• ...and so much more!
  • FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    When you are involved in an accident, no matter whose at fault, there is a form that you are required / responsible for submitting to the BMV proving that you have auto insurance, aka financial responsibility. This form is usually submitted by your insurance agent/company. It can and is usually submitted online by your insurance agent/company.

As for the knife, it was most likely an oversight on the officers part. Did you ask for the knife back before you left the scene ?

Many police officers are working "Project" overtime today. They are paid through a federal highway traffic safety grant that requires they have a certain number of "contacts" per hour. This is why you see so many people stopped during the holidays.

Just out of curiosity, in hindsight, do you see anything you could have done differently that may have resulted in a more positive outcome ? Is the ticket you received eligible for diversion ? I can't recall if the "Unsigned Registration" is eligible for diversion or not.

Regards,

Fred

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    If you are in a accident don't you personally have to send into the state to prove you have insurance. Just showing a responding officer that you have it doesn't work. That might be why your license was suspended?

Yes and no. You have to go to your insurance company and have the insurance agent securely send it online.

I think it is called "Financial Responsibility Verification"

It is also issued after a ticket as well as an accident

*edit* it seems someone beat me to it.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    When you are involved in an accident, no matter whose at fault, there is a form that you are required / responsible for submitting to the BMV proving that you have auto insurance, aka financial responsibility. This form is usually submitted by your insurance agent/company. It can and is usually submitted online by your insurance agent/company.

I submitted everything everybody gave me, I continually asked the insurance agent if I needed to do anything else, so I am pretty (reasonably) sure that I did everything on my part to do it correctly.

As for the knife, it was most likely an oversight on the officers part. Did you ask for the knife back before you left the scene ?

No, he told me everything would be in the back seat and he left before I realized I couldn't find it.

Many police officers are working "Project" overtime today. They are paid through a federal highway traffic safety grant that requires they have a certain number of "contacts" per hour. This is why you see so many people stopped during the holidays.

IMO that is just crap. I don't need "contact" with any police officer unless I call them. And even then they only come when it is convenient for them.

Just out of curiosity, in hindsight, do you see anything you could have done differently that may have resulted in a more positive outcome?

Like what? A better question is do you think anything I did was against the Law?

Is the ticket you received eligible for diversion ? I can't recall if the "Unsigned Registration" is eligible for diversion or not.

Regards,

Fred

The whole thing is crap. I have had a few run ins with the EPD lately and it seems as if they have a long memory. Bogus charges and pulling me out to frisk me? Is that "normal contact" in your definition?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's called an SR50. I had to submit not one, but three when the deer ran into my SUV. I'd rather get hit by another deer than deal with BMV and continually correcting their errors and then receive a threatening letter from them.:D

Once the police determine that you possess a valid LTCH that's the end of the gun investigation. Pulling someone out of the car and coon fingering the gun and then endangering your child is hardly the least restrictive means.

Call and write with your complaint on Tuesday.

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Like what? A better question is do you think anything I did was against the Law?

Well, as a matter of fact, yes I do. You were driving with an invalid registration because it wasn't signed in ink, and you took a wide turn onto Vann and crossed the middle, called driving left of center. :laugh:

Seriously, I doubt if you were more than a "contact" today. It is possible that an officer recognized you from a previous encounter. Who knows.........

If I saw you actually make a wide turn and cross over the center line, I'd stop you for DUI investigation. That is the most obvious sign of an impaired driver. I can say 9 out of 10 stops on that one will result in a DUI arrest. I'm not saying you did, I'm just saying........

Everything discovered from that point forward is valid; however, I would not have written you for the "Unsigned Registration" unless you were being a jerk. Again, I'm not saying that you were.

Honestly, I think where everything probably turned sour for you was when you told your wife she didn't have to show him squat. Yes, I know. Based on your presentation of the stop, she did not need to show him her ID; however, if there is nothing being done wrong and nothing to hide, why not ? Yes, it is your constitutional right against unreasonable search and seizure; however, I've lost many battles myself standing on principle.

