Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    1. I was selling a gun for $250 once.
    2. Got a 1 word email: "$180"
    3. I sent back a one word email: "$280"
    4. Yes, I was offended.
    5. I did ended up selling the gun for $225 later, which if he would have started at $200, that would have been acceptable.
    6. But, in fairness: it must work for them, but I'd be afraid of what the gun's "hidden qualities" would be in a quick acceptance of a "too-low wishing" offer.

There is nothing wrong with giving someone else a good deal from time to time.
    We ALL like to get a deal, and sometimes Karma does work.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It doesn’t help any when you tell us what you paid. :D

I know you’ve said that you aren’t into buying online but it’s worth looking into again. You are competing with those prices when you go to sell anyways. Depending on the site shipping can be free and USDS in Greenwood does transfers for $15 if paid in cash. Between the lower prices and the fact you don’t pay sales tax (supposed to report that on your taxes), you can save a bunch at the time of purchase.

1. All that info is online here anyway since I processed the buying in detail.
    2. Truth is I really don't care if what I paid is known when I'm not making in money, but I have thought of that when I go to sell a gun that everyone knows the detailed history. :dunno:
    3. Most of my guns are bought on Armslist and noone had said they knew what I paid and therefore I must sell for less money: I'm sure it will happen since I'm a blabbermouth.
    4. Even when it comes to the Ruger 1911: if it doesn't sell, I'll enjoy it for the next few weeks/months then try again, or, I can always keep lowering the price $25/wk until it does sell.
    5. In fact, I've always wanted to have the time selling a car or whatever and put in the ad that the price will be reduced by XX dollars every week until it sells and see what happens.
    6. To me, that would be akin to an auction. I saw a rifle between Thanksgiving and Xmas sell one like that, reducing the price by XX amount every week: wish I knew the details of that story.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I know you’ve said that you aren’t into buying online but it’s worth looking into again. You are competing with those prices when you go to sell anyways. Depending on the site shipping can be free and USDS in Greenwood does transfers for $15 if paid in cash. Between the lower prices and the fact you don’t pay sales tax (supposed to report that on your taxes), you can save a bunch at the time of purchase.

Agreed, I'm generally comparing against Grab-A-Gun and the like, and shipping is like $7.99 and no sales tax collected at time of sale, paired with a $15 transfer at USDS. If you can't get at least there on a used price, I'm not even looking.

As far as accessories, not interested unless whatever gun it is has almost new Trijicon HD's or the like installed.

And OP, when you were talking $500 for the original Ruger you were looking at, I said it was a buy, and stand by that. However, I think you got lost in the hunt for the one that got away and paid more for this one when you bought it (my 2 cents). The one you bought was not a bad deal for someone who wanted a nice Ruger 1911, but not the deal that someone looking to flip it should have jumped on. At $500, the original one would have been good to go and you would not have lost anything. Also, if you are willing to let it ride, it will sell when you eventually find the right person. IMO, you can't expect to sell that quickly unless you either have an impulse item price range or a real steal of a deal.

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. All that info is online here anyway since I processed the buying in detail.
    2. Truth is I really don't care if what I paid is known when I'm not making in money, but I have thought of that when I go to sell a gun that everyone knows the detailed history. :dunno:
    3. Most of my guns are bought on Armslist and noone had said they knew what I paid and therefore I must sell for less money: I'm sure it will happen since I'm a blabbermouth.
    4. Even when it comes to the Ruger 1911: if it doesn't sell, I'll enjoy it for the next few weeks/months then try again, or, I can always keep lowering the price $25/wk until it does sell.
    5. In fact, I've always wanted to have the time selling a car or whatever and put in the ad that the price will be reduced by XX dollars every week until it sells and see what happens.
    6. To me, that would be akin to an auction. I saw a rifle between Thanksgiving and Xmas sell one like that, reducing the price by XX amount every week: wish I knew the details of that story.

The only issue with sharing all the details is that it can make a harder sale. They do make for a good read though!

I’m not surprised that no one commented about what you paid vs what you are asking. More likely is that they just don’t make an offer on it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Agreed, I'm generally comparing against Grab-A-Gun and the like, and shipping is like $7.99 and no sales tax collected at time of sale, paired with a $15 transfer at USDS. If you can't get at least there on a used price, I'm not even looking.

As far as accessories, not interested unless whatever gun it is has almost new Trijicon HD's or the like installed.

And OP, when you were talking $500 for the original Ruger you were looking at, I said it was a buy, and stand by that. However, I think you got lost in the hunt for the one that got away and paid more for this one when you bought it (my 2 cents). The one you bought was not a bad deal for someone who wanted a nice Ruger 1911, but not the deal that someone looking to flip it should have jumped on. At $500, the original one would have been good to go and you would not have lost anything. Also, if you are willing to let it ride, it will sell when you eventually find the right person. IMO, you can't expect to sell that quickly unless you either have an impulse item price range or a real steal of a deal.

