• ...and so much more!
  • Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No.

Chances are, if the Gov is bringing them by, they were "usless eaters" before the SHTF and And they will be "usless eaters" after...They will probally rob you and/or kill you or your family the first chance they get.

I would probally give them some food if I had any to spare, but no way I am letting them in the house.

After the Gov folks leave..."Here is a can of spam" ...KA-CHINK! (jacking shotgun) "I better not see you around here again."

Bad enough your kicking them out, but torturing them by making them eat spam? :):

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'm not quite sure what I would do, but I doubt that we would see this situation. Instead, seven days after, government officials with rifles will show up at your door, confiscate your supplies, and take them to whatever public housing facility they have set up. You will then be disarmed, and forced to relocated to said facility.

That's the tin foil hat situation.

In reality, in a true SHTF situation, something on a nation wide or possibly global scale, nobody will come knocking on our doors. Every government agency will be too busy trying to hold everything together that we will be left to fend for ourselves. The SHTF situation that we will run into will be dealing with those who are expecting the government to help, and therefore have not prepared.

+1 on this comment.

I believe if the S truly hits the F at some point, it's going to not be like Germany in the 1930s where people are knocking on your door at night...it'll be like the Wild West. Most people being cool and trying to get by, helping friends and family as they can, with a bunch or nut jobs cruising for whatever they can take from those who are, shall we say, unprepared...

What the past 100 years of government intervention has done to the US is to set most people's expectations that "someone" will be there for them in their hour of need. That presupposition, while comforting as we sit here in front of our 52" TVs with a home-delivered pizza and a case of imported beer from Belgium, is so far removed from the reality of basic human existence that 99% of Americans (Westerners in general?) can't even comprehend what it would be like if Uncle Sam wasn't there to manage their lives for them.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Personally, even with 7 mouths in this home, yes, I would still take them in. There's enough people in this neighborhood to help out and we have enough room to start a community garden with enough retention ponds to filter and boil for water. But if they were to stay in good standing, they'd be helping us fight off the government first. Then they could stay.... :D

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    My motto has always been "I'll help anyone who will help themselves". If the goverment thinks that I'm going to take in even 1 freeloader, let alone 8, and put my family at risk, they're nuts! Sure, I'll let them in and put on a good show while the Revenuers are here, but once they're otta sight, my new hotel guests will be given that facts of life. That fact is, if you want to live, you better start walking now. Mr. Mossberg, Mr. Ruger, and Mr. Kahr will be glad to give them some motavation. If the gov jerks come back and ask about them, well, I don't know why they left, but they chose to do so. Didn't like the rules I guess.

Me and mine come 1st. Period. If the "guests" want to be productive and will carry their weight, no problem. If they think it's free room and board until the gov comes back to rescue them...........well, I hope they've got good shoe leather. They're gonna need it.

Simple question. How many Katrina victms would you let move in with you?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Kuru

Disease transmission by cannibalism: rare event or common occurrence?

Probably a rare occurrence, but the problem is with things like CJD, folks could be asymptomatic for years (as would you be), and once you've got it, you're hosed, period.

Not saying I wouldn't do it to survive, but it would definitely be a last resort, if at all. Hopefully we'll never face that choice :puke:

Thanks for the link. I think it is safe to say I won't ever be practicing necrophagy.

bonsaijackson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    ....the .gov shows up and says you have to take in these 8 people who were stuck in the area when the SHTF.......

No other help for the extra mouths will be provided......

What say you?

Different situations would yield different answers at my door. In a weather related sitch, tornado or flood or such they would not have to ask I would already have as many as I could help.

If the collapse of society is going on, not a flippin chance, I wouldn't be at home anyway. They could have my house for the temp and, I'll be back when the crudstorm is over.

I guess duration is also a consideration and, if their general attitudes and certainly hotness could factor :thatshot:

Jim Gray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Spare bedrooms and double bunking for family, cots (and floor space) in the Teamroom for my bros, heated garage for "knowns", 10x20 shelter for "probables" (room for 6), anyone else....keep on keepin' on.

Food would be a problem, heat and cooking....not so much, water (on a well) would be ok if the genny held up.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom