75th anniversary of D-Day and the Battle of Normandy (2019)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    In November of 1960 The Atlantic magazine published an article by S.L.A. Marshall detailing exactly why and how the cemetery on Omaha Beach was needed. He and other historians were able to track the movements of individual platoons and companies of the first wave to assault the beach and document the outcome of each. Often this included the fate of individual soldiers, sometimes the soldiers just...disappeared, presumably lost to the channel waters. In this article he documents the actions and fates of Able and Baker Companies, 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Division.

Take a few minutes and read this, it is both fascinating and grim.

First Wave at Omaha Beach

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In November of 1960 The Atlantic magazine published an article by S.L.A. Marshall detailing exactly why and how the cemetery on Omaha Beach was needed. He and other historians were able to track the movements of individual platoons and companies of the first wave to assault the beach and document the outcome of each. Often this included the fate of individual soldiers, sometimes the soldiers just...disappeared, presumably lost to the channel waters. In this article he documents the actions and fates of Able and Baker Companies, 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Division.

Well worth the read. Thanks for sharing.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

To this day they are still finding missing soldiers.
    A few years ago they found the body of a missing Canadian soldier who was serving in the US Army.He had been burried by mistake in a German cemetery in France.
    His name was on the walls of the missing at the Normandy American Cemetery.

You also have lots of graves of unknown soldiers.A lot of missing soldiers are burried in military cemeteries, they just don't know who they are.

Many soldiers also have been burried in civilian cemeteries during the war since the current military were not built yet.
    Some have then been moved to military cemeteries, others have been forgotten or have graves marked "a soldier of the second world war"; when they don't even know if he was American, German or French.

There are many crosses without a name at the Normandy American Cemetery.

uscemo-unksold-IMG_7013a.jpg

You also had temporary military cemeteries in France right after the war.
    Bodies have been moved several times so it's easy to lose track of people I would imagine.

original-american-cemetery-normandy-1.jpg

The wall of the missing with thousands of names ...

IMG_4706+small.JPG

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The French president awarded the Legion of Honor medal to five US veterans.

I'm not sure why it took 75 years ...

D8XuFBjXYAErnL_.jpg

1265401.JPG

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The Patrouille de France (French Blue Angels) flying over Omaha Beach, and the US/French presidential couples.

XSAAUZWZGZHW7J5KEY5I2SUDWI.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Over 80 ceremonies took place today along the coast of Normandy.

Some with heads of states from the US, UK and Canada; others involved children from local schools.

fleurissement-B%C3%A9nouville-854x641.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Just awesome! If anyone ever has any doubts if the French are our true friends and allys, one needs to look no further. Thank you Sylvain for this and thank you to The French Republic!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Sylvain, thank you! RADM Don Pardee Moon was on the USS Bayfield directing the Utah Beach invasion as he was the OIC for that endeavor. He later died in Naples,Italy from combat fatigue.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I caught Trump's speech on the 75th anniversary of D Day.

It was about twice as long and 10% as effective as Reagan's 40th anniversary speech.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Got to be unreal meeting a man that shot you during war.

D8ZI2QGW4AE1D76.jpg:small

D8ZI2n9XYAAeMvM.jpg:small

Philosophical question. Should the German soldier who shot the American soldier, all those years, ago feel bad about it? I kinda think it would make more sense for the German guy to say "hey, we were both fighting for our countries. I was doing my duty, and your were doing yours. I'm happy I did not kill you."

My next question, is was that guy really hit in the chest 3 times with an MG?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I caught Trump's speech on the 75th anniversary of D Day.

It was about twice as long and 10% as effective as Reagan's 40th anniversary speech.

In a world of low expectations, I was absolutely thrilled with the president's speech. One of the few times, I didn't roll my eyes and say "what a jackass."

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Philosophical question. Should the German soldier who shot the American soldier, all those years, ago feel bad about it? I kinda think it would make more sense for the German guy to say "hey, we were both fighting for our countries. I was doing my duty, and your were doing yours. I'm happy I did not kill you."

My next question, is was that guy really hit in the chest 3 times with an MG?

German vets are kinda taught by their own government to feel bad about it.
    Heck some of them even had to face justice for serving in their country's armed forces.
    It's illegal for them wear their uniform or wear any medals given to them by Nazi Germany.
    Even if they fought for their country and were awarded a bunch of medels for bravery they are not seen as heroes in their own country.

Maybe he was hit 3 times but not wounded 3 times.Maybe he got really lucky and some of his gear caught the bullets. :dunno:
    You have stories of vets who have been saved by objects in their chest pockets (bible, lighter etc).

Some actually had bullet-proof bibles (with a metal cover).

bpbible_thumb.jpg

wwii-bible2.jpg

Top Bottom