• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Have you spent some time thinking about the situation in which you will use a knife defensively? For me, that's the starting point that dictates some things about the knife and carry choices. Once you think you know what you want, test it thoroughly. Against uncooperative opponents at 100% speed and resistance. Suggestion: you're going to want some other kind of trainers for the 100% work. And helmets or other protective headgear.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    No one wins in a knife fight, someone just loses a little bit less.

Obviously we would only use a knife as a defensive tool if we didn't have access to a firearm. That being said I like the rapid deployment of the purpose built knives like the TDI, or the first one you mentioned.

Unfortunately I do not carry a fixed blade as I don't find it practical for my typical environment (corporate).

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have one of those that I purchased as a "poor man's ClinchPik" to see if I liked the concept. I think it has some merit. Tell me more.

The TDI knife is nice but it doesn't really work as a clinch pick substitute. They are both technique driven designs. The mechanics of the techniques are different. The TDI was shaped to make it more effective for a punching motion instead of the underhand motion you use when a CP is in your strong hand. The CP seems more ambidextrous. The TDI in a reverse grip puts the blade at an awkward angle for stabbing.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    With gun: reverse grip from a 9 o'clock position with tip down and edge facing out. (RH Holster) Used to slash upward and rip/stab downward. This is solely used to get someone back and away from the pistol at 4 o'clock until it can be deployed.

Without gun: Strong side but usually still held underhand. Knife held close to and inline with the forearm initially. I don't used a flashing knife as a deterrent. In that last ditch, gruesome outcome of having to cut someone up, I wouldn't want someone to be aware I had a knife until they felt it inside them.

I wear good shoes and am fast over short distances. RUN. :):

EDIT I just keep it in my teeth and grunt Aaaaarrrr!

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I like my Spyderco Delica with the Emerson wave. You can get the Delica, Endura and several Emersons (of course) with this feature.

Would a fixed blade be better, I would guess so.

My only training would be the Janich Fighting folders DVDs and then some F.I.G.H.T. DVD about knife fighting (can't remember who it exactly was) but I feel comfortable with a rapid deployment folder.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Have you spent some time thinking about the situation in which you will use a knife defensively?

I have, but moreso lately.

There are two situations that come immediately come to mind-- 1) for use when I cannot carry a handgun (like at work), or 2) for use when I cannot access or use my weapon for any number of reasons. I want something I can learn on without spending lots of time and money learning a martial system.

Here is what I would like. I could compromise on some things, while others are necessary.

• Fixed blade
    • Concealable (even in corporate attire)
    • Strong point for stabbing
    • A method of keeping hand from slipping onto blade when wet
    • A decent sheath / deployment system
    • Can be wielded in various grip styles
    • Has a trainer available
    • Doesn't have to be super steel or $1k

Once you think you know what you want, test it thoroughly. Against uncooperative opponents at 100% speed and resistance. Suggestion: you're going to want some other kind of trainers for the 100% work. And helmets or other protective headgear.

I agree, and will. :yesway:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Personally, I prefer to use an 8+" dagger.

I do not like the TDI style of knives. They require a LOT of practice to be truly useful with them. I don't care for clip points either, nor stiletto type blades either....

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have, but moreso lately.

There are two situations that come immediately come to mind-- 1) for use when I cannot carry a handgun (like at work), or 2) for use when I cannot access or use my weapon for any number of reasons. I want something I can learn on without spending lots of time and money learning a martial system.

Here is what I would like. I could compromise on some things, while others are necessary.

• Fixed blade
    • Concealable (even in corporate attire)
    • Strong point for stabbing
    • A method of keeping hand from slipping onto blade when wet
    • A decent sheath / deployment system
    • Can be wielded in various grip styles
    • Has a trainer available
    • Doesn't have to be super steel or $1k

I agree, and will. :yesway:

You can pick any number of fixed blade knives for that, just find a quality one....then you can talk to Dtrap or Grunt Soldier about getting an IWB holster for it that is tuckable like a crossbreed but for a knife. A few guys at the chop in had some like that. Just remember if you are going to wear something that close to your body then get some grips that don't mangle your side.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    With gun: reverse grip from a 9 o'clock position with tip down and edge facing out. (RH Holster) Used to slash upward and rip/stab downward. This is solely used to get someone back and away from the pistol at 4 o'clock until it can be deployed.

Without gun: Strong side but usually still held underhand. Knife held close to and inline with the forearm initially. I don't used a flashing knife as a deterrent. In that last ditch, gruesome outcome of having to cut someone up, I wouldn't want someone to be aware I had a knife until they felt it inside them.

I wear good shoes and am fast over short distances. RUN. :):

EDIT I just keep it in my teeth and grunt Aaaaarrrr!

It sounds like you are describing using a TDI to defend against a gun grab. The problem is this would not work at all with the CP you would be trying to slash with te dull side of the blade. That is what I was saying about the TDI being a poor CP substitute. I was not saying it is a bad knife. It is an excellent defensive tool, just not a CP.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Any one know how many people got stabbed in Indiana last year?
    Specifically Indiana? No. But I can tell you OVER 70% of violent crimes are committed with a knife and only 8% with a gun.

The problem with a knife attack is that it's often difficult to notice until it's nearly too late to avoid injury due to their concealability.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Specifically Indiana? No. But I can tell you OVER 70% of violent crimes are committed with a knife and only 8% with a gun.

The problem with a knife attack is that it's often difficult to notice until it's nearly too late to avoid injury due to their concealability.

Even that is understated. Stabbing victims often don't know they've been stabbed until after the damage is done and say they never saw a knife.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Well he didn't ask how many people committed violent crimes with a knife, but how many people got stabbed, that's not really the same thing.
    For me that would include people defending their life in self defense using a knife as well.
    I would be curious to know how many people use a knife to defend themselves vs a gun.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Well he didn't ask how many people committed violent crimes with a knife, but how many people got stabbed, that's not really the same thing.
    For me that would include people defending their life in self defense using a knife as well.
    I would be curious to know how many people use a knife to defend themselves vs a gun.
    Indeed, but there's not currently an accurate way to assess this that I've found. CDC reports on causes of death, so that wouldn't include stabbings that resulted in injuries only. You've already pointed out the other side of the issue, being that of DOJ reports on crimes using that particular weapon. Unless there is a "National Knife Association" which tracks such things, I don't know of a credible way to locate such numbers. :dunno:

Top Bottom