• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've had a few people ask about a defensive rifle class recently, and I have not done a DR101 this yet. If you'd like to participate in our Intro to Defensive Rifle this fall or early winter, please let me know via email Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com.

I do not know where or or when this might happen, so I'm just looking for people who are interested to point of being motivated to actually register and complete the class pending sheduling. It will be somewhere in central or west central Indiana and it won't happen until the weather is substantially cooler than it is now.

DR101 is a one-day class that consists of a classroom session where we discuss topics such as safety, attitude, some basics about a defensive rifle and its setup, how threats are stopped, fundamentals of marksmanship, zeroing, etc. After lunch we go to the range, establish and/or verify zeros, then start with drills that will address concepts such as boreline/sightline offset, stance and grip, movement, malfunction clearance, etc. Tuition is $125.

The equipment list is:

REQUIRED ITEMS:

· Eye protection
    · Hearing protection (suitable for use with rifle)
    · Rifle – must function reliably; self-loader strongly recommended such as AR-15-type, AK-type
    · Lubricant suitable for rifle (FP-10, CLP, Slip-2000, etc.)
    · Magazines – Five (5) minimum; more is better
    · Magazine carrier on body (for at least one or two spare mags)
    · Sling – either a “tactical” sling or a simple carry strap
    · Ammunition – 500 rounds

RECOMMENDED ITEMS:

· Clothing appropriate for season, including hat with brim and rain gear
    · Comfort items (sunscreen, insect repellant, over the counter pain reliever, etc.)
    · Shooting mat, knee pads, elbow pads, gloves
    · Cleaning kit
    · Snacks and beverages (water will be provided)

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Interested persons should feel free to ask questions here or by email, but if you are interested in participating in the class, please contact me directly by email with your real name.

Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

If I don't know you, it might help us both to also include a brief summary of your shooting and training background.

Also, it is unlikely that you will fire 500 rounds in one afternoon. I gave an estimate on the high side for a couple of reasons. First, I can't really tell anyone how many rounds they will fire because it depends on how the class progresses and how many rounds you choose to fire on the drills (I usually specify a range instead of an exaxct number of shots). Second, it's better to have some leftover than it is to run short. So if you're concerned about the ammor expenditure, it will probably be more in the 250-300 round ballpark.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd like to see some one local offer a 2 day fighting rifle course. I guess that would be an offensive rifle course.

Well, you'll have to define what you mean by "fighting" for me to respond effectively.

I understand that "fighting" is one of the buzzwords in use by some in the firearms training industry in order to differentiate themselves from their competitors. I don't find it to be exceptionally descriptive, helpful, or compelling. In my opinion, "fighting" is something avoidable that people choose to do because they can't control their tempers. ACT does not have much to offer in that regard.

We teach people to defend themselves when they don't have any other choice or any alternatives would be far worse. Defense often involves actions which an uninformed bystander might construe as "offensive" in nature, but the ultimate goal is defense.

In terms of purely offensive skills, I submit that much of the body of techniques is substantially similar, whereas the tactics employed may differ significantly. Ambushes and other offensive actions evolve differently from defensive actions because the former is proactive and the latter is reactive. While I might envision some handful of scenarios where that mindset and behavior might be useful, I will also say that they are dwarfed in number by the possible situations of a defensive nature that a law-abiding citizen in our society might potentially encounter. I do not intend to be flippant, but if offensive maneuvers are your primary interest, you may wish to seek entry in the military.

If the key to your inquiry is that the class be two days long, then there are a variety of options. One is to do DR101 with us, and then DR201 whenever enough students demand it. I'm anticipating doing DR201 either early winter or early spring if enough students cycle through the DR101 class and/or I get interest from people who have trained with others. At some point we may offer DR101/DR201 back to back on the same weekend much like we're doing DP101/DP201 in Warsaw in October, but I have no plans do so in the immediate future.

Many instructors do 3-day classes, but the only one that I know who does 2-day classes in Indiana is John Farnam (DTI). He's in Rochester, IN every spring at the Sandburr Gun Ranch. I recommend any and all of his classes (as well as his wife Vicki) without reservation.

Good luck finding an opportunity that meets your needs.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Update . . .

DR101 will be 30 October 2010 at Riley Conservation Club. I've sent the announcement to all who responded to me by email with interest so they can have dibs on places in the class.

I'll post an official announcement here some time later this week.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Update . . .

DR101 will be 30 October 2010 at Riley Conservation Club. I've sent the announcement to all who responded to me by email with interest so they can have dibs on places in the class.

I'll post an official announcement here some time later this week.

Ok Rhino, you've guilted me into it. :D Per our emails, I'm IN.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom