• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I think for next year we need to eliminate telling kids that an unloaded gun is always loaded. It really turns the kids off when they get lied to. I overheard two kids talking about it while they were leaving the shotgun range, didn't seem like they thought to highly of the instructor. Even though any adult would get the gist of it, the kids don't, or even worse, the ones who do understand think you are taking down to them, it is a total turn off either way. There is a reason that the NRA doesn't tell you all guns are loaded in any of the NRA classes.

Instead tell the kids to treat all guns as if they were loaded, no matter what.

I agree. Kids are very literal.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    UZI your pics are awesome! This was a fantastic event. Thanks to all of the NWI INGOers and INDNR and JEDI for making this happen!

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Ok. I'm home and able to type up my thoughts and such about the day. I think that everything went pretty well.

We had no safety problems on the 25yrd range.

Having the variety of targets allowed the new shooters to feel more invested in the experience

The safety briefing befrehand also allowed things to go smoother I think

The flagged off areas we a big help as well to control the flow of people.

There were plenty of pairs of eye protection as well as hearing protection at least at the 25 yrd range

Glad the turkey fryer worked out. I have a second one I can bring next year as well if that would make things go faster.

As for having too much water, I would rather bring too much and have to dump out some/ a lot than to run out. I brought 15 gallons to use for both cooking as well as drinking and ended up dumping about 12-13 gallons of it, but I don't consider it a waste to have it and not need it

Overall I noticed that the flow of people was much more even with less bunching up. There was only one or two times when folks had to wait to shoot

Overall I think we did a good job, certainly better than last year. But there is always room for improvment.

Did we have plenty of regular coolers and drink coolers?

How about tongs for the dogs? or other utensils

I think the idea of a way to differentiate the volunteers from the guest is a great idea red or orange hats? T-shorts? Also a way to differentiate the RSO's from the instructorsand other volunteers is a good idea I think.

A 'relief' instructor at each range to allow the instructors to take a break would be nice as well. This would the allow the instructors to take a break or run to the bathroom etc etc

A 'runner' to bring lunch to the RSO's and Instructors that are too busy to run grab something themselves

'Teaching aids' that allow the instructors to visually work on sight alignment with the shooters. The papers stapled to the tables were a big help, but I think we can do better.

Canopies at each range for those waiting to sit under if its hot or raining.

On a personall note, remember to bring batteries for my electronic ear protection. (mine died about 2/3rds to 3/4 of the way through LOL)

How about trying to get more sponsors for the event? IE Ducks Unllimited? or Friends of the NRA? Or even Remington or Federal (I know, far fetched, but ya never know)

My personal thoughts about introducing pistols to the mix is, well mixed. I like the idea of adding them, but to be totally honest without a proper dedicated range I don't see how we could do anything but pellet or BB gun pistols in a safe manner. I realize that the DNR has plans to build a pistol range at this location, but until this happens I can't see us including rimfire or centerfire pistols into the mix.

Ok that's pretty much everything that I can think of at the moment. If I have anything else I will post it as well. ;)

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    UZI your pics are awesome! This was a fantastic event. Thanks to all of the NWI INGOers and INDNR and JEDI for making this happen!
    Thank you! I am glad you like the pictures so far. Your video turned out great! Thank you for making the trip up to see us.

INGOYouthDay_21.jpg

Attendees had the opportunity to shoot clays with their choice of 20 gage and 12 gage shotguns.
    INGOYouthDay_22.jpg

This young gentleman became very proficient at shooting by the end of the day.
    INGOYouthDay_23.jpg

Dad supervises son as he acquires his target with a .22lr Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22.
    INGOYouthDay_24.jpg

The Hello Kitty targets were a big hit with attendees.
    INGOYouthDay_25.jpg

INGOYouthDay_26.jpg

CyberGuyPR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    NWI
    I had a great time. Unfortunately I forgot about the timezone change and ended up with just one hour to enjoy the event. It was my daughter's first time shooting and she enjoyed it a lot. I've been teaching the basics for years and looks like it paid off. Her trigger discipline was superb.

