• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Yup....Really.Get it over.A knife is a very poor weapon.You need to get it in something important quick.A guy with a ball bat has superior force if he has a little room.

Sure.. if you intend to carry a ball bat around everywhere you go.

A guy with a shotgun has superior force compared to a ball bat if he has a little room.

A guy with a rifle has superior force compared to a shotgun if he has even more room.

Sadly, it is not practical for me to carry a bat, shotgun, or rifle on my person at all times.

A knife, however, is easily mixed into everyday carry - and can be a potent weapon if you know how to use it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

A guy with a shotgun has superior force compared to a ball bat if he has a little room.

A guy with a rifle has superior force compared to a shotgun if he has even more room.

A knife, however, is easily mixed into everyday carry. Sadly, it is not practical for me to carry a bat, shotgun, or rifle on my person at all times.

Good thing that they do expandable bats made of steel and 100% legal to carry in IN and easy to conceal. ;)

bb-ton21pouces.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Good thing that they do expandable [STRIKE]bats[/STRIKE] batons made of steel and 100% legal to carry in IN and easy to conceal. ;)

FTFY

Baseball bat:
    louisville-slugger-bat.jpg

Also, deploying a baton in a grappling situation can be quite a bit trickier than a small knife designed for piercing.

I carried a baton at one point in time, and then I realized that it does not fill much of a role for me. Batons are popular with police departments because they are used to strike joints in situations where they do not need to escalate to lethal force.

Don't get me wrong, batons can be effective - but for the weight/bulk, and considering I carry a gun that I can employ if I have the time to draw - they just don't seem all that great.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    FTFY

Baseball bat:
    louisville-slugger-bat.jpg

Also, deploying a baton in a grappling situation could be quite a bit trickier than a small knife designed for piercing.

I know what's a bat. :):

You have many options with the baton, you dont have to deploy it to use it, you can use it in the closed position, if it's a grappling situation it's enough reach to knock down your attacker if you use the proper techniques.
    Then step back and deploy in case he gets up and wants some more.Voila.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    You have many options with the baton, you dont have to deploy it to use it, you can use it in the closed position, if it's a grappling situation it's enough reach to knock down your attacker if you use the proper techniques.
    Then step back and deploy in case he gets up and wants some more.Voila.

I got beat up alot in Krav Maga while using a baton. I just don't feel the same way - they can be effective, but not as effective as I thought before training with them. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville

Sadly, it is not practical for me to carry a bat, shotgun, or rifle on my person at all times.

A knife, however, is easily mixed into everyday carry - and can be a potent weapon if you know how to use it.

I agree with all that,but if all you can carry is a knife (and I think most of us do)you have to be aware of its limitations.A can of pepper spray is probably better than a knife in most situations.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I got beat up alot in Krav Maga while using a baton. I just don't feel the same way - they can be effective, but not as effective as I thought before training with them. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

It all depends what techniques you use and what's your level of training, they are usually taught as non-lethal weapons by police departments but can also be used to break bones and kill someone depending on what you do.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I agree with all that,but if all you can carry is a knife (and I think most of us do)you have to be aware of its limitations.A can of pepper spray is probably better than a knife in most situations.

Oh, for sure.. I am totally on the same page there.

I think many people carry knives without training, and imagine that if they need it they will transform into John Rambo and "rise to the occasion".

Fighting with a knife is nasty, and brutal... and is not as easy as people would think until they roll with one.

But, I think the right type of blade, with training, can complement a firearm well in very rare circumstances. Anything heavier/bulkier than a small knife, and people start leaving it at home - including batons and larger knives.

Plus, since many adult males carry folding knives for simple utility purposes anyway - swapping a utility folder with a defensive oriented knife is not generally a big trade off.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I tried to exercise my better judgement and not add a pillow fight pic... but then I realized I don't have "better judgement", and could not stop myself...

Pillow-Fight-Girls-Next-Door.jpg

You have failed to meet or exceed the standard, paddling man set at 5 scantily clad models in a pillow fight. Consider this a verbal warning that we will not tolerate such lackluster performance in the future from you...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm with you, I have a very healthy respect for knives. I did a bit of knife training many years ago and decided it wasn't for me, so I focused on "against the knife" skills and started carrying two guns. I always keep a .38 that I can access with my off hand and use for contact shots. For what its worth, I used a CRKT "Dive knife", but I'm 100% not an expert and its been more than 10 years ago.

I will also point out that while deadly force is deadly force, I'd much rather be on trial for shooting someone than cutting them. The photos, the prejudicial view of stabbing in the "jury of your peers", etc.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So the search continues. . . .

INGOer David Rose was kind enough to share with me a knife design he has been working on for a while. It's done in the "ClinchPik" style made popular by SouthNarc, featuring a reverse edge. He says the project is a work in progress, but the example I received far exceeded my expectations. It even came with the sheath mounted on a Tek-Lok setup for horizontal carry. Word is he's currently working on a trainer for it.

1zob8za.jpg

So now I'm off to research a bit more and see what this reverse edge stuff is all about.

Top Bottom