Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    and some more...

YS4073hd.jpg

YS4076hd.jpg

YS4077hd.jpg

YS4079hd.jpg

YS4081hd.jpg

and here is Sadclown hugging his true love, I mean....

YS4083hd.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Cookies 3.50 x 2= 7
    Hot dog buns 2 x 3 = 6
    Asst chips 15
    7 lb ice 1.50 x 6 = 9
    600 rnds .22 = 42 (assuming 7 cents/rnd)

Total = 79

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Love the pic of my Marlin being loaded such detail. Great pics Uzibutton. To all may I copy and savethe pics of myself for future posts on facebook for next year or to spread word for those who were interested but couldn't make it?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jedi's AAR Report (Version 1)

First before I even start the report I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all the volunteers and donors.
    YOU MADE THIS EVENT POSSIBLE!

--FINANCIAL UPDATE--
    Pre-Event Pot: $50.03
    Expenses: $0 *
    Donations: $49 ($20 from INGO member baddyna96 and the rest from the general public)
    Post-Event Pot: $50.03 + $49 (food)

*We did not bring any plywood or other materials to DNR this month thus why the expenses show as $0.00.
    I am still working on the overall cost of our expenses to run the event and will post that amount later on.

--FOOD UPDATE--
    I do not have the final number for how much I spent on food yet still trying to get receipts from family members that purchased items for me. I budget for $120 but we had many hot dogs, cookies, and chips left.
    IN FACT, NO FOOD DONATIONS WILL BE NEEDED FOR JULY EXCEPT BREAD.

This is what our food inventory looks like:

This is the UNOPENED items
    18 packs of hot dogs
    2 mustards
    1 relish
    80 bags of chips (individual size)
    3 bags of chips (family size)
    5 boxes of Oreo cookies (individual size packs with 12 packs in each)
    1 Oreo package
    17 water bottles
    40 fruit by the foot

This is the OPENED items
    3/4 mustard bottle left
    3/4 relish bottle left
    10 packs of hot dog buns*
    assorted cookies in small packs

*Adding this to the OPENED since the bread will NOT last until next month and since I paid for it I will not include it in the INGO stash and will eat and/or donate it.

PAPER STUFF
    Our plates and cups we are actually OK on. Did not do a final count of them but we have enough for JULY and probably the rest of the year. We are low on napkins at this time have around 50 left. The reason we are OK on plates/cups is I brought paper plates for this event so or Styrofoam ones we use for the regular events did not have to get used. Also looks like the bottles of water and cans of pop were consumed more than the liquids in the coolers (ie. Kool Aid & Water)

---THE EVENT PEOPLE COUNT---
    Kids: 36 (37 was 2013 number)
    Adults: 42 (32 was 2013 number)
    DNR: 10 (9 was 2013 number)
    NWI INGO: 21 (28 was 2013 number) [This includes spouses & children helpers]
    4-H: 10 (15 was 2013 number)
    TOTAL: 119 (121 was 2013 number)

---THE EVENT AMMO COUNT & EQUIPMENT---
    .22lr Ammo
    START: 16,608
    USED: 8,168
    LEFT: 8,440

Blythe's donated 1,400
    DNR had 2,350
    INGO donated 12,858

CenterFire Ammo
    Official numbers Joe will report as he has been in charge of this ammo since last year's event.

START: 500 of .223 and 500 of 7.62x39
    END: 500 of .223 and :dunno: of 7.62x39

The reason for this is because Blythe's donated 1K of .223 ammo and we used that ammo first before touching our INGO donation stash. The case of Blythe's ammo was not fully used so the remaining was picked up by them.

I plan on keeping the majority of the .22lr ammo in storage until next year.
    1.5K *might* be donated to the Project Appleseed this week who has 30 high school kids doing a special Project Appleseed event in NWI. They were short on rifles and ammo but I have not gotten confirmation that they still need the ammo. I do know they took several of our 10/22s with them for the event (x4 so far).

--THE EVENT GENERAL OBSERVATIONS--
    With one event under our belt it sure did help to correct the issues we found out last year.

I don't think I saw any crowding on the various stations as I was able to direct traffic right after the registration table. I told the families about the 4 safety rules and allowed the kids to hold an empty M1 carbine to understand the weight they were about to handle on the benches and then depending on which station had the most people would direct folks to another station to start off at. Also stressing they could skip station and not have to do them in any order.

