• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    FME, I highly recommend double edged, fixed blade above anything for defensive use. Call me "old school" but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Also, I recommend something with a large/sturdy "tang/stop" (I'm drawing a blank on the proper terminology at the moment) at the base of the blade. Some "experts" may not agree with that, but the first time you strike a hard surface (such as a bone) with your blade you'll appreciate the feature (and so will your hands.) :twocents:

Guard. :)

A deep finger choil will keep your hand from moving forward just like a good guard.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    All right, I'll play. A kerambit for me.

WarBoar.jpg

That said, since I carry a knife primarily as a tool and not a defensive weapon, it will be the one on me. For the last while, it has been this: high and at about 9 o'clock. Untucked shirt and it is unexposed.

228Busse.png

SigandBusse.jpg

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Guard. :)

A deep finger choil will keep your hand from moving forward just like a good guard.
    LOL, whatever you want to call those fandangled things :D

I'm no expert either, but I was BARELY saved once by the "stop." Afterwards I wished it were larger. No sense in making the situation harder on yourself if you need to stab.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    LOL, whatever you want to call those fandangled things :D

I'm no expert either, but I was BARELY saved once by the "stop." Afterwards I wished it were larger. No sense in making the situation harder on yourself if you need to stab.

I practice stabing with all my defensive blades to make sure that my fingers dont end up on the blade.You can easily cut your tendons if that happens. :n00b:

That's why the USMC Ka-Bar and other fighting knives have a little guard, to keep you from hurting your own hand and NOT to stop a blade like many people think.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    All right, I'll play. A kerambit for me.

WarBoar.jpg

That said, since I carry a knife primarily as a tool and not a defensive weapon, it will be the one on me. For the last while, it has been this: high and at about 9 o'clock. Untucked shirt and it is unexposed.

228Busse.png

SigandBusse.jpg

Hey knife (and guns) snobs are not allowed to play! :nono:

:drool:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know next to nothing about knife fighting. My instruction for using a knife for defense was that it is mandatory have a duplicate training knife for practice and training.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I practice stabing with all my defensive blades to make sure that my fingers dont end up on the blade.You can easily cut your tendons if that happens. :n00b:

That's why the USMC Ka-Bar and other fighting knives have a little guard, to keep you from hurting your own hand and NOT to stop a blade like many people think.
    Yep. I really like the "heftiness" of our bayonet blades too (compared to an ordinary Kabar). I've heard of thinner blades being able to break in rugged use, but I don't see our bayonet blades breaking by any relatively easy means.

What do you practice stabbing on which doesn't bear too much "damage" to the blade tip?

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yep. I really like the "heftiness" of our bayonet blades too (compared to an ordinary Kabar). I've heard of thinner blades being able to break in rugged use, but I don't see our bayonet blades breaking by any relatively easy means.

What do you practice stabbing on which doesn't bear too much "damage" to the blade tip?

Quality knife and you won't have to worry about damage to the blade.....go ahead and ask me how I know... :whistle:

a42fe7d8d3d241e2f85824930f28268a.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Just thick layers of cardboard with fabric on top.It's tough to pierce even with double edge daggers, doesn't damage the blade and gives you a good idea of what grip works on with dirrent knife.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Quality knife and you won't have to worry about damage to the blade.....go ahead and ask me how I know... :whistle:

a42fe7d8d3d241e2f85824930f28268a.jpg
    Yeah, the blades I've tested stabbing with certainly weren't of any significantly higher quality. Not something I'd use for defense by any means.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for all the responses so far.

Anyone care to elaborate on what technique or methodology they employ?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    The Ka-bar tdi is definitely one of my favorites, and is easy to carry and conceal.

Another one I really like is the Spartan CQB / Benchmade SOCP. It was originally designed to be attached to a MOLLE rig, and is harder to conceal in normal clothes when compared to the tdi - but it is a pretty nasty sticker in the clinch.

knifeart_2232_262629232
    176.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Interesting.

I like that it can be purchased bundled with a trainer. :yesway:

Yeah, I really loved that also - that allows me go through the motions of employing it while sparring. Half my jiu jitsu buddies own one now too :)

I also like how it is easy to transition to a firearm without dropping it.

Like I mentioned though, unless you plan to attach it to a rig - the length makes it harder to carry than the tdi.

Last edited:

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne

The tools and techniques required to employ them are based on your view of what a likely confrontation might look like.

I chose to make a clinch pick style knife and carry it just off center, horizontal on my belt. It seems like South Narc has some videos on YouTube I'll dig them up when I've got access to a real computer.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Hard to explain with words.
    Basically just like with a gun I hit my target until the threat is no longer a threat (attacker runs away because he got cut too much or bleeds to death).
    Lots of slashing and not many stabing.
    Stabing is reserved for some specific situations and is usually not as fast, knife can be caught in bones, etc.
    I strike at the extremities that are attacking me, anything that comes close to me, mainly arms and hands.
    Legs are also good targets that let you run away once you took the mobility out of your attacker.
    Any attacker will leave you alone if anytime he tries to hit you he gets a deep cut.
    Defanging the snake (hitting the armed hand no matter if your attacker is holding a gun, knife, baton or uses empty hands) is what I use as opposed to hitting vital organs.
    No strikes to the torso, neck, face unless there is no other way to get a person off of you.
    You usually dont want to kill your attacker but just stop the attack.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah, I really loved that also - that allows me go through the motions of employing it while sparring. Half my jiu jitsu buddies own one now too :)

I also like how it is easy to transition to a firearm without dropping it.

Like I mentioned though, unless you plan to attach it to a rig - the length makes it harder to carry than the tdi.

You can also get a trainer for the TDI.

kabar1.jpg

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    If like many of us you pray every day that you won't have to use your gun. Say the same prayer about using a knife. Knife fights are the most personal and lethal kind, It takes a special kind of nut or a very desperate person to fight with a knife. My personal favorite knife is an LCR 357

Top Bottom