• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The 10/22 barrel I shipped to a guy in PA was a "pipe" insured for $100 when it left the store. When the empty box was returned as undeliverable with a hole in the end, UPS paid me $100 even though they knew then it was a rifle barrel. I also shipped some 10/22 internal parts to a guy near Owensboro, KY from that same UPS store. "Machine parts" they were. The box arrived at his house open but with all the parts still in it. Last time I tried them with a wooden stock, they turned me down. Guess I should have told them it was a wood carving. Ended up shipping it via USPS no problem.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    Last year I tried to ship some shotgun shells at UPS. The lady ask what it was and I told her. She said I need a "symbol" denoting that on the box. I said sure where are they? She said we dont have any. ??? Just draw this on the box with a marker. Next day the box was delivered to MY porch. I called and was told I could not draw symbol on with a sharpie. So I downloaded a symbol online. Went back to UPS store to send. You guessed it, back on MY porch the next day! Now what? The UPS driver lives around the corner from me so I cried on his shoulder and he said he would take care of it. The package got to its destination..........

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    If you plan on insuring those "metal machine parts" for the shipping, you better hope it never gets lost and you never have to make a claim.

As it is legal to ship a gun barrel thru UPS and they, not the UPS Store would be satisfying claim of damage or loss, the general description of metal machine parts would not be disqualifying in of itself. I recognize you know the law far better than I. I did spend 33 years in that environment and am basing my comment on that experience. On the topic of damage claim, many individuals will have difficulty making damage claim regardless of who the shipping company is due to not following criteria for Industry acceptable packaging.

Package cars (The Brown Delivery Vehicles) are dispatched from centers. In larger cities, one or more centers may be located in buildings also housing hubs. The purpose of a hub is to sort parcels to centers within it's district and beyond. For those in this thread who have used hub as designation of Package Car domicile, do you cringe when you hear clip and magazine used interchangably? That's kinda how I am with the use of center and hub, just saying.

Last edited:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    So why didn't you choose the USPS instead?

My wife had given me a package to return to Amazon with a return label for UPS. As I was going there already I figured I’d give it a try.

To the comment that the store employee should have been able to suggest I use the UPS hub, he did. But that still made no sense to me.

To the folks saying the store is a franchise - well, who sells the franchise ? Burger King or Chuckie Cheese ? ! ! I would assume UPS would sell a UPS franchise and shipping rules would be the same. Obviously not. Faulty thinking on my part.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    My wife had given me a package to return to Amazon with a return label for UPS. As I was going there already I figured I’d give it a try.

To the comment that the store employee should have been able to suggest I use the UPS hub, he did. But that still made no sense to me.

To the folks saying the store is a franchise - well, who sells the franchise ? Burger King or Chuckie Cheese ? ! ! I would assume UPS would sell a UPS franchise and shipping rules would be the same. Obviously not. Faulty thinking on my part.
    Not really, ups might have policies like no felony conviction for the drivers, but franchise owners might not for Counter employees and franchise locations don’t have to do what corporate does

prime example, old Chicago pizza here in Evansville made a Chicago deep dish pizza but only at Christmas, last year at Christmas time I drove as fast as I could to old Chicago to order one, only to be told that corporate bought it back from the franchise owner can’t make it anymore.

and the same goes for McDonald’s if you listen to the commercials they say not valid at all locations that’s for the franchise owners the don’t want to participate in that promotion(even though most all do)

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I can under stand why a franchise would not want to ship certain items. I would say UPS has a pretty in depth training program for the people working as shipping clerks in the depots. A franchise store not so much.

The people at the stores gave me the impression they would not be able to tell the difference between a slug barrel for a shot gun and a stinger missile.

Would any one here want to put there lively hood or freedom on the line for the type of people that work at the franchises. Yes the owner could stay at the store when it is open. what happens if they have multiple stores they get sick take a vacation. One day they will ship certain items the next week not. That is a good way to loose your customers and gain a bad reputation.

I found out a long time ago when it comes to shipping firearms or parts a phone call saves a lot of time and aggravation.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I've shipped parts and guns from the local UPS store, and received thousands of rounds of ammo at my box there. Not a word. You got a nutty SJW clerk who tried to use their retail job to push a political agenda. Sounds like a good reason to make a call to corporate.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Sounds like Fedex... Had a Walther CCP to send in for the recall. Walther sent a pre-paid sticker for Fedex and said "the gun box fits great in a size 2 fedex box". got to fedex and the person behind the counter sad no, then said it couldn't be in a package with the fedex logo, then finally gave in with a good "are you f-ing serious!?" glare.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I had the same problem at FEDEX.
    I attempted send a handgun back to Ruger.
    The woman at FEDEX said I can not send a firearm.
    I called Ruger. They said NO Problem go back to FEDEX.
    A different lady took and shipped it NO problem.
    The other day I needed to ship a 1911 to Taurus.
    The same stupid lady again attempted to deny shipping.
    I demanded a manager. The same (different) lady told her it was OK.
    The stupid lady excepted the shipping. She charged me $130.
    When I received the 1911 back.
    I called Taurus. Taurus told me they ship for $50.
    I called Fedex. They told me that was proper shipping price.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've shipped parts and guns from the local UPS store, and received thousands of rounds of ammo at my box there. Not a word. You got a nutty SJW clerk who tried to use their retail job to push a political agenda. Sounds like a good reason to make a call to corporate.

It is a corporate policy. UPS can and will ship gun parts and ammo. UPS stores will not handle them, that is a policy enforced by UPS on their franchising stores for specific purposes not infringing on your right to their private service.

UPS even has designated individuals within their hubs that are required to handle any firearms part shipments, not that they won't but that they will only ship them with their A&&'s covered by allowing only trained individuals to handle the process. It's not some conspiracy, it's simple policy that has been in place for a long time.

As for the people mad that they cannot ship ammo at will... WTF, lol ya'll are completely out of touch. The "markings" are internationally recognized and regulated hazmat/dangerous goods labels. You have to be trained to ship haz because there are specific things that must go specific types of transits. They don't want explosives or accelerants on airplanes, because they have gone off and killed crews (was an o2 generator in the case i'm thinking of). The industry sets these standards and there are a lot of reee's out there that put a lot of people in danger because they hide this crap in unmarked boxes and hope for the best in a static filled dry environment carrying 3 or 4 crew flying 30k feet over populated areas. It boggles my mind how everyone melts when they cant ship a box of ammo without proper documentation and marking. Midway won't send you a case of ammo without it being marked and appropriately shipped. The labels are not to inconvenience you they are to keep the unknowing handlers informed about what they are handling.

UPS will absolutely take your money and ship whatever you want, you have to do it right and according to their rules tho which are reasonable. they are a private entity and entitled to their own policy and rule making that helps keep them covered.

All of you sending ammo through the mail without marking or through "friends" are putting your freedom (jail time for shipping haz without proper marking is a thing and the dot enforces it) and financial stability at risk as well as your friend that you guilt into being complicit in your crime.

Is that brick of 22lr going to down a 777 over central new York, probably not. But why would you think your convenience entitles you to make that decision?

Top Bottom