• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Accuracy? At what distance? The weakest link in the system is the nut behind the trigger. Shooting low left? Good chance you are right handed and are making errors in the process. For most folks, any ammo, properly loaded, will do the job. People worry much too much about the "accuracy" of the gun and ammo and ignore the fact that they simply haven't learned to shoot that well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Try relaxing your fingers and being smooth on the trigger. Tense fingers will push the gun low and left.

I will. I had read of the dangers of holding the gun too tight.
    One of the distracting things about this gun is the trigger slack: I can see why people put triggers in them that take up the slack.
    Or, that is just an excuse for my poor showing. :dunno:
    I did try to concentrate on a smooth (let-yourself-be-surprised) trigger pull, and I don't think I really succeeded.
    The targets were better with the 124 grain, but who knows if it was the round or me.
    There were times my first shot was right on, then I would be lucky to get another one like it of the 10 rounds. :wallbash:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Try relaxing your fingers and being smooth on the trigger. Tense fingers will push the gun low and left.

The reason I mentioned it, this is something I check before adjusting sights.

KO4etS6.png

I put night sights on my wife's Glock 23. I centered the rear sight with a caliper. So it was dead center. My wife couldn't get on target. I tried it and it was accurate. This is a gun she shoots so maybe it used to be off target and she was used to compensating for it.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have an updated version of that chart. Replace all text with "you moved the sights when pressing the trigger".

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I shot this five shot group today, standing, two-handed and unsupported. It measures a shade over 2 1/2". I was using my reloads with 115 gr. fmj factory second bullets from RMR. Shot from my new Sig M-17. Plenty good from a "combat" type handgun at 25 yards.
    FC3BV32.jpg

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    All my 9mms are accurate but the POI is different with a couple.Wgile I can always depend on the shooter (ie me) My M&P is spot on with about anything as well as my Glock to a lesser extent. My SIG 226 Legion loves 147 gr more than the lighter stuff with the factory Sig sights. The 115 and 134 is a couple inches lower than 147 on my SIG.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I shot this five shot group today, standing, two-handed and unsupported. It measures a shade over 2 1/2". I was using my reloads with 115 gr. fmj factory second bullets from RMR. Shot from my new Sig M-17. Plenty good from a "combat" type handgun at 25 yards.

Dang. 25 yards? Nice shooting. Very nice shooting.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Dang. 25 yards? Nice shooting. Very nice shooting.
    Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that the shot in the 9 ring was because of my poor trigger control and not because of the weight of the bullet. At 50 yards, who knows, a heavier bullet might produce better groups than this 115 grain FMJ does.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't have much 124 grain left to experiment with, but it did seem to ameliorate some of the shooting low issue with certain pistols.
    I am getting low on my 115 grain also, but I intend to order some 147 right now to see if it makes up for some of my deficiencies shooting low with the 9mm pistols.
    If it does help it will keep me from having to mess with sights on a few of my guns, and if it doesn't help, I'll know I'll have to deal with sights on those that I'm keeping, which is still under advisement.
    I'm off to order some 147 now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Quick question for the experienced.
    When I went to TargetSportsUSA to order some 147 grain there were 2 choices at my price point:

CCI Blazer Brass 9mm Luger 147 Grain Full Metal Jacket
    1000 rounds
    Special $179.80
    $.18/round

or

Federal American Eagle 9mm Luger Ammo 147 Grain Full Metal Jacket
    1000 rounds
    Special $189.80
    $.19/round

Any input on whether I should get the Federal American Eagle instead of the Blazer Brass like I usually do (usually, as in the 115 Blazer Brass)?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I shoot a lot of Blazer brass in 115 and 124 mainly for price.

I would think either one would be fine.

Thanks for your response :thumbsup:, but I'm not sure you read that close enough, or I wasn't clear. :dunno: (wouldn't be the first time) :laugh:
    I was asking about the 147 grain, since the 124 grain did a bit better over the 115 grain and it's time for me to order again.
    More specifically, for those who had been there, had any better experience with the Federal over the Blazer.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    What I was getting at is that there is probably little difference in accuracy, cleanliness, recoil impulse, etc. between the two UNLESS you find that one of your guns happens to prefer one over the other. Only way find learn that is to try both in every 9mm pistol you have and even then you will likely find that one gun likes one brand better and another gun likes the other brand better.

Long story short...between the two, either test extensively with both or buy based on price.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just for a change-up, I'll get the 147 grain.
    I'll let you know if it made any difference, especially in the SW 5906 and the three CZs I've got: Shadow 2, SP-01 & P-07.
    The P-07 is getting close to the being on the "sell" list: I just don't need it with others I've got.
    Don't need it for the range (b/c of 4 others of which some of them need to be trimmed also), and I have other smaller ones for CC (Ruger EC9s, Ruger SR9C, SW Shield 2.0 & Bursa TPR9c (love the all-metal, even the magazine follower).

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Quick question for the experienced.
    When I went to TargetSportsUSA to order some 147 grain there were 2 choices at my price point:

CCI Blazer Brass 9mm Luger 147 Grain Full Metal Jacket
    1000 rounds
    Special $179.80
    $.18/round

or

Federal American Eagle 9mm Luger Ammo 147 Grain Full Metal Jacket
    1000 rounds
    Special $189.80
    $.19/round

Any input on whether I should get the Federal American Eagle instead of the Blazer Brass like I usually do (usually, as in the 115 Blazer Brass)?

I have used the Federal 147 with Bowling Pins and it was spot on and cleaned the pins off the table quite nicely.

Top Bottom