• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Their pricing is interesting. Some stuff they sell for really cheap. Other stuff not so much.

I just got a 5 person tent at the Lafayette store for $60, but their 9mm WWB ammo was "on sale" for 60 cents per round.

Their clothing all seems to be priced well, and some shoes, especially the Magellan line (house brand) and the quality seems good enough.

They also offer 10% off for teachers. I don't know if that's an all the time deal or just for back to school, but my fiance teaches a graduate class at Purdue so we take advantage of that discount when we're in there.
    I was just at the one in Evansville yesterday. I noticed the same thing on ammo pricing. They had primers for $5.99 per hundred but no LRP’s.

They had some walker electronic earpro on sale for 10% off of $45. There was one in the package had been opened and mangled but they offered no discount for the open package so I passed.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Are you sure you saw that right? Yesterday at the Jeffersonville store WWB 9mm was $29.99 for a 100 round box and $16.99 for a 50 round box. Someone may have put the sign in the wrong place or something.
    I do think I was mistaken. I checked their website. It looks like what I saw was a 200 round box for $57.99. I thought it was for 100 rounds. :facepalm:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but I noticed that they're putting in an Academy Sports near County Line and U.S. 31 South in Indy. It's going in the former Old Time Pottery building in what used to be the old Target Mall.
    The grand opening sales when combined with a 20% off anything coupon (including guns) that they ran on a text special for the Avon store opening this past month cost me some $$$. I also got an Academy card for a stackable 5% more off.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I like their assortment of Fishing baits, line and gear. The prices on these items were certainly more competitive than the other stores.

I took one lap through the isles in the firearms dept and thats all I needed to do to verify the pricing was typical with every other place.

Places like this make me grateful that I have what I have and got when the getting was good.

These places have certainly become a quick in and out, or “an emergency” option for me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I like their assortment of Fishing baits, line and gear. The prices on these items were certainly more competitive than the other stores.

I took one lap through the isles in the firearms dept and thats all I needed to do to verify the pricing was typical with every other place.

Places like this make me grateful that I have what I have and got when the getting was good.

These places have certainly become a quick in and out, or “an emergency” option for me.
    What I have learned to watch with these big box sporting goods stores (Sportsman's Warehouse, Academy, etc) is that they periodically will run a really good deal on some specific items, and they occasionally also run some exceptional coupons (% off type) that you can sign up for, etc that don't have exclusions and can some times make for a good deal on guns, ammo, etc. But you kind of have to watch for them (watch their emails, check for sale prices on things you may be looking for, etc).

It took me a bit to figure this out with them. When Sportsman's Warehouse opened in Brownsburg, I was really disappointed in their grand opening, but I'm guessing I missed some of the % off stuff, etc that that may have ran in email/text signups, etc. When Academy opened in Avon, I signed up for some of that and there were some pretty good deals to be had.

Last edited:

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Just remember boys and girls, bring all your personal information to present to them if they (Academy's corporate lawyers) think you are buying anything firearm related.

MH

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I always try to stop by Academy Sports whenever we're around one and have time.

Seems like they carry some different brands of clothing I don't see at the usual options. Decent ammo selection also, at least at the Terre Haute store last time I was there.
    Same here, I’ve purchased several things from the newer store in Clarksville. They have a ton of stock on most things and a lot of pistols/ammo.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Just remember boys and girls, bring all your personal information to present to them if they (Academy's corporate lawyers) think you are buying anything firearm related.

MH
    I recently bought a couple of 12 ga. snap caps at the Academy Sports in Clarksville without any hassles.

Top Bottom