1. I'm certainly smarter at the end of the day than at the beginning! :ugh:
    2. Everything you said is "spot-on." I did get carried away with the hunt after losing the $500: I just couldn't stop the "hunt" once it started. :dunno:
    3. I paid $600 and got $100+ worth of magazines so same thing, right? (Then there was sales tax and a 3% fee for using the credit card) NOT!!! :wallbash:
    4. I now wish H.A. hadn't taken my offer, and after the buying frenzy of the past month and especially the past week I would have moved on. :)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I'm certainly smarter at the end of the day than at the beginning! :ugh:
    2. Everything you said is "spot-on." I did get carried away with the hunt after losing the $500: I just couldn't stop the "hunt" once it started. :dunno:
    3. I paid $600 and got $100+ worth of magazines so same thing, right? (Then there was sales tax and a 3% fee for using the credit card) NOT!!! :wallbash:
    4. I now wish H.A. hadn't taken my offer, and after the buying frenzy of the past month and especially the past week I would have moved on. :)

Many of us have been there. And the accessories, that came with it could have made it worth it to someone who was keeping it and going to shoot it a lot, if they were quality.

It's easy to get caught up in the chase. I've learned to slow down and narrow down what I'm after a good bit, know ahead of time what potential compromises I may be willing to make, and be ready to jump when I see a good deal on what I am after. That has taken quite a bit of time.

There's no way I could keep the pace of buying/trading/selling you have.

Live and learn.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got home and changed the Armslist ad to match the one here. Couldn't do it on my cell???
    Didn't take out the word firm, though. I'm not ready to take anything less than $600, but yes, if someone offered $575, I'd cave since everyone here has me scared I overpaid. :laugh: $550: NO!
    I'll wait and see what the weekend brings.
    I know some need to look at an ad for awhile, especially if it isn't priced spectacularly (like I think it is :laugh:).

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    You can't lose money on guns if you don't sell them.

5UW5cUC.jpg

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    * advertise gun with only 2 mags and no ammo for $600, and then sell the 3 mags for $50 separately (mags retail online for $40: should I be asking more $$ for them?
    No one will pay $40 for a used 1911 mag.

Rural King runs ads from time to time on ruger 1911s for 599. If you're buying guns to sell for a profit you need an ffl.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Got home and changed the Armslist ad to match the one here. Couldn't do it on my cell???
    Didn't take out the word firm, though. I'm not ready to take anything less than $600, but yes, if someone offered $575, I'd cave since everyone here has me scared I overpaid. :laugh: $550: NO!
    I'll wait and see what the weekend brings.
    I know some need to look at an ad for awhile, especially if it isn't priced spectacularly (like I think it is :laugh:).

So what if you overpaid? Not by much, plus you are supporting a local shop.
    I wouldn't get to wound up because it hasn't sold in two days or as quick as your others have sold.
    Give it some time and the right buyer will come along, and you both walk away happy.
    Or keep it and shoot it some more.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    No one will pay $40 for a used 1911 mag.

Rural King runs ads from time to time on ruger 1911s for 599. If you're buying guns to sell for a profit you need an ffl.

1. Of course. Why make that point? :dunno:
    2. But, I would expect someone to pay $20 for a $40 mag, especially if it has seen very little use.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't get to wound up because it hasn't sold in two days or as quick as your others have sold.
    Give it some time and the right buyer will come along, and you both walk away happy.

1. Exactly! And I'm fine with it and at peace with living with my largesse at this point. :laugh:
    2. I did appreciate the heads-up so I had time to get it priced more equitably for the weekend.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I go to several web sites for new gun prices to compare prices,shipping. But I go to gunbroker and get prices for new and used guns. But I buy my ammo bulk in 1,000 rounds. Ammo seek is a great start.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There is nothing wrong with giving someone else a good deal from time to time.
    We ALL like to get a deal, and sometimes Karma does work.

1. Since I have "always" sold my guns in a day or less, I assume I always give people a good deal; my goal in my dealings is: win/win for both parties.
    2. I enjoy passing it forward when I have bought at a sweet price and then sell.
    3. Since I evidently overpaid for this Ruger 1911, I hope the "karma" will rescue me. :)
    4. I have received:
    * $550 cash offer
    * trade for a like new Glock 19 Gen 4 with 4 mags and IWB holster and a 1,000 rounds of 22lr ammo
    * trade for a Glock 17 Gen 5
    * trade for a Beretta apx
    5. I'm holding out for $600 and will not sell cheaper this weekend, and I might just keep it to enjoy for awhile longer if $600 doesn't sell; I'll let it simmer for awhile.
    6. I can't imagine a trade offer that would temp me, unless someone has a spectacular 22LR I don't have, and noone is going to offer a trade of one of those spectacular $1000ish target 22s that Smith or Beretta has or Browning (maybe others, I don't pay too much attention to the high-end 22LRs). I don't really need anything else, but I am a sucker for stainless steel 22LR. :dunno:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I go to several web sites for new gun prices to compare prices,shipping. But I go to gunbroker and get prices for new and used guns. But I buy my ammo bulk in 1,000 rounds. Ammo seek is a great start.

1. I was just looking at ammoseek.com yesterday to get ammo prices.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    While you cannot add discussion replies to a for sale thread, you can and should add a reply every couple of days and just say "bump" to bring your listing back to the first page.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Our boy is tight with his nickels.
    I would almost bet a lunch (cheeseburgers at your favorite pub) that he is hooked on the .22 round because it is the absolute cheapest way to shoot. Or he is recoil shy.....:dunno:

Just a casual observation.

Top Bottom