• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The idea of arming everyone would turn out like the old west, lots of shootings, but more deaths since there are more people and firearms are more powerful.

Fortunately, actual statistics disprove such "blood running in the streets" fear-mongering. It simply doesn't happen.

Every idiot having a firearm scares the crap out of me, I know people you can't trust with a screwdriver or hammer, there is no way giving them a firearm is a good idea...

Fortunately, again, the prerogative of the individual to exercise their God-given, natural, constitutionally protected rights doesn't depend on your level of fear or concern regarding how they will behave.

I know most people don't give a crap and write it off as 'Crazy', but the mechanics of this interest me.
    Like the Las Vegas shooter, and every other general/mass shooter, I wonder what flips that switch, and why some have switches & most don't...

Personally? No, I don't care too much about the why. For me, it is enough to know that both violently evil and dangerously deranged people exist, have always existed, and will always exist. That is reason enough to stand up for my and everyone else's right to bear arms in defense of self and others. Should I ever have to avail myself of that right, I'm not going to care about the reason someone has presented a mortal threat; my only concern is ending the threat.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Fortunately, actual statistics disprove such "blood running in the streets" fear-mongering. It simply doesn't happen.

Fortunately, again, the prerogative of the individual to exercise their God-given, natural, constitutionally protected rights doesn't depend on your level of fear or concern regarding how they will behave.

Personally? No, I don't care too much about the why. For me, it is enough to know that both violently evil and dangerously deranged people exist, have always existed, and will always exist. That is reason enough to stand up for my and everyone else's right to bear arms in defense of self and others. Should I ever have to avail myself of that right, I'm not going to care about the reason someone has presented a mortal threat; my only concern is ending the threat.

To a degree, I agree... but many of the this violent evil and dangerous people have histories that indicate such. I don't know about this current guy, but as JeepHammer said, the mechanics of "why," when it appears (from the outside) that the person was relatively "normal," with no apparent inclination to do such is interesting.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So....
    The shooter is a black dude.

Now, to us, race doesn't matter because no matter what shade on the color wheel he is, he's still a murdering douche nozzle.
    BUT - the media is so use to reporting on their agendas that they kinda jumped the gun on this one and already reported for gun control before finding out that he's not a white supremacist male. As did a hand full of democrat presidential candidates. Awkward!

I can just see the news studio finding this out, "Uh-Oh. He's black. Well how do we report on that? Well maybe he's not totally black."

Spin - Spin - Spin

Also, what are the carry laws over there? Can employees carry in spite of the rules or is it the law they don't carry.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I work in a government office. GFZ, no security, bull**** badge key system that could be defeated by smashing a glass door or lifting an employee badge from the first person you shoot. It's super nice knowing that accepting death is a condition of my continuing employment. But, you know, the more important thing is protecting the feelz of anti-gunners.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It appears the killer ignored local anti-suppressor laws to carry out his rampage. Imagine that.

Earlier, Cervera had said that the suspect used a .45-caliber handgun with a suppressor in the killings. Unlike some states, silencers are legal in Virginia, though it is illegal to have one in Virginia Beach per local ordinance.

https://www.wthr.com/article/latest-sources-gunman-recently-bought-multiple-guns

I'm sure if there were more laws outlawing suppressors it would have stopped him.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I read that he had “recently” purchased the firearms. You don’t “recently” purchase a suppressor though? Does this maybe point to many months premeditation?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Probably was a muzzle compensator
    Media definition to instill fear: silencer

I guarantee this is what it is. People were hearing gunshots through multiple walls and floors. The media is making up this silencer nonsense to fearmonger and have an excuse to point out that in SOME states this couldn't have happened because silencers are illegal. :rolleyes:

Same ****, different day. They're not going to stop lying until all your rights are gone.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I guarantee this is what it is. People were hearing gunshots through multiple walls and floors. The media is making up this silencer nonsense to fearmonger and have an excuse to point out that in SOME states this couldn't have happened because silencers are illegal. :rolleyes:

Same ****, different day. They're not going to stop lying until all your rights are gone.