I know I'll get a ton of heat because its goes against the 4th and 14th amendments; however, its just reality. The place to battle out legal issues is in the courtroom, not on the side of the road.

I think Gunman41Mag may be right. They may have just wanted to cop a feel ! No seriously, where there is one weapon, there is usually more than one weapon. There have been many officers killed becaused they stopped searching after finding the first weapon.

Like I said, please don't feel like I'm disputing anything you've said here or calling you out on anything. I just like to present the "other side" to people. Often times people can't see the forest for the trees.

Good Luck !

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Honestly, I think where everything probably turned sour for you was when you told your wife she didn't have to show him squat. Yes, I know. Based on your presentation of the stop, she did not need to show him her ID; however, if there is nothing being done wrong and nothing to hide, why not?
    This little part has caused alotta heated discussion on here before.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

Well, as a matter of fact, yes I do. You were driving with an invalid registration because it wasn't signed in ink, and you took a wide turn onto Vann and crossed the middle, called driving left of center. :laugh:

Seriously, I doubt if you were more than a "contact" today. It is possible that an officer recognized you from a previous encounter. Who knows.........

If I saw you actually make a wide turn and cross over the center line, I'd stop you for DUI investigation. That is the most obvious sign of an impaired driver. I can say 9 out of 10 stops on that one will result in a DUI arrest. I'm not saying you did, I'm just saying........

Everything discovered from that point forward is valid; however, I would not have written you for the "Unsigned Registration" unless you were being a jerk. Again, I'm not saying that you were.

Honestly, I think where everything probably turned sour for you was when you told your wife she didn't have to show him squat. Yes, I know. Based on your presentation of the stop, she did not need to show him her ID; however, if there is nothing being done wrong and nothing to hide, why not ? Yes, it is your constitutional right against unreasonable search and seizure; however, I've lost many battles myself standing on principle.

I know I'll get a ton of heat because its goes against the 4th and 14th amendments; however, its just reality. The place to battle out legal issues is in the courtroom, not on the side of the road.

I think Gunman41Mag may be right. They may have just wanted to cop a feel ! No seriously, where there is one weapon, there is usually more than one weapon. There have been many officers killed becaused they stopped searching after finding the first weapon.

Like I said, please don't feel like I'm disputing anything you've said here or calling you out on anything. I just like to present the "other side" to people. Often times people can't see the forest for the trees.

Good Luck !

Maybe the LEO didn't meet the quota on tickets issue for the month;)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Ok the registration was just so he could get me for EVERYTHING possible, and the left of center was total BS, they were riding my butt so close they couldn't have even seen where I was driving LOL.

Propably word of mouth, but I'm just guessing.

Go for it, I don't drink. And I don't think a Best in Class autocrosser is incapable of staying in his lane LOL

I was really trying to not be a jerk, I just know my rights ;)

I admit, I do enjoy not letting LEOs overstep what is required by law and they don't like it. But I will not lose a battle just to make things "easier". I respect my rights too much to do that, if they would just stick to the situation at hand and not have a need to exert their authority where it doesn't belong then we wouldn't have problems like these.

Actually I think that is a valid point, IF you are willing to fight later for rights lost by the side of said road.

My wife had her pistol and I often carry a rifle or a shotgun in the back but well within reach. If it were for "officer safety" they did a retarded job because AFTER disarming me they let me back into my vehicle that was not searched, where I had MORE WEAPONS! :rolleyes:

Good Luck !

No prob, this kind of engagement helps me work through and learn from situations like this.

