cartridges take it out and shoot it in your M1 Garand?

Because pickles do come in glass jars. Not sure I would buy powder in a glass jar.
    And which Garand would I be using?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So I take it as a yes you would buy from anyone, and use the powder. I won't do that.

I don't see a difference between buying Reloaded ammo from some unknown, or buying powder from someone unknown. End result could end up badly if used powder, or reloaded ammo.

That powder you bought was unmarked in a plain jug and unsealed?

I can get pull down pistol powder for $120 for 5lbs.
    Rifle powder for around $200 for 8 lbs.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So I take it as a yes you would buy from anyone, and use the powder. I won't do that.

I don't see a difference between buying Reloaded ammo from some unknown, or buying powder from someone unknown. End result could end up badly if used powder, or reloaded ammo.
    Like I posted above, I'm waiting on an answer from you still.

Waiting on you to post these,,, I can buy powder from reputable sources just as cheap.

Who are these sources?

Top Bottom