• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    My observation if you will and while it might sound like a joke there is 80% truth to it. If you want to sell something for close to what you need it seems hat if the buyer (or a lot of them) think they are getting a steal and you letting yourself get hosed by your own necessity buyers will come out of the wood work. So make up a story about bankruptcy,wife leaving or something and they will be like buzzards! Again just an observation

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Our boy is tight with his nickels.
    I would almost bet a lunch (cheeseburgers at your favorite pub) that he is hooked on the .22 round because it is the absolute cheapest way to shoot. Or he is recoil shy.....:dunno:

Just a casual observation.

1. No great discovery there: guilty :dunno:, I thought that's why anyone has a 22LR: save $$ at the range.
    2. When I go to the range for an hour, I run about 300 rounds through.
    3. Yes, I am the kind of guy that does the math: the difference is between $20 and $80 in ammo costs for 1 range visit. (depending what you are running through. I was running .22 magnum, .25, .32, .380, 38 special, 9mm and .45 acp besides the 22LR: some of that gets up to 30 cents and more, some "only" 20 cents each.
    I don't even want to talk about the .410 or the 45LC :wallbash:
    I have eliminated the .25 and the .45, and intend to do the same with the .32, which will reduce range costs.
    4. I try to go 1x/wk = difference of $80 and $320 in a month (on average)
    5. In a year based on 1x/wk = $1000ish as compared to $4000ish.
    6. Even if you only do half of that b/c life gets in the way: $500ish compared to $2000 per year.
    7. Yes, nickels are important to me especially with retirement looming which will bring a screeching halt to this type of expenditure.
    8. I can afford it now, so I'm having my fun: things will change as does with age and a reduced income. :fogey:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1. No great discovery there: guilty :dunno:, I thought that's why anyone has a 22LR: save $$ at the range.
    2. When I go to the range for an hour, I run about 300 rounds through.
    3. Yes, I am the kind of guy that does the math: the difference is between $20 and $80 in ammo costs for 1 range visit. (depending what you are running through. I was running .22 magnum, .25, .32, .380, 38 special, 9mm and .45 acp besides the 22LR: some of that gets up to 30 cents and more, some "only" 20 cents each.
    I don't even want to talk about the .410 or the 45LC :wallbash:
    I have eliminated the .25 and the .45, and intend to do the same with the .32, which will reduce range costs.
    4. I try to go 1x/wk = difference of $80 and $320 in a month (on average)
    5. In a year based on 1x/wk = $1000ish as compared to $4000ish.
    6. Even if you only do half of that b/c life gets in the way: $500ish compared to $2000 per year.
    7. Yes, nickels are important to me especially with retirement looming which will bring a screeching halt to this type of expenditure.
    8. I can afford it now, so I'm having my fun: things will change as does with age and a reduced income. :fogey:

Well Poop......I win and no cheese burger.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My observation if you will and while it might sound like a joke there is 80% truth to it. If you want to sell something for close to what you need it seems hat if the buyer (or a lot of them) think they are getting a steal and you letting yourself get hosed by your own necessity buyers will come out of the wood work. So make up a story about bankruptcy,wife leaving or something and they will be like buzzards! Again just an observation

1. As a teacher of Psychology and someone who worked in sales in another lifetime, and a buyer/seller of antique cars and other hobbies what you are saying is so true: everyone loves to be there when there is a "fire" sale, or to take advantage of someone's desperate need for money and must sell short.
    2. One time it took me 2 yrs. to sell a 1941 Plymouth with a modern drivetrain. I bought it for $3000 and put $3000 in it. I couldn't give it away. My wife ended up selling it while I was at work one day: I still can't believe it. I think the desperation in my voice scared people away. :ugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sold it a young man (35ish) who had been looking for a pristine stainless 1911 and was very glad to get it.
    He was so glad I didn't sell short with one of the two $550 offers I had.
    I sold him some boxes of ammo as well.
    I gave him 20 rounds of some expensive ammo just b/c I liked his attitude and he seemed so grateful to get this gun for the price.
    Another win: win situation.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    All worked out for the best! Sometimes just takes a little longer.

1. After everyone giving me a "reality-check" :crying: I was grateful only to lose my taxes and other fee (3%) totaling $54, and b/c of his grateful attitude I gave him the expensive personal defense ammo that I had got when I bought some misc. ammo last summer, even before he bought 3 boxes of the range ammo for $12.50 box / .25 cents ea.
    2. Believe it or not, it's not all about the money with me, I like giving someone that "extra." :)
    3. I now only have maybe 120 rounds in partial boxes of .45 acp that I will probably sell worth about $40 @ .25 each to help pay for the 100s of dollars I have spent recently stocking up on 22LR and 22 magnum rounds lately.
    4. One of my 22 magnum guns I could sell now after getting the Taurus 990 22LR 9 shot SS (I have the magnum version as well that I could part with), but the sweet S/W Airweight 7 shot snubbie that I got and paid too much ($450) I want to hang onto for reasons I can't explain: I just like it.
    One of the few times I just lost control. (like the Ruger SR 1911 at Hoosier Armory)
    5. The other I should let go is the Ruger Bearcat I recently bought at Point Blank/Greenwood for $320. B/C of the other 22LRs I have bought in the past 10 days, I don't "need" it anymore.
    6. My experience with the Ruger single-actioon Western style I had should have taught me I didn't need it, but the Bearcat was stainless and I folded. :ugh:
    7. I will give it another chance, but after having a serious talk with my lovely last night, I really am motivated to "trim."
    Notice I didn't say, "cut-back," I'm sure you appreciate the difference (hopefully she won't). :laugh:

Top Bottom