• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OK, hypothetically speaking. Having not shot an auto loader other than my Colt 1911 and my belly gun Ruger .380 and then less than 1000 rounds in at least two years. If I did shovel out one of these G 22’s from the dark recesses of h***. How many rounds would I need to put through it to break it in. Second question? How many rounds aprx till I can trust it 100% for carry. Third question? How long till I can overcome 50+ yrs of mussel memory of revolver shooting?

I blow up a lot of 38 spc every week. Can’t count the numbers, but almost daily. To the point it’s automatic, holster, draw, double tap, holster. Till empty, reload, start over. Seems to me to possibly be an obstacle that can’t be overcome, especially under stress. It may be an unrealistic expectation.

I don’t have anything but time. And I’ve accumulated a lot of 40 s&w ammo.
    Lube it up and let it run. Really shouldn’t be much of a break in if any. I would run a couple hundred rounds through it and a box of defensive ammo. Truthfully I have never experienced any problems with Glocks and quality defensive ammo. Anything out of whack can be fleshed out with good old FMJ.

I don’t think you would have any issues moving from double action revolver to a Glock. They point somewhat similarly. For that matter a 1911 with an arched mainspring housing isn’t all that different. The issue will be getting used to the trigger. But police officers made the transition and so can you.

Recoil will feel a bit different. Some people say that .40 is “snappy”. Not sure if that is the best description. It is faster and the gun seems to nosedive a bit when going back into battery. Your 1911 “pushes”.

I see no reason for you to give up your revolver. But a Glock isn’t exactly hard to shoot. In fact out of the three platforms it is probably the easiest to learn.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    OK, hypothetically speaking. Having not shot an auto loader other than my Colt 1911 and my belly gun Ruger .380 and then less than 1000 rounds in at least two years. If I did shovel out one of these G 22’s from the dark recesses of h***. How many rounds would I need to put through it to break it in. Second question? How many rounds aprx till I can trust it 100% for carry. Third question? How long till I can overcome 50+ yrs of mussel memory of revolver shooting?
    I blow up a lot of 38 spc every week. Can’t count the numbers, but almost daily. To the point it’s automatic, holster, draw, double tap, holster. Till empty, reload, start over. Seems to me to possibly be an obstacle that can’t be overcome, especially under stress. It may be an unrealistic expectation.
    I don’t have anything but time. And I’ve accumulated a lot of 40 s&w ammo.
    I usually lean towards 300 rounds...at least that's my number for wringing out a new pistol and to test a few different brands of ammo and see how each one lands on the target!
    I've found (as did law enforcement) that 155 grain and 165 grain rounds tend to shoot a lot more accurately with a moderate felt recoil as compared with 180 grain...

Reactions: Mij

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No break in required. Read the manual before lubing, do not overlube and do not lube where lube isn't supposed to go.

I don't find it difficult to switch between Glock and revolvers. The grip is so different the brain realizes they aren't the same thing and doesn't try and treat them as such. It's more difficult for me to switch between very similar weapons than radically different.

Answers for vetting will be all over the board. With a Glock, I'm good with 50 rounds of target ammo and a couple mags of carry ammo, shooting a mix of 2 handed, SHO, and WHO.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I really don’t know what the ammo is off the top of my head. The stuff I got was over about 5 years probably 500 to 1000 rounds each time. And it’s gonna be buried under other ammo. Gotta dig out a gun and what ever I decide to shoot. Haven’t made up my mind yet. I think the first few weeks after July first will do that for me. I’m thinking everything I got was soft point or ball. Don’t think I would have sprung for defense stuff. Nope I would not have done that. Never planned on shooting them. OK, thanks. Standing by.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Thanks BBI, I’m a big proponent of weak hand practice. Also I’ll close my right eye. Depends on the day and what strikes my fancy that day. I change the color of spray paint to match the background. I’ve found the new ear muffs have helped my groups.

BlueManGP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2022
    Indiana
    Ya, I expect that. But a sincere unbiased opinion is what I’m hoping for. I also have issues with both the cal. and non American firearms. I’m looking toward the future, and hoping for information that tips my scale one way or the other. Thanks for your answer by the way.
    I have a Ruger 22 cal, a Sig P220 45 cal, a Gen 1 G17, three Gen 3 40 cal. I love them all and in case someone forgot to mention - Glocks are made in Georgia, United States of America. There are Glocks made in AU (Austria) but those must be ordered unless already here.

BlueManGP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2022
    Indiana
    I really don’t know what the ammo is off the top of my head. The stuff I got was over about 5 years probably 500 to 1000 rounds each time. And it’s gonna be buried under other ammo. Gotta dig out a gun and what ever I decide to shoot. Haven’t made up my mind yet. I think the first few weeks after July first will do that for me. I’m thinking everything I got was soft point or ball. Don’t think I would have sprung for defense stuff. Nope I would not have done that. Never planned on shooting them. OK, thanks. Standing by.
    BEWARE of ammo off the top of your head...sure way to get a headache!
    The first few weeks of July will be too late for you...probably because that gun you're looking for is buried under those XXX bullets you may or not have have under other bullets that you haven't seen in "about" five years...please somebody stop me!!

CombatShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    NW
    I had a model 22, and at that time I didn’t care for it as far as carrying BUT I know that is not your question.
    I then bought a 23 and absolutely loved carrying it. Bought the conversion barrel and mags to shoot less expensive 9mm but carry it in .40 format
    If you’re wanting a full size pistol, I don’t think you can go wrong with the 22 as you can always convert it to 9mm like the 17

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Thanks for bringing back a necro thread.

Mine are stamped Austria, have had them for years. Still haven’t shot them.

BlueManGP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2022
    Indiana
    Thanks BBI, I’m a big proponent of weak hand practice. Also I’ll close my right eye. Depends on the day and what strikes my fancy that day. I change the color of spray paint to match the background. I’ve found the new ear muffs have helped my groups.
    Get yourself a big shopping cart to carry all those spray can paints with you and a BIG STOP SIGN. Show that to the perp in a self-defense shooting to give you time to get your "ears" on so you can have a better group! LOL!

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have a Ruger 22 cal, a Sig P220 45 cal, a Gen 1 G17, three Gen 3 40 cal. I love them all and in case someone forgot to mention - Glocks are made in Georgia, United States of America. There are Glocks made in AU (Austria) but those must be ordered unless already here.
    Great first post, welcome to INGO.

I’m very impressed with your collection of firearms, please tell us more.

BlueManGP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2022
    Indiana
    Thanks for bringing back a necro thread.

Mine are stamped Austria, have had them for years. Still haven’t shot them.
    You must be waiting for:
    a) the price to go up so you can sell them
    b) someone to break into your home so that you can show them these "old guns" or
    c) when your divorce goes through you can tell the judge "I don't even like them. They're old." At which point the judge gives them to your ex. (place them on your estate to give to someone. I'll gladly volunteer)

BlueManGP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2022
    Indiana
    Would anyone be willing to give an assessment of the Glock mod. 22 in 40 S&W. I would like especially to hear about reliability, investment potential, or any negative aspects you may be aware of. And thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
    Reliability - works every time (no junk ammo)
    Investment potential - None
    Negative aspects - it's a *&%#* to shoot. No weak wrists here. It's potent.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I just come across this necro thread.
    I carry a 23, it's more comfortable.
    I have my BIL's Indianapolis Police Department 22, blessed by their armorer. That girl knows how to set up a trigger. You're welcome to try it out. I love the pull and the reset. It looks beat to hell, but a dream to shoot.

Top Bottom