One thing that I noticed is that no one (myself included) explained to her the concept of a hot or cold range. Our first station was bow and arrow. There was a young lady struggling with her gear and there was a noticeable void in continuity. I then saw my daughter starting to cross the line to go retrieve arrows. I quickly reminded her that range was hot and she had to stay put. Once everyone finished and it was time to get the arrows I asked her why she crossed the line and she said no one told her she wasn't supposed to do that. Maybe add that to the safety briefing?

Everything seemed to run smooth. The facility was great and everyone was friendly. Hats off to all of those who donated time and/or resources to make this possible. I'm looking forward to next year so I can volunteer.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    This was again a great event for both Mrs and I. I so love getting to teach others how to shoot or how to improve there shooting. I had the luck to instruct 3 generations on how to shoot. I love teaching the kids but being able to teach parents and grandparents at the same time is just humbling to me. I really enjoy this event and will always if I am able be there to help however I can. There were a few shooters I instructed I will not soon forget. One young lady I got to teach how to shoot more consistently has an enormous amount of potential as a shooter. I really hope she sticks with it.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Final thoughts:

Thank you: A big thank you to all who contributed to make this event happen. Such events are instrumental in the cultivation of the next generations of shooters.

Stocks: I overheard a number of participants mention that they preferred the .22 rifles with the adjustable stocks. This makes sense due to the smaller stature of some of the younger participants. Thank you to those who loaned those particular .22 rifles for this event. Perhaps next year more .22 rifles with adjustable stocks can be incorporated, as they proved to be quite an asset in accommodating shooters of various sizes.

Suppressors: Next year exclusive use of suppressors and subsonic ammo specifically on the 25yd line may prove to be extremely beneficial. Doing so, would eliminate the loud gunshots that may scare new shooters. This would decrease level of fear and apprehension in the first stage of their progress through the various stations. This first stage is probably the most critical of the stages due to the fact that new shooters will be actively implementing the safety rules and shooting fundamentals they learn for the very first time. Use of suppressors can ensure participants’ attention to learning is not diverted by the fear of loud gunshots. Furthermore, the safe elimination of hearing protection with the incorporation of suppressors at the 25yd line will enable them to hear the instructors better, thus, increasing participants’ level of comprehension. Increased level of comprehension directly translates to increased levels of safety and technical proficiency. Moreover, when hearing protection is used, instructors are forced to yell instructions at participants. Younger individuals may be very intimidated by adults yelling instructions at them, which may increase the level of fear and apprehension during the experience.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hum... suppressors on 10/22 with adjustable stocks.
    I only know of one person (KLB) with that setup.
    We would need at least 3 for the 25 yard. Not sure we can do the 50 yard with the .223 rifles solo bench their unless we eliminate that one for next year but I do like it there. However even if we do eliminate it that is 6 more suppressors to get for a total of 9.

I'm not sure I can find that many right now. Even if I volunteer's UziButton who has what? 3 or 4 I think that still puts us at -5
    I do like the idea just where to find them is the question.

Will include the idea in the list that I'm still working on of adjustments for next year.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Hum... suppressors on 10/22 with adjustable stocks.
    Although the 10/22 is an excellent platform that would fit the given requirements, a number of other makes/models would also do nicely. For example the M&P 15-22 has a factory threaded, suppressor ready muzzle and an OEM adjustable stock.

We would need at least 3 for the 25 yard. Not sure we can do the 50 yard with the .223 rifles solo bench their unless we eliminate that one for next year but I do like it there. However even if we do eliminate it that is 6 more suppressors to get for a total of 9.
    While a completely quiet range does sound appealing, the greatest benefits would be on the 25yd line, like I mentioned in my previous post. 3 suppressed rifles should work nicely to make the 25yd line quiet and the remaining ranges could go loud.

I'm not sure I can find that many right now. Even if I volunteer's UziButton who has what? 3 or 4 I think that still puts us at -5 I do like the idea just where to find them is the question.
    According to the last post on THIS thread, Blythes is going to become a class 3 dealer soon. I wonder if they would be willing to send a rep with cans and rifles to accommodate?

Top Bottom