• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    Okay, i just e-mailed chris about prices for 25 and 50, he responds fast so when he does, i will update.

On a side note, who has sources for LPKs?

And who has room for 15 people to show up and build? I could probably host it, but my space isn't ideal...I have a mini mill and have ordered the bits we need already, but i am not really all that experienced with it.....

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Is this party AR15 exclusive or are there any AR10 builds happening in parallel? Been wanting to try this for a while (but of course, everyone is out).

Thanks
    -Rhino12

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If I bought one I would definitely have to attend the build party. It's a paper weight to me unless we have a place to chuck them up and get the last 20% done. I don't really need another lower, but the coolness of having one completed from 80% is what has my attention :)

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    The List!!

Is this party AR15 exclusive or are there any AR10 builds happening in parallel?

I think the main focus is AR15s however I have recently become interested in AR10's as well. If I can get an 80% AR10 I would be up for that-I will have to look at blueprints/see what other people have done but off the top of my head I think they are very similar, probably just the magwell that is different and so the jigs would probably work fine on AR10s as well... Hmmm.

I have a table top drill press I can bring to the party. Don't know what size drills to get and bring.

Here is what I have found useful (not saying you need to bring it all but the following pieces are necessary or handy and :

Equipment:

• Drill press
    • Mill
    • Vise
    • Jig (usually bought along with 80%)
    • Shop vac
    • Dremel with Grinding Stone & Sanding Bands
    • Calipers

Drill bits/related:
    • 1/8 Drill (I've broken a lot of these so bring a few)
    • 1/4 Drill (Several of these are handy to line up the 80% in the jig)
    • 5/32 Drill
    • 7/16 drill (I have two)
    • 3/8 Drill (I've discovered it is way better to have this in pilot point rather than speedpoint)
    • #40 Drill (Broke one of these in the lower so I ordered 6 more, I should have enough :xmad:)
    • 1/2 Drill
    • #42 Aircraft Extension Drill (for the lowers we have this probably isn't necessary but I don't have one)
    • #3 Drill & 1/4 - 28 Tap (I have 2 of these and I would think that would be enough)
    • 3/16 Allen Hex Wrench
    • Cutting Fluid (WD-40 can work though I use "Tap Magic Aluminum" and I got it at Fastenal I think, it works well not too expensive)
    • 3/8 solid carbide endmill (I think mine is wearing down-will probably get another one...)
    • 1/4 solid carbide endmill
    • Transfer Punch Set (I don't have a good one, would be handy though)
    • 13/64 Drill (hopefully/probably don't need this)
    • 1 1/8 Drill (hopefully/probably don't need this)
    • 1 3/16 - 16 Tap (hopefully/probably don't need this)

Other:
      • Music! :rockwoot:
      • Beer :alcoholic:
      • Personal Protective Equipment (DEFINITELY eyes, ears is +/-)
      • Various metal files may be helpful
      • Clamps (bigger is usually better like Irwin 8" or 12")
      • iPhone or other means for leveling
      • Compressed Air
      • Sharpie
      • Computer to google/look stuff up
      • A completed AR receiver that can be taken apart to see what you're doing/double check

I think I have everything I have listed here so no one necessarily needs to run out and buy it because it does get expensive. The parts that get the most use/wear and are prone to destruction are definitely the 1/8 drill bits, 3/8 drill bits and the 3/8 carbide endmill. Most of the rest of the stuff are only used in one relatively short part of the operation. Phew :n00b:

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Bring some glue and we can add aluminum mustaches to the doodles...:laugh:

Now you're thinking! Seriously if somebody knows how to mill these and there's a build party. I would love to do it. Don't really need another AR, but I would love to have one I milled myself.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Assuming that my NEWB status doesn't exclude me, I'm in for 1 and for attending a build party. Don't have a press or mill, but could pitch in with some items off the 'Other' list.

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    YEAH!!!!!!

Yeah!!! I finally managed to finish my 80% (don't worry I have more to complete) the front take down detent pin was a little off so I probably need to take off a little bit of the surrounding metal so the takedown pin fits better but otherwise it's pretty dang good if I do say so myself. The picture is with the AR57 upper I had. I still need to anodize it but I'll probably wait on that for a while.

I still need to anodize it but will probably hold off until we can do it as a group (for cost measures) or I get tired of waiting and by the stuff myself.

I think I broke 4 1/8" drillbits on it but fortunately I was able to get them all out without needing to dremel anything. I'm so happy/amazed this worked. Now I'm ready to help you all (if you so desire!)

photo1_zpsd48fe07e.jpg

:ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15:

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    I checked and cncguns.com has AR15 jigs in stock (if you don't know a jig is a necessary piece of equipment that holds the 80% block in place and guides where to drill/mill. It is critical. I completed mine using their jig and was very happy with it, it was remarkably easy to use. The milling adapter is also critical though if there are enough people with them you may not need to buy one, I do think that most people should have jigs since 90% of the work requires it so it is harder to have people doing different steps without each individually having one.

In terms of the 80% lowers I believe we are at a count of about 12 to be ordered and pretty much everyone planning on building together if feasible. I may post tomorrow in the group buy section to try to stir up more interest. No need to repost that you want one when I put it in there. Thanks.

jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    Reasonable 80% price is under $100.
    The only site where we could get one by March is $179
    Buy 2 get one sale!
    found this though... http://www.americanspiritarms.com/lower-receivers/asa-m4-ar-15-95-percent-lower-receiver/
    looks like $149 and in stock. maybe they will do a bulk sale????
    I am in if total cost is at $150 or less and we meet at Nucular's place (very close and has everything we need)
    I work at Papa John's so at least one thing will be cheap.

Top Bottom