• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Where would the class be located? Potentially interested, but depends on location and date, as I have to plan around swim meets and other kid/summer activities.

Also need to pick up the required items for my rifle (extra mags/sling, etc)

Would this class be suitable for a complete AR noob (as in just bought it in the last week, and shot it once)? I have handled handguns for a long time (although no official training). Should I look at taking a pistol class first to ease into training with a weapon I am much more familiar/comfortable with, or take the rifle course first, to become more comfortable with the platform.

I know, its kind of a circular question, but asking for your professional opinion.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Where would the class be located? Potentially interested, but depends on location and date, as I have to plan around swim meets and other kid/summer activities.

Also need to pick up the required items for my rifle (extra mags/sling, etc)

Would this class be suitable for a complete AR noob (as in just bought it in the last week, and shot it once)? I have handled handguns for a long time (although no official training). Should I look at taking a pistol class first to ease into training with a weapon I am much more familiar/comfortable with, or take the rifle course first, to become more comfortable with the platform.

I know, its kind of a circular question, but asking for your professional opinion.

Without knowing the details of what Rhino has planned for this course, I can try and answer a couple of these questions, if I get it wrong, he will correct me.

Location? I'm going to GUESS it will be at Riley Conservation Club, but only Rhino know for sure.

Pistol and rifle training are independent of each other. While it would help quite a bit to have some type of training, we ALL crawled before we could walk. As long you understand the basic range commands, understand the functions on your AR, and take your time, you should be just fine. I would suggest getting some range time, just getting rounds down range, getting your AR zero'ed as best you can, will help a lot.

If you want to look at a pistol class to get a feel for what real "training" is like, check out ACT's intermediate pistol class coming up in Indy at Marion county Fish and Game. If any thing, you'll learn some about your pistol and shooting it better, and get familiar with how a training class works, and how they train. They are a top notch group and a great bunch of guys.

Now, RHINO, what's the date???? If you say the weekend of June 17-19, we are going to have a SERIOUS problem..... :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Still no dates yet. I'd be looking at RileyCC near Terre Haute first, but matching dates and availability is sometimes tricky. There are some other options, but all would be in west central or central Indiana.

Re: noobs...

Ideally someone who attends a defensive rifle class will have been exposed to at least one pistol class, whether it's ours or someone else's. There are some reasons for this, most of which have to do with becoming familiar with basics of learning safely in that kind of environment. In ACT's case, we're specifically designed our DR101 to be consistent with the DP101. The concepts are the same, the applications are the same, but the the only real difference is the specific weapon (i.e. a rifle instead of a pistol). I'd be willing to discuss this with anyone who is unsure if the class is appropriate for them and we can usually reach a conclusion pretty quickly.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sorry for the lack of a recent update, guys. The heat is part of it, but I've been swamped with a variety of jobs and responsibilities the last few weeks. I'm hoping things will settle-down a bit over the next couple of weeks. Keep reminding me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay ... the team (i.e. Coach) "motivated" me to set some dates at our recent meeting. We're going to do do DR101/DR201 back to back on the same weekend. DR201 is open to anyone who has completed my DR101 or has comparable experience/training from elsewhere. Here they are:

24 SEP 2011 - DR101 "Intro to Defensive Rifle" - RileyCC
    25 SEP 2011 - DR201 "Defensive Rifle 2" - RileyCC

I'll post an "official" announcement in the near future with all of the details, but this should help you guys start to plan.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Okay ... the team (i.e. Coach) "motivated" me to set some dates at our recent meeting. We're going to do do DR101/DR201 back to back on the same weekend. DR201 is open to anyone who has completed my DR101 or has comparable experience/training from elsewhere. Here they are:

24 SEP 2011 - DR101 "Intro to Defensive Rifle" - RileyCC
    25 SEP 2011 - DR201 "Defensive Rifle 2" - RileyCC

I'll post an "official" announcement in the near future with all of the details, but this should help you guys start to plan.

People want this class or classes, and the most certified and certifiable ACT instructor should get off his ass and deliver. It is always a good time. Don't expect more dates in 2011 for this. Make arrangements.:rockwoot:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    People want this class or classes, and the most certified and certifiable ACT instructor should get off his ass and deliver. It is always a good time. Don't expect more dates in 2011 for this. Make arrangements.:rockwoot:

Hey! I may be stubborn, but I was pretty agreeable last night after I realized 3-4 changes of the topic didn't work. Heh.

Top Bottom