• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Who told you that Smiths are the way to go? Granted, they are more collectible and cost more when you can find a good one used, probably the result of the Dirty Harry movies. However, as far as shootabilitygoes, I have read reviews that say a Redhawk or a Super Redhawk will easily and safely shoot loads that will send a Smith back to the shop for repairs. I have 4 .44 Mags, two Rugers and two Tauruses. I might trade my Raging Bull as partial payment for a good Model 29 just because it is just too big of a gun. It looks like something that I could bludgeon you to death with after I ran out of ammo. With both my Rugers, I can hit or come very close to hitting a two liter bottle every time even at my ripe old age and failing vision. With a Ruger, you would be able to buy more bullets than you would if you went Smith. If I wanted a Smith, I would have a Smith other than my Model 27. Just my two cents.

I would second this....Like the Ruger the better of the two though.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Dan Wesson has a really nice one with interchangeable barrels of various lengths. I have one, but only have one barrel with it.
    124.jpg

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I would recommend a Dan Wesson or Ruger Super Redhawk,
    Dan Wesson was a favorite for long range silhouette shooting.
    My Dan Wesson will cut bullet holes at 100 yards. It is scoped.
    I have a friend who has a Super Redhawk that will shoot just as well.

If you want a Dan Wesson you'll have to look for a used one. I just checked and they are making the .357 again. Maybe the .44 will will follow soon.

I find the grip on the Smith and Wesson hard to shoot well. I have no experience with the Taurus .44 but I like my .38 spl. :twocents:

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    If you haven't shot a blackhawk I would highly recommend it. These are the best feeling guns in my hand. I think many people are but off by the thought of single action but I don't see anyone wanting to rapid-fire a .44 mag and it makes for good shot placement. They are also one of the only .44s that can handle hot loads. They're a great value. Only drawback i can see is that you can't use a speed loader.:draw:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    If you haven't shot a blackhawk I would highly recommend it. These are the best feeling guns in my hand. I think many people are but off by the thought of single action but I don't see anyone wanting to rapid-fire a .44 mag and it makes for good shot placement. They are also one of the only .44s that can handle hot loads. They're a great value. Only drawback i can see is that you can't use a speed loader.:draw:
    They work fine with my DW. I don't shoot it much due to cost of ammo, but I really do enjoy it. Also it's built as well as any ruger I've owned and I wouldn't hesitate to use full handloads in it. It seems the Dan Wesson name was built on match pistols and a very high degree of accuracy.....Honestly I had never heard of them until I acquired this one, but don't regret having it in any way shape or form.

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    this has been very helpful! I appreciate everyones help. I think I'm sold on the S&W, I love the look of the 629 classic!
    400px-SW-629.jpg

I do also like the single actions, but the sights on the blackhawk are kinda big for my liking... kinda more like a target pistol.
    RugerBlackhawk44magnum.jpg

hopefully I'll come to a conclusion next week at the 1500 gun show, that way I can at least feel and handle them.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I agree on the looks or the 629/29 smith being a very nice looking item. You should get a 686 357 to go with it.

The ruger has a less refined look. The taurus is not USA made.

Go ahead make my day.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Lots of good points here, but I'd advise to handle them all and buy the one YOU like. It may or may not cost you a little more, but you'll be more satisfied with your pistol. I CHOSE the Taurus in 8 3/8" for my deer gun, bought it used and righteous from a fellow INGOer. As alluded to above, lots of good used guns in the INGO classifieds.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    If you are going to shoot a lot of hot magnum loads, I would go with a single action Ruger. If you are going to shoot factory mag loads on occasion and for the most part 44 spl., get the 629. I would stay away from the Taurus.

I have a 6" 629 and love it!

asquires2

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had a 629, nice piece . I ended up selling it because I had the itch for something else. I bought a RSBHH 7" barrel and I have to honestly say I LOVE IT! I dont know what the deal was with the 629 but my RBHH is the ticket. I cant take nothing away from the 629 not to mention the resale value on it . Maybe one day Ill have another one w/ a ported barrel but for now its Ruger all the way.

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    well from the ones I've seen looks like they go for about $600-$700 used... thats the only thing holding me back from getting one "right now". I'll have to wait and save if I intend on getting a smith. personally, I like the looks of the taurus. yeah theres alot of haters out there, but from what I've read, those who own the RB's are very pleased with them. we'll see, got plenty of time think about it while I save ;-)

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Never owned one myself, however my freinds step-dad has one that I put a few rounds though. I didn't have any issues and he seems pretty happy with it.

well from the ones I've seen looks like they go for about $600-$700 used... thats the only thing holding me back from getting one "right now". I'll have to wait and save if I intend on getting a smith. personally, I like the looks of the taurus. yeah theres alot of haters out there, but from what I've read, those who own the RB's are very pleased with them. we'll see, got plenty of time think about it while I save ;-)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I have a .357 Taurus Tracker and LOVE it. People can hate all they want, I've had several Taruses? Tauri?....Revolvers over the years and have never had a problem, Never had a semi from them, but have heard mixed reports....I really like the 7 shot cylinder....

Top Bottom