• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I just got my 80% lower today. It came in the mail. It looks good. I am ready for this build party. I do still need a couple of drill bits that was on your list. I will have them by the time it is to do the build.

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    I just got my 80% lower today. It came in the mail. It looks good. I am ready for this build party. I do still need a couple of drill bits that was on your list. I will have them by the time it is to do the build.
    Where did you order from, how long did it thake to get it.

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    Should we wait for more people to get the 80%'s or just plow ahead and do another build party in another few months? A quarterly event would be fun I think and enable people to learn and teach if they so desire. I'm up for organizing the group buy but there are inadequate resources currently to facilitate it IMO. Besides it's likely to be a cluster guck anyway with all the tools and such needed so maye a smaller trial session is better anyway. PM me if you HAVE an 80% and let me know:
    If you have a jig
    If you have a drill press
    If you have a location that could accommodate several power tools (by that I mean somewhere that could be rigged with a few extension cords that go to different breakers)

jonkertb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Putnam County
    Just found this thread....would like to be in the loop when it's time for a group buy on an 80% lower, would be interested in 1 or 2 depending on price and build location
    tom

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I got mine from Billet Rifle Systems. They cost $149 and 15.45 for shipping. It took them about two weeks to get it to me. It looks good. I still can't find the jig in stock. I am still looking. I think that Billet Rifle Systems is there site.

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    I have 3 lowers to do right now, 2 jigs sets (both from billet80.com) and a LMS 4722 Mill with a tooling package. I am on the SE side of Indy US 40 and German Chruch.

I will be doing them 2 March. I have room for about 15 in my basement, with plenty entertainment for those not on the mill.

I would like someone with a LPK to show up, so we can all use it to dry fit the hammer and trigger, just to make sure..:P Other than that, i don't really care if you have a 80% to cut or not, but preference goes to those who have work to be done.

I have a dog and several cats, if you allergic, don't even try..:P Also i am open to transporting my mill and doing this someplace else, let me know if you have room and power.

6mm is gonna bring his drill press as well, so we can mill with my machine, and drill the 3 holes with his drill press. So far I am up to 4 people, so i have room for about 11 more, please let me know if you wanna come!

Last edited:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I believe HLF Manufacturing updated their site today. The price for their 80% lower went from $90 to $120.

Lower Receivers

Well, that's a little dissapointing although I'm not too surprised I guess. I would still pay 120 but that is getting really close to the cost of a billet one.

I was wondering - how compatible are the various Jigs on the market with all of the different brands of lowers? I would imagine most jigs made for the cast/forged lowers would be interchangeable because most of them (if not all) have the same outer profile. I am guessing that the jigs made for the billet lowers would not be interchangeable since most of the guys making billet lowers do some stuff to 'fancy it up'. Does anyone know?

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    Sadly I can't make March 2-I hope it goes well!! If there are people still interested in finishing other receivers later it would be awesome to make this a quarterly event or simply have occasional build parties!

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    Ya, i plan on doing another AR build in the next 3 months, but i also wanna do a few other builds, like ak, 10-22, and 1911.

I am already planning to convert my mini mill to a cnc machine, and i have already found cad files for everything i could ever want to build.

It would be cool to make 80% receiver kits for all of those, then throw a part and let people finish their own.

And while the mill is rolling, we can use my 3d printer to make 20 round ar mags (the 30 aren't holding up so well so far, need to redesign them more) I use magpul followers and springs.

Chris at billet80 did quote me 165 if i do 25..:( (15 less than it is now, but 15 more than it was when i bought might first round, although they are nice as ****, if anyone wants to check one out let me know.)

I'm good for about 5 more, and he has told me he is working on upper right now, with no set release date, so i will probably see if he will cut me a deal for a stack of those as well.

Last edited:

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    still interested in milling at least 1 80% (preferably a couple though) if we do a group buy and can get them for a decent price.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm more interested in the DIY aspect than the sneaking behind The Man's back with an unserialized rifle aspect. I'd love 5 ARs to go with the 5 Marpat sets I got from SmileDocHill, but I can't see spending more than $100 for any of them, preferably closer to the ~$300 I spent for the packs for the five 80%ers.

Alternatively, I've detailed plans to melt, cast, and forge my own raw blanks IAT.

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    Alternatively, I've detailed plans to melt, cast, and forge my own raw blanks IAT.

If you do this let me know-I would be interested in helping with that project-some years ago before I discovered 80% lowers I had made similar plans and found it significantly more difficult than I anticipated though my funding and time to devote were less than I have now. But I think casting aluminum would be an interesting and valuable skill that I would love to learn more about.

Top Bottom