• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Anecdote from the battle for Raqqa.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-mi...le-kurdish-sniper-cheats-death-at-hands-of-is

So, couple observations in a totally MMQB kinda way:
    - good on her for fighting for her cause
    - good on her for (likely) being a really good sniper
    - perhaps her worst enemy is complacency; just because she's good doesn't mean she can get away with slewing the barrel out the window like that
    - a Daesh counter-sniper probably counted that as a kill

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    IIRC, wasn't there a schism when they elected not to support/swear allegience to IS a couple years ago? Perhaps the work of that splinter, with logistical help from outside? Kind of seems like IS's MO - long on slaughter and low on strategic value.

I gather that bombs of that size were thought to be beyond their capability, but they may have only supplied the 'guidance systems'

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I understand the politics and the Politics of this. But... wow.

Raqqa's dirty secret - BBC News

Raqqa’s freedom was bought with blood, sacrifice and compromise. The deal freed its trapped civilians and ended the fight for the city. No SDF forces would have to die storming the last IS hideout.
    But IS didn’t stay put for long. Freed from Raqqa, where they were surrounded, some of the group's most-wanted members have now spread far and wide across Syria and beyond.

But, I did kinda like this part.

Past the last SDF checkpoint, inside IS territory - a village between Markada and Al-Souwar - Abu Fawzi reached his destination. His lorry was full of ammunition and IS fighters wanted it hidden.
    When he finally made it back to safety, he was asked by the SDF where he’d dumped the goods.
    “We showed them the location on the map and he marked it so uncle Trump can bomb it later,” he says.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think it is still premature to say they've lost all their territory. The major cities, yeah, probably, for now. I'll withhold judgment on victory for awhile.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think it is still premature to say they've lost all their territory. The major cities, yeah, probably, for now. I'll withhold judgment on victory for awhile.

What a difference a year makes right?

What else happened this year.... oh yeah.

Whatever's been achieved is a far lot better than what we left off with from the previous administration with their pee stained shoes.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I didn't even realize that was a topic of dispute. :)

Who actually should get more credit, though, as between Putin or Trump could be a different matter.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I didn't even realize that was a topic of dispute. :)

Who actually should get more credit, though, as between Putin or Trump could be a different matter.

Just making an observation. It seems that military goals are more reliably achieved when politicians leave the warring to warriors.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I'm still waiting for all the jihadis to abandon Daesh. They said that Allah favored them since they were taking more real estate. Now that they are hiding in basements in Bumfight, Syria, doesn't that mean the Allah no longer favors them?

Top Bottom