• ...and so much more!
  • OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    You get 6 shots without the hassle. Still dangerous enough to practice all the safety. More fun than a BB gun.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Facebook post from our local indoor range here in Evansville, Uncle Rudy's, concerning the current shortage...

Uncle Rudy's

July 5 at 9:38 PM ·

Well folks, it looks like the ammo shortage is getting real. We just paid $25/box for range 9mm. Which means virtually overnight, we have to increase our prices from 14.99 to $29/box. 9mm supply has dried up across the country. Production is not keeping up with nationwide demand. I spoke to one manufacturer last month, and they told me there was a primer shortage. This makes sense, as you cannot even find primers for 9mm right now for those that reload.
    As much as I hate to tell you this, if you find 9mm or 223/5.56 range friendly ammo in stores, you should buy it. We simply cannot find enough supply to keep up with our own demand like we had hoped we would. NONE of our wholesalers have had ammunition in stock in over two months. We have been buying from other retail sites to keep our shelves filled. Now the pendulum is moving to the extreme, where online shops are charging ridiculous amounts for cases of 9mm ball ammunition, and we have no choice but to pay for it.
    I have tried unsuccessfully to purchase pallet quantities of ammunition for 3 months from countless providers. None can fill the orders.
    Every wholesaler in the country has warehouses that are empty. We have not seen this great of a demand since after World War II.
    We will do whatever we can to keep the supply coming in, just please don't be mad at us at the prices we have to charge. We are doing everything we can to leverage our buying power to reduce costs. Our entire industry is suffering because of this shortage.
    Thank you for your continued support! We will continue to be open for you!-Rudy

Yeah, this sucks. Ammoseek is still your friend but the prices reflect the panic in the air.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    during these times can we honestly be so picky to only look at factory / commercial ammo? i prefer to use my whole garage of tools, not just 1 tool box

Dude, enhance your calm.

The OP can address what they like, and do what they like. I'm simply staying on point and replying to their post.

I'm going to stop replying, not out of rudeness, but this just is irrelevant.

Good day.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Sheep have to be "sheared" on a periodic basis.

"Remember, boys and girls - .40 S&W is a stupid caliber - sell your guns and get 9mms."

Fire up the clippers.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Been stopping in at the local RK everyday after work to see if they have any in stock. No joy for the past 2 weeks. They DO have a table full of 40 though. At least a couple cases of it, a little 45 but not much. 8 boxes of 38 super with a nice large and neon warning sign that it is not 38 special ammo.

I just joined the GSSF so I could shoot the match in October this year. I really wanted to give the new 43X & 48 a workout before then, guess that probably won't happen. At some point I may take one of the Glock coupons and pick up a 40 just to have that base covered.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    45ACP.
    Easier to reload, Easier to cast, Better ballistics in lead cast than a 9mm.

So one must understand that if the masses are sold (toyed ballistics) and Nato backed 9MM is somehow perceived to be the best ammo then 2 things happen. In over abundance times the supply is a lower cost to the general consumer....but when the masses are all surging to get the same ammo the pond dries up. Go figure. Deutsche Waffen probably knew this in 1902 when the kinder gentler round was invented. Go figure.

I will stick with the 45 as well.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    So one must understand that if the masses are sold (toyed ballistics) and Nato backed 9MM is somehow perceived to be the best ammo then 2 things happen. In over abundance times the supply is a lower cost to the general consumer....but when the masses are all surging to get the same ammo the pond dries up. Go figure. Deutsche Waffen probably knew this in 1902 when the kinder gentler round was invented. Go figure.

I will stick with the 45 as well.

is that a whole other thread conspiracy of 9mm lol. Yikes a don’t want to head that one, but I’m not saying yes or no.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I got the same call last Friday.... Hey, uh we want to take the daughter and her new boyfriend and introduce him to the family hobby but me and the father-in-law got bored and burned through my range stash the other day..... Yeah?..... Nobody locally has any 9mm or hardly anything else, I'm ordering some but that doesn't help me today..... So what up?..... Any chance you have some I could get from you?

