• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I came across this site over the weekend. $150 for one with bulk options of 5 ($143 per), 10 ($138 per), or 20 ($132.50 per). They show in stock but I am a little leary as I have never heard of them before. I am also not terribly thrilled with the permanent trigger guard. I sent them an email Saturday and am awaiting a response. I will give them a call if I don't hear anything by this afternoon.

edited to actually add the site: http://shop.lower80.com/main.sc

Maybe we should start a list of who is in along with how many they want? At least then we will know what we can bargain with if we do find anyone willing to do a bulk buy. The assumption here is that we are paying no more than 150 per worst case.

I will start

Nucular - 3

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    I came across this site over the weekend. $150 for one with bulk options of 5 ($143 per), 10 ($138 per), or 20 ($132.50 per). They show in stock but I am a little leary as I have never heard of them before. I am also not terribly thrilled with the permanent trigger guard. I sent them an email Saturday and am awaiting a response. I will give them a call if I don't hear anything by this afternoon.

edited to actually add the site: TR Enabling

Maybe we should start a list of who is in along with how many they want? At least then we will know what we can bargain with if we do find anyone willing to do a bulk buy. The assumption here is that we are paying no more than 150 per worst case.
    Nucular - 3

Respectfully I think those aren't all that well machined and I would want to see one before I bulk order them. The fact that you can see the toolmarks and it is more boxy than the ones I've seen is not reassuring. If you are deadset on that manufacturer you could probably remove the trigger guard and drill holes that would enable a trigger guard of your preference to be used-I believe the jig I have allows that. The other thing I don't like is that it says "TR machining" or something like that on it. If I'm making it then it's mine and I don't want anyone else's markings on it-that's just my personal opinion.

We may have to wait to get some but even if a ban goes through I don't think they can legitimately outlaw these so they WILL be back in stock eventually.

I was keeping a list but no one was updating it so I quit but here is the updated one based on what I see/saw:

@ jon159753 - The 95% receivers are classified as guns by the ATF so while there may be some machining to do they still have to go through a FFL. At least that is my understanding.

Group buy I have:

2x VeteranUSN (one for buddy of his)
    1x rockhopper46038
    1x cbko4
    Maybe 6mm Shoot
    Maybe Ectoman86
    Maybe Engalwood
    Maybe arthrimus
    Maybe Rhino12 (prefers AR10)
    3+ Nucular
    1+ AttackMonkey
    1+ william
    1+ imp22b
    1+ red46239
    1+ rgoziner
    1+ jon159753

Potentially in for BP

VeteranUSN
    cbko4
    6mm Shoot
    Nucular
    AttackMonkey
    Engalwood
    rockhopper46038
    william
    imp22b (Maybe?)
    red46239 (Maybe?)
    rgoziner (Maybe?)
    jon159753 (Maybe?)

Last edited:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm definitely not deadset on them. I even said I was a bit leary - they are just the only place I have seen that was advertising them as in stock. I would much rather wait for HLF to get some in stock. I actually prefer the smooth lines of a cast lower over any billet lower I have seen.

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    I'm definitely not deadset on them. I even said I was a bit leary - they are just the only place I have seen that was advertising them as in stock. I would much rather wait for HLF to get some in stock. I actually prefer the smooth lines of a cast lower over any billet lower I have seen.

I'll try to take some pics of diyguns lowers as I think they make a reasonable run at quality (they have curves jn the right places ;)) compared to a cast 80% but that's just my opinion. I can't tell if HLF has their buffer tube/tower correctly sized and tapped? If not you'll have to get the tap which I think is about $50 and if you screw up the drilling (which you should probably due by hand which is tedious) or the tapping the receiver is more likely to be useless whereas if you screw up the fire control pocket milling it might look funny but it will function. Just my perspective.

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    HLF Manufacturing replied to my facebook post today.

Hey Guys, we have forgotten about the website but not the machine shop. We are hoping to put a small run up on the site in a couple weeks. Make sure you are registered on the store website and that you check the box. We will email you the moment we list them on the website.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'll try to take some pics of diyguns lowers as I think they make a reasonable run at quality (they have curves jn the right places ;)) compared to a cast 80% but that's just my opinion. I can't tell if HLF has their buffer tube/tower correctly sized and tapped? If not you'll have to get the tap which I think is about $50 and if you screw up the drilling (which you should probably due by hand which is tedious) or the tapping the receiver is more likely to be useless whereas if you screw up the fire control pocket milling it might look funny but it will function. Just my perspective.

It's hard to tell if they are tapped from the photos. I only assume they are as the product description doesn't mention having to do it:

Items to be completed:
    • Trigger Pin Hole
    • Hammer Pin Hole
    • Selector Hole
    • Fire Control Pocket
    • Trigger Slot

VeteranUSN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Wabash Valley
    going off of attack monkey,

2x VeteranUSN (one for buddy of his)
    1x rockhopper46038
    1x cbko4
    Maybe 6mm Shoot
    Maybe Ectoman86
    Maybe Engalwood
    Maybe arthrimus
    Maybe Rhino12 (prefers AR10)
    3+ Nucular
    1+ AttackMonkey
    1+ william
    1+ imp22b
    1+ red46239
    1+ rgoziner
    1+ jon159753
    maybe weakerbrother
    1+ADAM88
    Potentially in for BP

VeteranUSN
    cbko4
    6mm Shoot
    Nucular
    AttackMonkey
    Engalwood
    rockhopper46038
    william
    imp22b (Maybe?)
    red46239 (Maybe?)
    rgoziner (Maybe?)
    jon159753 (Maybe?)

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    It's hard to tell if they are tapped from the photos. I only assume they are as the product description doesn't mention having to do it:

Yeah-that's what I thought too based on the description of work to be done but I couldn't see the threads and you know what they say about assumption... :xmad:

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    Shadow Ops Weaponry. 80% Lower Receivers
    Site says they are in stock for 125 and 150 black anodized
    They will also do custom engraving/serialization for 150

Now that I've completed one I'd like to etch and anodize it. VaderSpade over at ARF gave a really good tutorial on doing so with pretty good results I think:

Dscn7174_zpsc96de449.jpg

I just need to design a logo that I like and is feasible; the latter being by far the most difficult part... :cool: If you look close you will see where it says "Parley", "Argh" and "Plunder" where it might otherwise say "safe", "semi" and "full"... A nice touch :):

I'm hoping that if you were excited before that this REALLY revs you up!! :patriot::ar15:

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    Mine is going to say "Alone, 1st contact, Invasion"
    80% Paperweight Service - Basic Package
    i dont think $50 is a bad price. Just mail it off while it is still at 80%
    And I am REALLY reved up!!!!

That's pretty cool and definitely good to know about. I bought a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Number-Punch-Letter-Numbers/dp/B002JKIPLU"]letter/number punch set[/ame] and had originally planned on using that but haven't tried it yet. If I do I will post to the forum as to how well it works.

VeteranUSN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Wabash Valley
    Now that I've completed one I'd like to etch and anodize it. VaderSpade over at ARF gave a really good tutorial on doing so with pretty good results I think:

Dscn7174_zpsc96de449.jpg

I just need to design a logo that I like and is feasible; the latter being by far the most difficult part... :cool: If you look close you will see where it says "Parley", "Argh" and "Plunder" where it might otherwise say "safe", "semi" and "full"... A nice touch :):

I'm hoping that if you were excited before that this REALLY revs you up!!

:patriot::ar15:

That looks really good

Top Bottom