• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firstshot1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I'm looking to get a M&P 357 compact or a 9 compact. Anybody have any good or bad about them?

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I would suggest the 40 route also but 9 will work, 357 sig is a answer to a question nobody asked on paper all sorts of merits but logistics say no,

Firstshot1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Get the M&P compact 40. You can buy a .357 barrel later and shoot .357 Sig using the same .40 magazines. You can also buy a 9mm conversion barrel and shoot 9mm with 9mm magazines.

You cannot, however, get the 9mm and shoot .357 or .40 in it later.

I have a M&P 40c but I wanted something to play with while at the range to mix it up.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm looking to get a M&P 357 compact or a 9 compact. Anybody have a any good or bad about them?

Go price ammo. You'll answer your own question.

You could buy the 40c and then the 9mm barrel and 9mm mags, but that will double your investment.

Just buy the 9mm. Buy some Speer Gold Dots for personal defense and you'll have all bases covered...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The .357SIG bullet is actually a .355 caliber (9mm) bullet. It's just sitting atop a .40 S&W casing that has been necked down to hold the .355 caliber bullet! The only real difference between a standard 9mm and the .357sig is the velocity...and that the .357SIG is goin' really fricken' fast! Velocity is the main difference, turning the 124 grain 9mm bullet into having 'magnum' (which simply means 'more) capabilities. Some reports have stated that the .357SIG is within 3% of the .357mag (which is a revolver round). :cool:

I have a Glock 32 (.357SIG) and it's both fun to shoot and incredibly accurate for a 4" gun...mainly because the bullet has such a flat trajectory (it's going so fast it forgets to drop off for a while). It does have a pretty harsh pop when you fire it...I wear both ear plugs AND muffs when I shoot this thing! I bought a .40 S&W barrel for it...so I can shoot .40 as well...and that makes a nice difference. My wife has a Glock 26, which I will only carry if I have CorBon's in it as they come closer to the ballistics (recoil) that I prefer to feel when I fire the gun...otherwise, I don't bother with 9mm. :noway:

I was at a junk yard with a K-9/SWAT buddy of mine and we were shooting his Sig Sauer 9mm, Dept. issue weapon...and watching as the 147 grain department issue bullets bounced off of windshields and stuff. The .357 mag (and SIG) were both blowing right through everything, right where you pointed it, without any problems. Even his 'off duty' Officer's Model .45 penetrated everything. But that 9mm round...after that experience...I wouldn't stake my life on it. When bullet penetration is a key element for incapacitating a bad guy, I want something that will actually do that...like a .357sig, .357mag, .40 S&W, 10mm, .45acp, etc. :yesway:

My recommendation, get the .357sig...you can get a .40 barrel for it and you won't have to change anything else on the gun to shoot a different caliber. If you want, you can also get a 9mm conversion barrel (and 9mm mags) to shoot the cheaper 9mm round, for practice!

Lastly, if you have the $$, get a .22lr pistol...you can shoot all day for just pennies with a .22...and it's still practice! :D

Best...:twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    A couple of additions here...

If you are using a .40 and switching to a .357 Sig Barrel Switch the springs out also...

The .357 Sig is not a necked down .40 S&W cartridge, but closer to a necked and trimmed 10mm cartridge...

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    When bullet penetration is a key element for incapacitating a bad guy, I want something that will actually do that...like a .357sig, .357mag, .40 S&W, 10mm, .45acp, etc. :yesway:

That's just it, its not. Shot placement is.

This study shows that penetration is about the same: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

In fact, the right 9mm round penetrates every bit as good as the .357 sig or .40 S&W.

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking to get a M&P 357 compact or a 9 compact. Anybody have any good or bad about them?

Unless you reload, I would stick to the 9mm. The .357 sig is a great round, but is very expensive and not the easiest to find. Actually, to get the most out of it, you have to buy the better ammo, or reload. As for the range ammo, its still expensive and its junk ! It is not loaded even close to its potential, so might as well cut the cost in half and shoot 9mm. I just hear of too many jump in on the .357, and because of cost, sell it off to buy something they can shoot more. If you do get it, really consider reloading down the road, and in the meantime, save that brass !

The .357 Sig is not a necked down .40 S&W cartridge, but closer to a necked and trimmed 10mm cartridge...

Well, closer in the sense that it could be trimmed to the proper length. The problem then would be the primer pocket... 10mm uses large pistol. Also, the 10mm has a different configuration internally than the .357. (2) issues that could play havoc with the pressures.

When the round first came out, some reloaders used .40 cases and saw poor ignition and accuracy due to the case being about .015/.020 short.

In fact, the right 9mm round penetrates every bit as good as the .357 sig or .40 S&W.

It all depends on bullet selection and matching it with velocity. I can load up a lightly constructed Sierra HP and run it to almost .357 mag level and it won't penetrate worth squat... I have done this and know it sure is fun and makes the mud fly though. :D

I going to get a 357sig. Anybody have one for sale?

Sorry... keeping mine.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Harder to find ammo, more expensive, bigger "bang", harder to shoot, likely decreased re-sale value, no increased performance...

I would agree with everything there except the last. Performance has much to do with bullet selection and velocity.... I view the .357 sig as one of the most " efficient " rounds I have ever loaded. Also, I am a converted revolver fan and was a huge fan of the .357 mag performance. IMO, the .357 sig comes very close to that performance in the lighter bullet weights but in a hi cap , auto-loader package with softer recoil.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    EXTREMEVEL: I was going to say the same things...but you beat me to it! Thanks for pointing out the difference between the .40 and the 10mm casing as well as 9mm penetration.

Oh, and shot placement AND penetration both count...but penetration carries more weight in terms of the final outcome!

People laugh at my 'hot' 9mm...but so far...no one has been willing to sign on the dotted line and stand out front! Hmmmm, I wonder why?

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    That's just it, its not. Shot placement is.

This study shows that penetration is about the same: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

gel.....and denim. The purpose of 357 sig, to penetrate and stop the target. Windshield, sheet metal, light body armor, etc.....that is what 357 sig will do for you, and still stop the target.....sorry, but 9mm won't do that the same way.

also, I won't trust anything from "ar15.com"......I wonder why they didn't compare the damage of the 30 carbine vs 5.56 :D

Top Bottom