• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwright2882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2019
    Greenwood
    Started with 40, too sharp (uncomfortable)
    Got a 45, 9, 38/357 (wheel guns)
    Traded in the 45 to consolidate calibers
    9mm, can carry more ammo in the field with less weight etc. Seems to be a sweet spot for handgun calibers. Also very affordable and readily available.

TacOpsGuy320

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Greenfield
    Not sure there is a best. Department I worked for carried 40 and it worked well. I personally like 9mm as with well placed shots it’s very efficient. Ultimately it’s really what someone feels the most competent with. Everyone should train the right way and carry what they feel most confident with.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not sure there is a best. Department I worked for carried 40 and it worked well. I personally like 9mm as with well placed shots it’s very efficient. Ultimately it’s really what someone feels the most competent with. Everyone should train the right way and carry what they feel most confident with.

^^^^^^^^^
    THIS!!!

People can argue all they want, There's a lot of variables involved besides the caliber you're shooting.

Weight of the firearm, size, barrel length, double/single stack along with grip circumference and length, there is no magic one size fits all.

Find the firearm/caliber combination that suits you best, that allows you to put consistent rounds on target, because if you don't/can't do that, you'll never be given a
    chance to be judged by 12, you'll be carried by 6 because you worried about caliber instead of what was best for you to shoot. My goal is to be the one walking away
    if I'm ever put in this situation.

I own ALL three calibers, I must have handled dozens of each one before coming to a conclusion on each particular firearm and even before I bought each one, I sought
    out a chance to fire each one before purchasing.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The best caliber is the one that you can hit with. My father carried a 44 magnum revolver when I was home and for many years. As he got older he changed to the 45acp in a 1911. Now that he's pushing 80 he's now carrying a 38 special snub nose, and a pocket 22lr pistol. It's what he can handle now. So the perfect caliber will be different for everyone and at every stage of life it is most likely to change just as my father's carry has.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Personally I think the .36 round ball is the best. 6 or 7 to the upper chest/ face area most times stops anyone or any animal other than an elephant.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Personally I think the .36 round ball is the best. 6 or 7 to the upper chest/ face area most times stops anyone or any animal other than an elephant.

Really, Seriously? You do realize it's 2020 and it's not the dark ages.

Plan on shooting it at a charging intruder on horseback?

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Fotay

B2G0Fje.png

NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    What in your "opinion" is the best defensive handgun round?
    9mm

Inquiring minds want to know!:dunno:

I've owned all 3 in carry gun rotations. Currently only own one pistol caliber and that's .9
    I am not a fan of .40, grew up shooting .9 and .45 so i think that might be part of my bias but i had a Glock 23, i did shoot it really well and its impact was alot harder hitting than the .9 but its snappyness and cost is a negative for me. I'd rather chose the .45 over the .40, cost is around the same and I personally am alot more comfortable with it. Now for .9 its cheap the HP's ballistics are getting better and better, its very easy to shoot and the capacity for me even in subcompacts is the selling point for me.

Top Bottom