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    " My wife had her pistol and I often carry a rifle or a shotgun in the back but well within reach. If it were for "officer safety" they did a retarded job because AFTER disarming me they let me back into my vehicle that was not searched, where I had MORE WEAPONS! "

I agree with you 100 percent on this one ! It's mistakes like this that get officers hurt or killed ! You need to go to the EPD Field Training Officer and present it just this way. There's a valuable lesson for the officers to learn here.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    " My wife had her pistol and I often carry a rifle or a shotgun in the back but well within reach. If it were for "officer safety" they did a retarded job because AFTER disarming me they let me back into my vehicle that was not searched, where I had MORE WEAPONS! "

I agree with you 100 percent on this one ! It's mistakes like this that get officers hurt or killed ! You need to go to the EPD Field Training Officer and present it just this way. There's a valuable lesson for the officers to learn here.

Yeah, I help them out, they make the other infractions go away lol. Otherwise who cares? The only way I can see that going is where they would have had me there for hours trying to search my truck and not just leaving me there to begin with.

I can't believe how foolish that was! Unloading a weapon on the side of the road that he was not familiar with, it drives me CRAZY!!!

ETA: I believe they searched me on purpose in retaliation for previous encounters and not just for "officer safety". I have been on the side of the road with cops several times while openly carrying and I have never had this happen.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    according to the op it was a clerical error made by epd. what happens with the next clerical error they make? a no knock swat raid complete with dead dogs?
    No not in Evansville, We live in one of the safest cities in america. Just ask my liberal Ex :rolleyes:

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    So an hour ago I am driving to the store with my wife and son Colt and I get pulled over. I have absolutely NO idea why. The cop , D. Smith, informs me that my license is suspended, also a shock. He asks for my license which I provide and he also asks my wife is she has her ID on her. I quickly interrupted and told her she did not have to show him squat. Then he squeeks out "please keep your hand away from your hip", as I was openly carrying my stainless Kimber Ultra Carry. I said fine no problem and I thought that it would end there. He requested insurance and registration which I gave him. Then he told me to step out of the vehicle! Oh this isn't going very well I thought.

He told me to face the back of my Explorer and he grabs my pistol! He proceeds to wave it around trying to unload a cocked 1911 which he is obviously incapable of adequetly doing. I told him it was probably safer if it was left in the holster rather than being waved around. I also asked him to pick up the round he ejected onto the pavement. Then he asked if I had any other weapons, I told him my knife, which he took and then frisked me! Good grief!!!!! There were a total of 3 cops in 2 cars to pull me over and go through all of this.

At the end of the stop, he was going to put my gun in the back seat WITH MY BABY. I told him not to and so he gave me the gun and put the ammo in the back BUT DID NOT RETURN MY KNIFE. He also cited me with invalid registration because it wasn't signed in ink and that I took a wide turn onto Vann and crossed the middle which is absolute bunk. I am soooooo friggin sick of these jerks pullin over everybody they can find just because its a holiday, there were 2 other cars pulled over within 1 block of me!

I just looked up why I had a suspended Lic and it was a clerical error by- you guessed it, the EPD! I was in a wreck a few months back and apparently it was written down that I didn't have insurance! TOTAL HOGWASH!!!!!!:xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:
    The knife incident happens a lot. They generally set it in the car or stick it in their pocket and forget. Had it happen to me in Gatlinburg and in Evansville.

So what your saying is, bring to light this type of situation so that we now have a department policy to search the vehicles of individuals lawfully carrying. No thanks

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Like it or not, an officer has a position of authority. If all he has to go on at the time is that you are suspended, he had every reason to ask to see your wifes license to verify that she was a licensed driver. Your tone can set the rest of thr traffic stop. If you act like a billy badass, you are going to get a ticket. Period!

I think the biggest problem with the anti-LEO vibe has nothing to do with the few corrupt officers that you read about all across the country, and more to the fact that some people have absolutly NO RESPECT for authority.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

If no one bothers to fight the battles because people like you tell them they'll always lose, how are we supposed to win the war? Or is that the point?

Why not? Because I don't have to.

It's "just reality" that LE is continually attempting to circumvent their legal restrictions and coerce the public into self-incrimination? That's supposed to make me feel better? Because it doesn't. How in the world can you expect me to trust an individual/agency that employs deception and manipulation as standard operating procedure?

Top Bottom