MY rights will NEVER be gone. Others’ mileage may vary...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

I mean most caliber suppressors arent quiet inside rooms so its still possible they heard shots and thumps if one was being used. But whenever i read stories with reporters or even police making initial coments about firearms i always yawn and just wait for the facts to come out later

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    MY rights will NEVER be gone. Others’ mileage may vary...
    Amen. Not till im dead and burried. Surrender is not a word in the freedom vocabulary, and im no ones little cuck.
    I and my children WILL NOT be the generation that gave away the freedoms my revolutionary war ancestors fought and bled to first secure creating this nation and that others including myself bled in other wars keeping. That will not be on me.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    To a degree, I agree... but many of the this violent evil and dangerous people have histories that indicate such. I don't know about this current guy, but as JeepHammer said, the mechanics of "why," when it appears (from the outside) that the person was relatively "normal," with no apparent inclination to do such is interesting.

And that's true, but it's a matter for the legal/justice/institutional system to deal with. From my perspective, as an average, nobody, private citizen, that's not something that I can, or have the means or responsibility to, solve. All I can do is ensure that I am as prepared as possible for eventualities that are outside my control. That's the position his former coworkers found themselves in - only thy were denied the ability to be prepared.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    News media on TV right now stating he had two pistols, one fitted with a "silencer".

As for the parallel conversation, I agree that something needs to be done about criminal protection zones.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana

Don't try to rewrite what I wrote.
    Per capita, there were a crap load of shootings in the old west...
    A quote I remember from an old west writer that Mark Twain used to quote, "If people on the frontier were better shots, there would have been a lot less of them."

You also have to remember behind disease, gunshot wounds were the #2 cause of death on the migration west.
    You might be surprised to know that many gunshot wounds in wagon trains moving west were self inflicted or accidental.

The first gun control laws were enacted by towns that got sick and tired of idiots settling arguments (often drunk) with firearms.

Got that backwards...
    Your choice of religion ('god') and your rights to firearms are protected by the Constitution and the rule of law.
    Your choice of 'god' protects nothing, it's men skilled in violence, willing to ensure the rule of law under the Constitution that protects you and your ideas.
    As in military & police.
    As in... 'God' hasn't shown up once in court to protect your rights...

Of course you don't.
    I asked "Why?", I didn't ask your opinions or agenda, and you offered exactly zero in the way of answers, or posed/refined the questions.
    You used my post to vent your opinions & agenda simply because what I wrote didn't fit your narrative...
    You basically decided to rant about someone actually asking pertinent questions...

Some of us want a deeper understanding, education doesn't scare or intimidate us, we actually ask the big questions and seek answers.
    The bumper sticker/meme sized slogans aren't answers, and the real answers won't fit on a bumper sticker or meme.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Don't try to rewrite what I wrote.
    Per capita, there were a crap load of shootings in the old west...
    A quote I remember from an old west writer that Mark Twain used to quote, "If people on the frontier were better shots, there would have been a lot less of them."

You also have to remember behind disease, gunshot wounds were the #2 cause of death on the migration west.
    You might be surprised to know that many gunshot wounds in wagon trains moving west were self inflicted or accidental.

The first gun control laws were enacted by towns that got sick and tired of idiots settling arguments (often drunk) with firearms.

Got that backwards...
    Your choice of religion ('god') and your rights to firearms are protected by the Constitution and the rule of law.
    Your choice of 'god' protects nothing, it's men skilled in violence, willing to ensure the rule of law under the Constitution that protects you and your ideas.
    As in military & police.
    As in... 'God' hasn't shown up once in court to protect your rights...

Of course you don't.
    I asked "Why?", I didn't ask your opinions or agenda, and you offered exactly zero in the way of answers, or posed/refined the questions.
    You used my post to vent your opinions & agenda simply because what I wrote didn't fit your narrative...
    You basically decided to rant about someone actually asking pertinent questions...

Some of us want a deeper understanding, education doesn't scare or intimidate us, we actually ask the big questions and seek answers.
    The bumper sticker/meme sized slogans aren't answers, and the real answers won't fit on a bumper sticker or meme.

Nevermind I'm just going to keep my mouth shut. All it would do is start or escalate an argument.

Top Bottom