9mm vs .40, vs .45 ACP new FBI testing (let the fun begin)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I know I'm crazy, but I don't prefer one caliber over another. I love my ISSC .22 as much as my Zastava 7.62 as much as my 410 Winchester pump shotgun as much as my....etc, etc, etc.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    So, what do those of us with large hands do with the smaller frame guns?? I HAVE wide body 40 and 45 high cap 1911 style pistols that seem small to me. I can reach the trigger with the second knuckle of my trigger finger. I've read that a properly fit handgun lets you press the trigger with the pad of your finger tip. I have to stick my finger WAY out the side to do that. GEEZ, make them smaller???? I say make them BIGGER!!!

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Just carry. Train as often as you can with what you carry. Pray that you'll never need your training or your carry gun.

I just think of myself as a Renaissance man. I drive an American truck, shoot a European caliber, drink Mexican beverages and live in the Midwest. :patriot:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Lots of arguments (almost all are right) on both sides. Personally I think the 45 ACP "New" designed bullets are quite a bit superior to the "New" 9MM bullets. I do agree the new 9mm is probably as effective as the "Old" 45 ACP round nose designed prior to WW1.

I also think a lot of the decision process determining the "Best" caliber handgun for the Military, State and Local Police, and Federal officers is based on the fact today there are a lot more females employed and actively shooting these firearms. Although some females are comfortable with the weight and recoil of a 45 ACP using +P+ ammo, many just do not have the strength or stature to handle the firearm easily and those individuals probably couldn't achieve the accuracy needed. A second factor is cost of firearms and ammo ~ the 9 is a huge winner in this catagory.

I can't prove it but from the targets I have shot using small fast bullets and slower heavy bullets, the indications are that the "shock" of the heavy / larger round is much higher. This would indicate that a 45 would have a better chance of incapacitating an attacker. If I am under attack that is pretty darn important to me!

However I am aging and my EDC carry (for over 20 years), is my Colt Double Eagle, but is becoming heavier and with the clothing I now wear, harder to conceal. I find myself carrying a 38 spl derringer more often, and if finances allow, intend to purchase a Kimber Solo 9mm soon.

Do I think it is as good a defense weapon as a 45? Nope, but I do think it will do enough to keep me safe! As I don't travel much any more (retired) and don't really go into most "hazardous" areas, (can't dance ~ don't drink much anymore so---).

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    The FBI results are pretty much what I figured they would be. It is all about shot placement in order to drop someone with one shot no matter what the caliber. That movie stuff where you see someone blown backward off of their feet by a shot from a firearm is utter nonsense! There is not enough mass and energy even in a 50 BMG to do that. Has anyone ever seen the Mythbusters episode where they tested this? They had a pig carcass barely hanging on a metal hook and shot all kinds of calibers at it and it didn't budge.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    The FBI results are pretty much what I figured they would be. It is all about shot placement in order to drop someone with one shot no matter what the caliber. That movie stuff where you see someone blown backward off of their feet by a shot from a firearm is utter nonsense! There is not enough mass and energy even in a 50 BMG to do that. Has anyone ever seen the Mythbusters episode where they tested this? They had a pig carcass barely hanging on a metal hook and shot all kinds of calibers at it and it didn't budge.

There is a reason for this. See Newton's Third Law of Motion.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ok guys handguns suck. Here is an illustration. This weekend we volunteered to help the IT guy out and permanently disable some computer hard drives from work.

Apparently a hard drive will stop a 9mm:

photo1_zps87f6a9de.jpg

A hard drive will also stop 230 grain .45 acp ball:

photo_zps87c75f96.jpg

My 200 grain LSWC loaded to major did not fair any better:

photo2_zpsdcd872f4.jpg

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    Now that is data security I can get behind... I wonder if I could get work to spring for the ammo, I mean "Data sterilization supplies."

Madjack181

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Rochester
    Started out with 9mm liked it shot it well, went to a .40S&W and really liked it. A little snappy but manageable, and for a long time thought I'd never want a.45. Eventually got one and don't shoot anything else. Can someone really stay standing after getting hit by a 230 grain sledgehammer?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Started out with 9mm liked it shot it well, went to a .40S&W and really liked it. A little snappy but manageable, and for a long time thought I'd never want a.45. Eventually got one and don't shoot anything else. Can someone really stay standing after getting hit by a 230 grain sledgehammer?

Yes, yes they can still stand and fight.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The gun you are willing to carry is the one that is right for you. If you buy a large heavy handgun and are not willing to carry it then it does you no good. A .22 LR is better than nothing (if you can find ammo for it). Anything .380 or above is perfectly capable of stopping someone. The situation may determine which gun is best for it. If you are leaving a city after a riot breaks out, 18 (or 30) rounds of 9mm would be better than 7 rounds of .45.

Of course none of them can touch a 5.7 x 28mm for true protection, it shoots through anything and comes in 20 or 30 round magazines. :lmfao:

Top Bottom