• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Wouldn't it be safe to say that there is no "magic" or best round?

No. It wouldn't be safe to say that. .45 ! And its not a leftover meal, so don't wrap it in tupperware!

Ok you caught me I don't really believe that, but this thread hasn't been too inflammatory yet so somebody has to start. In the Glock vs. Sig thread Fenway called for blood... doesnt this seem like just as deserving a place? Also, I cannot believe that no one yet has mentioned: They all fall to hardball!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Also, I cannot believe that no one yet has mentioned: They all fall to hardball!

It's true! It's a little known fact that the last time Godzilla went on a rampage, the Japanese tried everything including Chuck Norris to stop him. Finally, they had to call LtCol Jeff Cooper, who dropped Godzilla with .45ACP 230gr FMJ. There is an asterisk beside the entry in the history books because he actually fired a controlled pair, although most believe Godzilla was no longer a threat after the first round hit.

The only force in the universe more powerful than .45ACP hardball is Captain James T. Kirk when he does the Thing Where He Jumps in the Air and Kicks With Both Feet (TTWHJITAAKWBF).

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    barring having a concealed james t kirk or chuck norris (the two most powerful forces in the known universe, do the math), shot placement, as shay says, is the key. when forced by circumstances ( issued ammo), the .45 was my choice. now, with modern ammunition, i choose the 9mm. not because of the first shot, but the 3rd or 4th or... and the platform.

and some of us may know the 2 feet jump thingie as john o'rourke's double TKD kick. hehe. anyone catch the reference?

Nathan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Wabash, Indiana
    i like my 9mm. ammo isn't too expensive and it does it's job if the shots are properly placed. i've got the hollow points with the polymer tips or whatever they are. so in my opinion, 9mm is the way to go. that and my sw9ve has 16+1 capacity, so i agree with the plan A plan B plan C thing as well

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    and some of us may know the 2 feet jump thingie as john o'rourke's double TKD kick. hehe. anyone catch the reference?

Only a man who:
    • Carries a pair of Detonics Combat Masters in a dual Alessi shoulder rig;
    • Wears aviator sunglasses because the normal light hurts his super night-vision eyes;
    • Carries an AG Russell Sting;
    • Wears a Rolex Submariner;
    • Has a super-secret subterranean retreat in the Georgia Mountains stocked with every conceivable need and resource;
    • Is a physician and a superhuman killing machine; and
    • Won't cheat on his wife, even if she's in suspended animation and he's got the hottest Russian superspy chick on the line . . .
    . . . could possible perform a double TKD kick!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    bravo, rhino. john r is the only variable when computing the JTK/CN equation. James T and Chuck are quite manly, but John R is beyond 007 cool.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Whichever one I can consistently put rounds in a fist sized hole with.

Honestly, Caliber debates are silly. Most modern rounds penetrate nearly the same amount. All of the handgun calibers suck. Use a rifle or a shotgun. ;)

I couldn't have said that better myself.

With that said, I prefer a .45ACP for sure...But I carry handguns because rifles don't conceal as easy.:)

If there is a bump in the night, you better believe I'm grabbing my AR15.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Yamaha:

Your magazines were illegal in South Bend?

as per ordinances, hi capacity mags are illegal there(what Ive found) I have yet to find the ordinance, but you cannot buy them, and have been told you aren't allowed to carry them there.

My g17 came with the factory 17's, as opposed to the 15rd ones(which are legal there apparently) I was about to post a thread asking if that were indeed true there.
    I am planning a trip up there in june to visit friends, so I am going to be after a clarification. also, my mags are factory and do not have law enforcement only stamps on them

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Because .45's are magic.....

Boyfriend shot in head survives - mlive.com
    DEAN BOHN
    THE SAGINAW NEWS Despite getting hit in the forehead with a .45-caliber slug during a domestic dispute, a 34-year-old Saginaw man has a good chance at surviving without any permanent harm -- except the scars, police officials say.
    The man, who also suffered a gunshot wound to his inner thigh, was in a Saginaw hospital in critical condition Tuesday afternoon.
    Bridgeport Township police just after 2 a.m. Tuesday answered a 911 call from a woman at 2093 California reporting a man was shot, said Acting Sgt. Brandon McAllister.

''The woman gave her name as Michelle, but there was no Michelle located or identified,'' McAllister said, saying the caller likely was the man's 25-year-old Saginaw girlfriend. Police suspect she fired the shots, then gave a false name.
    One bullet from the semi-automatic handgun entered the man's forehead, traveled along the inside of his skull and exited the right side of his head near his ear.

''The doctor said he has a minor contusion to the brain in one lobe, and so far there is no brain swelling, but we have to wait up to 72 hours to see if any swelling develops,'' McAllister said.
    The other slug entered his left rear hip area and exited through his inner thigh, he said.
    The shooter left the residence before police arrived, but Saginaw police arrested a woman at 2:40 a.m. near the Buena Vista Township intersection of Bertha and Eva.
    ''She initially was claiming it was an abusive relationship, but then she started asking for a lawyer,'' McAllister said.
    ''She's lodged in jail for attempted murder, and we expect to have the warrant filed (today).''
    McAllister said the shooting victim has a criminal record that includes domestic abuse. The woman does not have a criminal history, he said.

Top Bottom