• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    so I've been doing some research on the .44 magnums, specifically the S&W 629, and the Taurus Raging Bull 6.5" models... I know the S&W would be the better route to go, however money is also a factor. is it worth saving to get a S&W, or are the RB's sufficient in getting the same end result? thanks for your help.
    Tim

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Cost is the limiting factor in so much.

I have found in thr past on 44 mags to watch the used market and one will show up. Lots of used rarily shot 44's sitting around in safes nationwide. Many without as much as a box of ammo shot thru them. The dirty harry psitol is to much for some to shoot. Many were shot once and are sitting with about 44 rounds of ammo (a 50 box minus 6.)

Ruger fits into the list between taurus and smith in price and functionallity,

Look around deer season a long way out right now. 44 nag pistols and 22 mag rifles are rarely shot as much as you would think when they become avaiable on the used market.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Rugers are vary nice as well. I have a taurus 608(357mag) and a 454RB and thay are some of the best shooting pistols I have shot. My Ruger is my hunting gun, I run 340gn hard cast bullets threw it, S&W can't. And yes I do have S&W, I have around 15 S&W's I think and one of them is a 29.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    so I've been doing some research on the .44 magnums, specifically the S&W 629, and the Taurus Raging Bull 6.5" models... I know the S&W would be the better route to go, however money is also a factor. is it worth saving to get a S&W, or are the RB's sufficient in getting the same end result? thanks for your help.
    Tim

I have a SMITH & WESSON 629 POWERPORT, Think it's great, BUT if money was a issue I would buy a RUGER SUPER BLACKHAWK:twocents:

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    +1.... have you looked at or considered Ruger? Is this just a range gun, to hunt deer with or what?

well, I love big handguns, wouldnt mind carrying one. its a personal thing I know alot of people would think I'm crazy, but like 'em. there also intimidating. :): but yeah pretty much all around use... I heard the RB's with the ported barrels have very little recoil, but again with the taurus its kinda a hit or miss. thanks for the help again.
    Tim

Dpj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    IDK but the only one I ever shot was the Dirty Harry one and was pretty neat

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Ruger Super Blackhawk for me. I have tried several others and I just like em. A little trigger work can do wonders.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I grew up shooting my dads Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag and still love that gun to this day. He did replace the grips with some Hogues to help keep recoil managable when I was young, but that thing shot like a wet dream. Either way, I'm still happy with it's performace, can't go wrong with Ruger wheel guns.....or Smith's for that matter. My opinion (and worth nothing more than any other opinion) is S&W or Ruger and you'll be happy long term.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Tim

I've got a 44mag 629 w/4", a Redhawk w/6", and Super Blackhawk with the 7.5".

If you think you want to carry it regularly for self defense then you want a 4"-5" barrel and double action. My 629 does that job and I like it for that but I wouldn't hesitate to use the Redhawk but the barrel on mine is a little long and it's blue. I wish it were SS.

For just carrying in the woods and out of town the SS Super Blackhawk is just plain fun and as cool as it get's IMO.

If I was buying ONE today knowing what I've learned from all three and figuring it to be my one 44, it would be a SS Redhawk with a 4 or 5" barrel.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    .44 tracker

I have a 44 tracker 4 inch it's a great gune fits in a s&w k frame holster light enough to carry on long trips shoots well since I've had it.

bk1330

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Jeffersonville,IN
    I have owned rugers,smiths, and a interarms virginian dragoon. Also a desert eagle. I have shot several taurus's,colts and dan wessons. I liked them all if money is a issue I would definately go used. Right now the only .44 I have is my interarms virginian dragoon I will never part with it. But I also have a super redhawk it is just in .454 not .44. I would buy any of them again. I loved them all I just trade guns alot. So who knows what I will get next.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Who told you that Smiths are the way to go? Granted, they are more collectible and cost more when you can find a good one used, probably the result of the Dirty Harry movies. However, as far as shootabilitygoes, I have read reviews that say a Redhawk or a Super Redhawk will easily and safely shoot loads that will send a Smith back to the shop for repairs. I have 4 .44 Mags, two Rugers and two Tauruses. I might trade my Raging Bull as partial payment for a good Model 29 just because it is just too big of a gun. It looks like something that I could bludgeon you to death with after I ran out of ammo. With both my Rugers, I can hit or come very close to hitting a two liter bottle every time even at my ripe old age and failing vision. With a Ruger, you would be able to buy more bullets than you would if you went Smith. If I wanted a Smith, I would have a Smith other than my Model 27. Just my two cents.

Top Bottom