I had asked DNR to rope off the benches so that the ranges would have a clear entry/exit point and it looks like that helped a lot on the 50 yard making it easier to keep track of the observers and the line at the same time.

Did not get any report on low on ammo and from our left over inventory it looks like we hit the mark just right.
    Sorry Ghost for not replying to you txt msg. I had my phone on airplane mode during the event so your txt msg I did not see until way after the event. Hopefully the 2 ammo runners were able to get to you.

Would like to know how the instructors held up in terms of staying hydrated?
    Plus was the ammo to start off with OK?
    Any issues with ammo and getting it?

Comments from the cooking area is we need to start cooking at the start of the event to ensure we have food ready to go from the beginning since some of the early people left after an hour of the event with no hot dogs just chips/drinks. The boiling the hotdogs was the easy way to do it this year for the amount of people we had. The turkey fryer was a godsend!

Also something else we stumbled on by accident. We had the peanut free snacks covered (ie. Oreos and Fruit by the foot) but some people have gluten issues and could only eat hot dogs MIUNS the buns. One mom thanked us for not having the buns and dogs together but separate as her son could not eat the bread or even have a hot dog if the bread had touched it. That I did not know of and we did it to ensure the bread would not get soggy. So for next year we will continue to keep everything separate.

The water again was hit & miss. We had way too much water and ended up tossing away 10 gallons of cooking water and 12 gallons of drinking water. I just never know how much to bring and it's always best to have MORE then needed to ensure everyone stays hydrated. The bottles of water and cans of pop all but disappeared this time around.

Could not have asked for better weather! It was cloudy and overcast from 7AM to NOON and in the 70s the netire time with no rain and very little bugs. At noon as we beagn to tear down the setup the sun finally came out which shot the temps up to the 80s and so did the bugs! :xmad:

--DNR WINAMAC TALK--
    Tom (main DNR guy) and I were able to talk about 15 mins before the event ended.

This year unlike last year in the email he sent to the pre-registered people he told them the event ran from 8AM to Noon and they could come at any time. This helped ensure a steady stream of people instead of the rush we had last year where everyone showed up at 8AM. Thus the comments by some of you that it seems like less people or more laid back. You actually had the same amount of people then last year but it was spread out over a longer period of time.

We had families from as far west as Dyer, Indiana and as far east as Angola, Indiana and from as far south as Lafayette, Indiana as well. The biggest way most families heard of the event was via Facebook, followed by the flyer's posted at various locations (Blythe's was mentioned as where most people saw the flyer).

We talked about expanding the demo tables for next year to include more hands on stuff as well.
    The ideas for next year are as follows:
    - reloading (shotshells)
    - reloading (pistol)
    - arrow demo
    - paper gun craft
    The idea for the last one is to show the kids the various parts of a gun (barrel, stock, magazine, etc.) and then have them glue their paper gun together.

Also a handgun station we both agree we should also do. Be it simulated, BB, pellet or .22lr is still up for debate.
    Also getting material from the NRA which we think may have coloring books and stickers on gun safety.
    Other ideas?

--MY DAY--
    Just like last year, I was able to greet all the guest as they were signing in and saw lots of young faces. I was able to talk to a grandmother who had never held a gun before and my M1 carbine during the safety demo was the first time she held one. Heard later on from DNR that she thanked us all for the fun time she had. She did not know it could be so much fun.

Also saw a little boy (1st time shooter) with his grandfather who looked real shy at the beginning. I saw them leaving about 1 hour later and the boy had a big smile on his face.

Lastly I heard about a little girl that put up one of our Hello Kitty targets and when Larry told her ok you can shoot she refused. She did not want to shoot the kitty! I think they had to call it cold range again have her take down the kitty and put up a different target. She wanted to take the Hello Kitty target home with her instead (which she did). There is a picture of the little girl with Larry I think.

I did only a few Appleseed targets after the event and it was bad. :crying:
    Test 1 - 150 (Marksmen level 1)
    Test 2 - 110 (Unqualified)
    Test 3 - 178 (Sharpshooter level 2)
    Test 4 - 198 (Sharpshooter level 2)

I kept shooting 1 inch above my targets but my groups were find. Suspect it was just being tired and my shooting glasses. My shooting glasses were fogging up a lot for the 1st 3 test. I took them off for test 4 and as you can see the results were much better. But by that point I was just not 'into' shooting much anymore.

