• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thank you all for your participation and the kind words. ACT takes great joy in presenting this class and training with you all. Our 2012 calender will be out shortly but look for an announcement regarding 25 Feb 12 at Riley Conservation Club.

selynn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I just wanted to THANK the Coach, ObiJohn and Rhino for another well run class. I always learn something and have fun!! However ** I think Rhino needs to go back to the 1911 and let his brother do the Glock thing. Just an impression I got from the night shoot.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I just wanted to THANK the Coach, ObiJohn and Rhino for another well run class. I always learn something and have fun!! However ** I think Rhino needs to go back to the 1911 and let his brother do the Glock thing. Just an impression I got from the night shoot.

that's funny right there:D

sorry I missed it vacation stores have been depleted for 2011

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Could those who attended let us know what models of lights you were using and whether you were happy with your choice? I need to buy a light and I would like to take the class next time it is offered...but I know nothing about tactical lights.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Could those who attended let us know what models of lights you were using and whether you were happy with your choice? I need to buy a light and I would like to take the class next time it is offered...but I know nothing about tactical lights.

I took this class twice. The first year I took a Fenix TK12 and this year I took a Surefire 6P LED.

I like the 6P LED better because the tailcap is strictly a momentary on and not a clicky cap that you can turn on. I think personally the ideal setup for me will be a handheld light that is only momentary on and a weapon mounted light for going to work when its needed.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I used a Surefire LX2 Lumamax. It worked great!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I made up my mind. I'm getting a holster made by Raven.

b7a852da.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Could those who attended let us know what models of lights you were using and whether you were happy with your choice?

Can I add to that: What methods of light retention did you use and find most workable?

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Methods of retention? Not sure what you mean?

Sorry, should've clarified "light retention". (edited post above)

aka How did you integrate your light into weapons manipulations?

aka How did you hold onto your light while doing mag changes and such?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Sorry, should've clarified "light retention". (edited post above)

aka How did you integrate your light into weapons manipulations?

aka How did you hold onto your light while doing mag changes and such?

My light was radioactive so it just glows :D

ok, but seriously... We did the Harries Technique, and a modified Cheek/Head position. My light was on a lanyard that allowed me to just let go and run my gear two-handed like normal and be able to just grab my light again when I was done. It just hangs down in my palm so that I don't have to reach at all.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ah...gotcha!

Doing mag changes, I just let the light drop and let it hang on my wrist using a lanyard. I tried holding onto the light while reloading, and I found it too difficult.
    And it wasn't that hard to "flip" the light back into my hand.

For holding the light while shooting, I found the "neck hold" method best, for me. Holding the light high against my head worked well too.

At first, I thought holding the gun and light together would make it easier to shoot more accurately. But once I started slowing down, 1-handed, that was easier for me to do.

I dunno if any of that makes sense either...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I dd notice a bunch of flashlights going thru different modes. Some were going bright, dim and then strobe.

I was glad I just had to hit the button for momentarily on, and then let off for "off".

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    sure fire GX2. I'm not real fond of it. It is kind of cumbersome to get it to go to really bright mode. It always takes two clicks. I really would like one of those contraptions that Obijohn had that would allow you to shoot two handed. I haven't been able to find one yet.

Harries was not favorable for me. I could not get the light where I needed it. I ended up with the top of the head hold. It seemed to shine the light right where I needed it. The cheek hold was okay, but found that I tended to shadow my sights.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=639936

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    sure fire GX2. I'm not real fond of it. It is kind of cumbersome to get it to go to really bright mode. It always takes two clicks. I really would like one of those contraptions that Obijohn had that would allow you to shoot two handed. I haven't been able to find one yet.

Harries was not favorable for me. I could not get the light where I needed it. I ended up with the top of the head hold. It seemed to shine the light right where I needed it. The cheek hold was okay, but found that I tended to shadow my sights.

Got the new Surefire 6PX < PICS> - AR15.Com Archive

I, too, thought the two hand enabling doohickey that Obijohn had looked like it had promise, but I didn't get a chance to play with it. Maybe he'll chime in and tell us who makes it.

and while Harries isn't looking popular so far...it felt most comfortable for me. The other methods tended to shine light on my sights and I found that distracting.

oh...and Bwframe...? sorry, if I embarrassed or offended you with some of my comments.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I, too, thought the two hand enabling doohickey that Obijohn had looked like it had promise, but I didn't get a chance to play with it. Maybe he'll chime in and tell us who makes it.

and while Harries isn't looking popular so far...it felt most comfortable for me. The other methods tended to shine light on my sights and I found that distracting.

oh...and Bwframe...? sorry, if I embarrassed or offended you with some of my comments.

:lmfao:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County

I am really upset that I had to work now
    If bwframe was embarrassed it had to be good

Top Bottom