• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have been taught to cut to disable. Joints, tendons, muscle separation cuts stop an attack, so evasion is possible.

Yeah if you cut your attacker's hand to make him drop his weapon he's no longer a threat to you if the attack stops right there.
    Killing your attacker after that is just murder, not self defense.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    At least 6 inches of blade,edge up,forget the slash,you need to get under the ribs and put that blade up into the heart/lungs.Defensive weak hand forearm for defense,(you are gonna get cut)....But get that one good shot into the vitals,put it in deep and move that blade around once it is in there.A knife is like a gun in this respect...Do not aim to injure,intend to kill.

Really?

I have been taught to cut to disable. Joints, tendons, muscle separation cuts stop an attack, so evasion is possible.

That's because you were taught by someone who knows and understands what he's talking about and has an intimate understanding of close quarters defense.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Along these lines, does anyone use or have you tried the CRKT Bear Claw? If so, interested in your impressions.

I like the bear claw, but always considered it as more of a utility blade. It is awesome for quickly cutting rope and things - but the tip is dull, so I would not consider it a fighting knife.

EDIT: I guess a version does exist that has a tip - the one I have has an orange handle and the tip is dull. I could see the other version being useful as a defensive knife, but have not carried one in that manner.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Yup....Really.Get it over.A knife is a very poor weapon.You need to get it in something important quick.A guy with a ball bat has superior force if he has a little room.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Got threatened one time by a little hispanic gangster when I lived in the southwest.Little guy had a box knife held backwards in his fist,and the fighting method was to slash from sorta around behind the back. This little guy had cut another guy up some.....I had a Benchmade Spike,and I grabbed a large ball of shrink wrap to try to use to catch his blade.We were in the backroom of a hardware store that I worked at in Espanola NM....Nobody got cut because he did not like the look of that sharp blade that was pointing at his guts.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Learn how to fight with your hands first and foremost. I'm a pretty big guy, and have always liked to box with my brother and some buddies for fun. I felt like I could hold my own in a fight until I had a little training. Took a Krav Maga class for around 9 months, and I couldn't believe how bad I would get my ass kicked if they aggressor knew what he is doing. I'm in no way top tip shape, but it's incredible what you can do with a small combination of using both your hands and elbows, low round kick, or knees. Many gyms teach MMA, Krav Maga, Systema, etc... Remember that if you use deadly force in a fist fight, you can be found guilty of murder. 2 on one can be a different story.

A fixed blade is not considered OK to carry by the general public, where as a folder is. So the odds are if your not a high speed / low drag operator, you'll have a folder on your person if trouble arrises. No doubt a fixed blade is > than a folder in a fight, but your wife is way less likely to look at you like your retarded when you have a knife clipped to your pocket instead of a drop leg rig. If you can get by with a fixed, good for you. But it's not going to do you a bit of good if it's sitting on your dresser because it's uncomfortable, too heavy, draws too much attention, etc.... I've got several bad ass fighter styled knives, but they live in a desk drawer. My Combat Karambit however has had the finish worn off of it.

A big advantage to a folder is you can carry the knife in your hand concealed and ready to rock if you feel like you might be in a dangerous situation. If you were to do the same with a fixed, you could possibly be taken as a threat, and be inviting an unwanted response. You can also use the knife in a closed position as a blunt object.

I'm a big fan of Karambits. The inward curved blade digs in with ease as it drags across the skin. Trust me, I learned this the hard way when spinning one (BUY A TRAINER!!!!). In the reverse grip, the ring serves like a mini brass knuckle in a fight, and helps to retain the knife. Emerson makes a great one that opens fast with the wave. Spyderco also made an excellent one, but has since been discontinued. Ernie Emerson is a certified bad ass, and makes a great training DVD. You would be amazed at how utilitarian it can be with a little practice.

I also like the "shiv" styled knives. For me, a hammer fist motion with a knife in a reverse grip feels very natural. Check out the Spyderco P'Kal. Waved, strong lock, and wicked sharp.

I've read where Mercop said most people tend to slash when stressed, and that makes perfect sense to me. I picked up a Yojimbo II a couple of months back, and slashing with it feels like second nature.

Most importantly, practice with what you carry.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    When I do carry a fixed blade, they tend to be small or concealed. I like my Strider DB, Spartan CQB, or ZT boot knife. Simply grab and stab. I also really like my Strider HS karambit, but have found its easy to knick some skin on the draw when IWB. In a fight though, a little scrape would be the least of ones worries.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Here is my personal defense knife, one I've never seen mentioned here.

Gerber Guardian Back-Up Knife 05803 - gerberknives.co

I carry it tip down, handle up in the small of my back. You clip it into your belt and pull your shirt down over it, wahlah! Concealed fixed blade.

Some may argue that it's hard to reach, but it's actually the quickest way for me to get it into my hand in a fighting position (pictures to follow tomorrow).
    I hold the knife underhand with my thumb at the tip of the handle closest to the blade. This is how I was taught to do so, different strokes for different folks.

I find that this grip is also perfect to use a sharpie/marker as a trainer. When combined with white clothing, this provides a decent training drill that is moderately safe.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yup....Really.Get it over.A knife is a very poor weapon.You need to get it in something important quick.A guy with a ball bat has superior force if he has a little room.

A knife is a poor weapon? :n00b:

It's way easier to defend yourself against a bat than it is against a knife.
    The bat wont cut you when you grab it and it's useless if you get close enough.
    A knife becomes more dangerous when you get that close.

I rather be attacked by 3 guys with bats than by 1 guy with a knife.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'll go with Gina Carano and call it a day. Come visit me in the hospital. I'll be the guy in traction with a big smile.

4d9c656aba507.gif

Top Bottom