---FINAL COMMENTS---
    I have said this several times but I had to repeat it again.

-volunteers-
    A big thank you to our volunteers that helped instructor. Without you this event would not have been possible.
    actaeon277, subtlesixer03, gstanley102, UnionPMedic, 1775usmarine, daddyusmaximus, baddyna96, geronimojoe85, actaeon277's dad (aka "Dad"), and Mr. Obnoxious1 you just showed a new generation the world of firearms and put a lot of smiles on both parents and kids alike.

GhostofWinter and Ms. subtlesixer03 your work as ROs was invaluable. We had a zero incident day because of you!
    I don't know who was manning the 50 yard as an RO. Did we have one?

Mr. Obnoxious1 can you please tell your daughter that I am very grateful for her help and her friend's help as ammo runners. It may not seem like much of a task to do but it helped ensure that everyone had ammo and their walking back and forth between the stations really helped.

GhostofWinter please let Nikkie know that I really appreciate her work in the kitchen even with her foot in a cast.

Our photographers SadClown, Gunbunnies, UziButton, and Fenway thank you for running around and capturing all these wonderful moments.

We had a few INGO extended family members also help in the mix.
    daddyusmaxmius 2 kids, gstaleny's son and draughter, and I think one other INGO member were floating around here and there. Did I miss anyone? I'm sure I did.

-Ammo Donors-
    My biggest fear this year was not having enough ammo. With the .22lr shortfall in the market still and not being about to outright buy it I was very concern. However, INGO your generosity shows no bounds. As you can see we had more then enough ammo and we had ammo come from all over the state. From as far south as Louisville, KY as well! What made it even more :wow: was the fact that the "INGO pony express" was in full swing. Members from southern Indiana would bring the ammo to central Indiana and then those members would bring it closer to NWI as well. A BIG THANK YOU to aclark and gstanley102 for doing ammo runs and collecting ammo from various parts of the state.

I want to also thanks Bylthe's in Valpo for not only their 1,400 rounds of .22lr ammo donated but also allowing DNR to purchase "at cost" 2,350 rounds for the event. This alone was 45% of the ammo we used.

-Other Donors-
    GhostofWinter what a great idea on the yellow vest for the ROs! This helped a lot to ensure people knew who to look for in terms of questions. I read the idea of getting a standard 'uniform' for next time and we should look into this for next year.

Blythe's in valpo provided us with ear plus and kids youth glasses as well. The safety glasses were a MAJOR plus for us this year.

-LEFT OVER EQUIPMENT-
    I have a deep wood off spray bottle (green) that someone left behind near the cooking area.
    Also a box of earplugs unopened. I think these belong to Blythe's but not sure.
    Also have only 3 of the 5 RO yellow vest.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    AMMO DONORS

Here is the list of ammo donors.

500 - baddyna96 (will bring)
    1025 - actaeon277 (will bring)
    100 - Ricnzak (will bring)
    500 - dyerwatcher (will bring)
    500 - KLB (will bring)
    950 - MTN (Jedi has will bring)
    200 - 1775usmarine (baddyn96 has will bring)
    2250 - Snapdragon, gstanley102, nipprdog (Jedi purchased on behalf of will bring)
    500 - KG1 (Jedi has will bring)
    1000 - Mgderf (Jedi has will bring; delivered by gstanley102)
    500 - 3steps (Jedi has will bring)
    250 - cynical (Jedi has will bring; delivered by gstanley102)
    250 - bill b (Jedi has will bring)
    350 - PMR (Jedi has will bring)
    675 - 12many (Jedi has will bring)
    500 - INDY MEMBER #1 (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    525 - INDY MEMBER #2 (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    725 - KJQ6945 (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    225 - Rocdenindy (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    500 - clelaj (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    333 - RobbyMAQ (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    500 - Churchmouse (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    2,350 - DNR Winamac
    1,400 - Blythe's Valpo

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I had no issues with water at my bench, and when it came time for lunch or use the bathroom everyone else was good at watching the open station to be sure someone didn't come up and start messing around. I think next year we should have volunteer for those instructors and crew. Fenway agreed and said he would make next year if everyone else agrees.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I had no issues with water at my bench, and when it came time for lunch or use the bathroom everyone else was good at watching the open station to be sure someone didn't come up and start messing around. I think next year we should have volunteer for those instructors and crew. Fenway agreed and said he would make next year if everyone else agrees.

