• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Another legal ramification to think of; Aren't drones now considered federally registered aircraft? Would there be a penalty of you taking it down?

I am all for taking down a drone you believe to be harassing and violating your privacy, but legally speaking can it be done? Legally speaking, do you own the water or the air over your property?

Just a thought... sorry to be a killjoy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    At some point, it looks like overhead concealment (including view from angles that are not directly overhead) is going to make for good neighbors.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That's part of the problem... what is defined as private property in regards to the the airspace?

I remember something about 300 feet.

But why does someone's drone need to be 100 feet in the air, above my property?
    Answer, it doesn't.
    Neither do commercial aircraft.
    Or private aircraft.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I remember something about 300 feet.

But why does someone's drone need to be 100 feet in the air, above my property?
    Answer, it doesn't.
    Neither do commercial aircraft.
    Or private aircraft.

I agree that they shouldn't. Airspace starts from the ground up, regardless if it is private property or not. Airplanes have to meet minimum separation from persons and property and that separateration distance depends on whether it is considered a congested area or non-congested. I don't know if drones have any similar rules. I think the FAA has guidance saying they shouldn't be flown higher than 400 feet.

That said, many towns now have ordinances on drones. It may be helpful to know those ordinances if there is a problem.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ap_381799136805.jpg

This.... dragging about 30' of 20# fishing line would work great.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What kind of drone is it?

Are you sure it's not one of those Amazon air delivery drones?

It could also be some commercial survey drone used by the city.

Police drone looking for a suspect in your neighborhood?

Kid's toy?

You might want to find out who's the owner before you think about destroying someone else's property.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well, if it is "licensed", then maybe you know enough to keep it off private property.

Unfortunately, most dronoids seem to feel they can do what they want because there are few laws governing their behavior and what there are are difficult to prove/enforce. Been a while since I visited this issue, but first and foremost get your neighborhood association to ban or regulate unwanted overflight of private property and operating a drone within the confines.

Then, IIRC the video links are primarily on two channels and are easiest to jam, which obviates the pilot's jollys and privacy concerns. With a little extra work you can jam the control link and most will initiate autoland (baseball bat) or auto homing (follow homing drone to perps base location videoing all the way and get identification photos and license plates for any complaints).

You get the HA on board in case its a neighbor doing the deed. I guarantee you the people appalled by spying will vastly outnumber the true believers. If you live in the great wide open, jam the video links first. Then "If there are no pictures, it didn't happen" prevails

Top Bottom