If you can burn through your stash in a day then you really do not have a stash.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    during these times can we honestly be so picky to only look at factory / commercial ammo? i prefer to use my whole garage of tools, not just 1 tool box

Come on man stay on point. We get it. You are a re-loader. OK fair enough.
    I am not. But I stay stocked because I am not.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    I echo the sentiment of some other posters in this thread. There are people right now who have lived through shortages before and still did not stock up when 9mm ammo became dirt cheap. 9mm has been dirt cheap for at least two years. So to see people who are unprepared in a panic, I have little pity for them and it is occasionally amusing.

dan1001s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    OK we have been over this road many times since Sandy Hook.

-We have openly discussed in this forum that anything pops up we will be searching for ammo as the existing supply's will be gone.
    -We have always stated that having an ample reserve on hand is more than prudent.
    -Buy when your budget allows and don't pass on any deals you may see. You will "REGRET" it as some are right now.
    -If you buy as you shoot then this is what you get. And it is not the 1st nor will it be the last time we see this.
    -I have 2 life long friends that buy as they shoot. A range trip meant stopping for ammo on the way. Ever since I have known them, and they have not changed. I got a call just a day or so back.......Hey mouse you have any 9mm.......Me,sure why.........I need some..........Me, so what am I to do.........Sell me some.......Me, :lmfao:

You are either prepared or just sucking oxygen peoples.
    No knock on the OP. This is all too common.

Seriously, we cant get anything "Geared up" with this invented political virus shutting everything down.

I appreciate the advice. Having only been shooting for 2 months I am still looking at what’s what in buying and accumulating ammo. Not sure I’ve yet seen any opportunities to “stash” anything, especially in 9mm. That’s why I asked.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Come on man stay on point. We get it. You are a re-loader. OK fair enough.
    I am not. But I stay stocked because I am not.

I was simply saying reloaders may be the best source at this point if you can find one to reload for you in your caliber. 9mm is hard right now. From what I've read from uncle rudy even primers are now getting hard to get.

people have differing opinions on "stockpile" and "safe amount on hand". although i think ive seen other posts along those lines. Even if someone gets bored and decides to go shooting it should be in their better judgment to not burn every round they have. If anything this tends to show their mindset in preparations. No fault of anyone buy themselves really.

If someone brings me the materials I can setup for 9mm for them and run it next to nothing. But materials are even hard right now. only thing ive seen on shelves are the really odd-ball calibers. and even those are starting to get snapped up.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    What’s the point in trying to get all into 9mm technology when there’s no ammo to be had? Are we getting starved out? How long does it take for mfr to gear up for demand? At what point do shooters abandon 9mm for more available ammo?

gearing up for more demand on a business is far more complicated than hiring a few people. you have to get the base resources. those are now in short supply.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    If you can burn through your stash in a day then you really do not have a stash.

2OTXxCB.jpg

That's a nice stash you have there......

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I echo the sentiment of some other posters in this thread. There are people right now who have lived through shortages before and still did not stock up when 9mm ammo became dirt cheap. 9mm has been dirt cheap for at least two years. So to see people who are unprepared in a panic, I have little pity for them and it is occasionally amusing.

It's not surprising that we have a problem considering the number of new gun owners that have entered the fray in the last couple of months coupled with the pandemic, current political situation, riots and the like. I have a bit of sympathy for the newbies but the people that lived though this a few years ago and still didn't have more than 3 boxes "stashed" I have no sympathy for.

Protip-- a pistol is of NO value without ammo and little value without a good magazine. Without ammo you have been effectively disarmed.

This situation will pass in time (unless the current administration is removed) and when it passes consider a little larger stash. It's no secret that there are some in Washington that want all of us disarmed so try to plan ahead and avoid playing into they're hands.

Again CM you supply my chuckle of the day by highlighting the obvious. :lmfao:

Please spare me Uncle Rudy, it's bad but not that bad. You should consider stopping by Parabellum and picking up some ammo. They have some steel case 9 they are still selling in bulk and Parabellum is selling it a lot cheaper than Rudy says he's buying it. :dunno:
    Even in today's world there's ammo out there. I've managed to score some in the last week at a decent price but you're not going to find it without putting your nose to the ground in times like this.:ranton:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

Last edited:

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish

Kinda what I thought but when you have 4 kids and average 3 days off a month getting to the range regularly is probably the last thing on your mind. Let alone keeping track of target ammo stash size, as long as the good stuff stash is still there.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Democratic gun control, the second amendment is about keeping and bearing arms.
    no ammo your guns are now bricks.
    next year ammo will probably be restricted licensed regulated and taxed.

Top Bottom