• Inside Job or not?

• Total voters

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I do feel that even an A.S. helps when it comes to climbing the ladder but don't feel it makes you any smarter... I have forgotten most of the stuff I learned in college and high school.......

The degree helps get you off the "floor" and thats about it really.

I disagree. Especially for technical jobs. You're expected to hit the ground running, and there is a lot more to those jobs than just applying common sense or intuitive know how.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    "Higher Education" has become a racket and should be investigated for RICO violations.

Seriously, we don't need everyone to have a college degree to be able to get a good job, but schools push this nowadays, while not being able to give some kids the same basic education their parents got.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    In all honesty, the smartest man I know, the best businessman, the wealthiest man I know personally, dropped out of high school.

Conversely,

The biggest idiot I know has a PhD and two Master's degrees.

That's not going to be the case every single time, I'm sure, but that's my own experience among the people I know.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    It's all about prejudice.

I was a sergeant in the Army before I ever took a college course. I made staff sergeant about the same time I got my B.A. I got my M.A. a couple of years later, then left the service.

Before I left the army, officers who met me made the initial assumption that I was uneducated and not as smart as they were, based on my rank. I was assumed to have some common sense and down to earth skills, but to lack the intellectual ability to fully comprehend on the level of that lieutenant or captain or major who was the same age as I.

After I left the Army, I heard more than once about how people with masters and PhDs were book smart, but lacked common sense.

I learned a great deal in college. I learned a great deal as an enlisted man in the Army.

I learned a great deal from an older girlfriend I had for a while. Boy, did I.

I was a wicked smart big 'ol tough country boy from Colorado who had a way with the ladies before I went to college, and after.

Like they told you in little league, or peewee football, you get out of it what you put in to it. At least that's what my ex-girlfriend says.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    It's all about prejudice.

I was a sergeant in the Army before I ever took a college course. I made staff sergeant about the same time I got my B.A. I got my M.A. a couple of years later, then left the service.

Before I left the army, officers who met me made the initial assumption that I was uneducated and not as smart as they were, based on my rank. I was assumed to have some common sense and down to earth skills, but to lack the intellectual ability to fully comprehend on the level of that lieutenant or captain or major who was the same age as I.

After I left the Army, I heard more than once about how people with masters and PhDs were book smart, but lacked common sense.

I learned a great deal in college. I learned a great deal as an enlisted man in the Army.

I learned a great deal from an older girlfriend I had for a while. Boy, did I.

I was a wicked smart big 'ol tough country boy from Colorado who had a way with the ladies before I went to college, and after.

Like they told you in little league, or peewee football, you get out of it what you put in to it. At least that's what my ex-girlfriend says.

Keep it G rated; This is a family forum:laugh:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Motive would be having an excuse for a police state and to take away our rights "for our own safety". Didn't you hear Rahm emmanuel say, "never let a good crisis go to waste"?

The problem with that, is Congress already had legislation in the works for just about all the things that went into the PATRIOT :puke: Act. And if I recall those measures had bi-partisan sponsors. They were working towards those things any way, it just would have taken longer.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For what it's worth, some of the smartest men that I know do not have college degrees.

What makes them smart is their willingness to learn new things and their ability to think things through and to think critically.

-J-

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm from NY originally. I never went into the city to take in the sights until my family would go back to visit family. I'm glad that I got the chance to see Manhattan from the observation deck of the WTC...what a beautiful sight, especially at night. Beautiful buildings too; it is really hard to grasp just how enormous the towers were. The feeling would probably be the same seeing Chicago from the Sears Tower.

I watched the events of 9/11 live on the news that morning. It honestly broke my heart watching the Towers fall. I've watched the conspiracy videos; I've watched the videos explaining why there was no conspiracy. I've read the essays and the articles...and ultimately I fall back to what I saw with my own eyes. Two fully loaded airliners, essentially flying gas cans when it gets right down to it, slammed into WTC. The resulting fires weakened the internal structure of the Towers and once that structure started to fail there was no way that either Tower would have stayed up.

I think that there are so many questions floating around because it was such an extraordinary event. There's really nothing to compare it to, no other 1k+ foot tall building being hit by a full loaded airliner...no video evidence to compare, no twisted and destroyed steel to compare. So all the experts on both sides of the issue are trying to explain the dynamics of something that they've never seen before and are trying to extrapolate what happened from experimentation and their expertise. Frankly I hope that there is never another event where the data and evidence from WTC could be used to answer the questions of why and how.

I am glad that the conspiracy people are out there asking questions and all that stuff though.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm from NY originally. I never went into the city to take in the sights until my family would go back to visit family. I'm glad that I got the chance to see Manhattan from the observation deck of the WTC...what a beautiful sight, especially at night. Beautiful buildings too; it is really hard to grasp just how enormous the towers were. The feeling would probably be the same seeing Chicago from the Sears Tower.

I watched the events of 9/11 live on the news that morning. It honestly broke my heart watching the Towers fall. I've watched the conspiracy videos; I've watched the videos explaining why there was no conspiracy. I've read the essays and the articles...and ultimately I fall back to what I saw with my own eyes. Two fully loaded airliners, essentially flying gas cans when it gets right down to it, slammed into WTC. The resulting fires weakened the internal structure of the Towers and once that structure started to fail there was no way that either Tower would have stayed up.

I think that there are so many questions floating around because it was such an extraordinary event. There's really nothing to compare it to, no other 1k+ foot tall building being hit by a full loaded airliner...no video evidence to compare, no twisted and destroyed steel to compare. So all the experts on both sides of the issue are trying to explain the dynamics of something that they've never seen before and are trying to extrapolate what happened from experimentation and their expertise. Frankly I hope that there is never another event where the data and evidence from WTC could be used to answer the questions of why and how.

I am glad that the conspiracy people are out there asking questions and all that stuff though.

Just like some of the German wives that came back with soldiers after WWII. I have met those that still do not believe the holocaust happened. When something so terrible and out of normal experience happens, there will always be those that cannot or will not believe it. In the case of the WTC, so much was destroyed and unexplained that it just leaves an opening for conspiracy theories. I happen to have a widely varied background in physics, math, mechanics, electronics, etc. and can understand how they would come down considering everything that happened. I find the official explanations and the debunker's completely believable.

Do I trust central control? Not in a NY minute and the larger government gets the more dangerous it gets in that massive cold impersonal authoritarian way, but I do have more faith in Americans and even the politicians to want to do the right thing in the long run.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I disagree. Especially for technical jobs. You're expected to hit the ground running, and there is a lot more to those jobs than just applying common sense or intuitive know how.

For something like Eng or machinist I see your point.

Me learning how to fix Cessna 172's in school did not help much when I got a job and had to learn how to work on commercial airliners..... I learned the basics yes and thats about it. Now if I was a Machinist though or an engineer then I can see how you would use a lot of what you learned in school.

At some point though you do hit road blocks climbing the ladder unless you have a degree and even then somethings a B.S. is not enough.

I have know some people there are machinist and they make really good money and are happy on the floor. Some gigs though are just to hard on your body or healths after a while.

Top Bottom