?? hu ??

Still missing photos from Fenway I think.
    I have the email address of all the people that pre-registered and will be working on a short email to where they can see the photos as well as inviting them to INGO. :)

Perhaps it would be wise to grab all the photos and move them to one central location?

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    That was a great event!
    Kudos to Jedi!!!

I was on the 25yd range and was busy the entire time.
    Our RSO did a great job. He directed traffic, managed the ammo, and kept us safe.
    Because of his efforts all I had to do was to focus on the shooters.

I brought a couple of bottles of water with me so I had no problem with hydration.

It would have been nice to have a fourth instructor to float on our line.
    That way we could have taken an occasional break.

Count me in for next year.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Forgot one.

Here is the list of ammo donors.

500 - baddyna96 (will bring)
    1025 - actaeon277 (will bring)
    100 - Ricnzak (will bring)
    500 - dyerwatcher (will bring)
    500 - KLB (will bring)
    950 - MTN (Jedi has will bring)
    200 - 1775usmarine (baddyn96 has will bring)
    200 - Daddyusmaximus
    2250 - Snapdragon, gstanley102, nipprdog (Jedi purchased on behalf of will bring)
    500 - KG1 (Jedi has will bring)
    1000 - Mgderf (Jedi has will bring; delivered by gstanley102)
    500 - 3steps (Jedi has will bring)
    250 - cynical (Jedi has will bring; delivered by gstanley102)
    250 - bill b (Jedi has will bring)
    350 - PMR (Jedi has will bring)
    675 - 12many (Jedi has will bring)
    500 - INDY MEMBER #1 (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    525 - INDY MEMBER #2 (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    725 - KJQ6945 (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    225 - Rocdenindy (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    500 - clelaj (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    333 - RobbyMAQ (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    500 - Churchmouse (Jedi has will bring; delivered by aclark)
    2,350 - DNR Winamac
    1,400 - Blythe's Valpo

That bottle of Deep Woods off now belongs to INGO. I'll get more.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    New shooter takes target (courtesy Blythe's Sport Shop in Valparaiso, IN) down range.

Attendees also had the opportunity to participate in the archery station manned by DNR.

DNR personnel teach youth about reloading shotgun shells.

The INGO tent had stickers available to participants.

Attendees are trained in firearms safety before shooting firearms. One of the safety rules taught is keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
    INGOYouthDay_06.jpg

This is my safety.
    (Ok. I really didn't say that.)

[video=youtube;bTalnzcO0xk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTalnzcO0xk[/video]

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    ?? hu ??

Still missing photos from Fenway I think.
    I have the email address of all the people that pre-registered and will be working on a short email to where they can see the photos as well as inviting them to INGO. :)

Perhaps it would be wise to grab all the photos and move them to one central location?
    I was typing so fast forgot the word shirts.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Outstanding AAR and event! Congratulations to Jedi and his highly organized team of volunteers. I believe your efforts will have future benefits in the form of new shooters and eventually voters who are not afraid of firearms.

A big Thank You to everyone who made this event happen! :yesway:

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Love the pic of my Marlin being loaded such detail. Great pics Uzibutton. To all may I copy and savethe pics of myself for future posts on facebook for next year or to spread word for those who were interested but couldn't make it?

Thank you! I am glad you like the pictures so far. More pictures coming all this week. Feel free to download and use any of my pictures. Also here is link to my facebook page with the pictures from last weekend you can share... UziButton Facebook Page

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I think for next year we need to eliminate telling kids that an unloaded gun is always loaded. It really turns the kids off when they get lied to. I overheard two kids talking about it while they were leaving the shotgun range, didn't seem like they thought to highly of the instructor. Even though any adult would get the gist of it, the kids don't, or even worse, the ones who do understand think you are taking down to them, it is a total turn off either way. There is a reason that the NRA doesn't tell you all guns are loaded in any of the NRA classes.

Instead tell the kids to treat all guns as if they were loaded, no matter what.

Top Bottom