• ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Hey everyone! I've got a coworker who is interested in buying his first handgun. He is on a budget though and would like to spend under 400 dollars and doesn't care if it is new or used. I know that most of you recommend a .22 to learn the basic fundamentals, but I am planning on personally training him and have access to plenty of small caliber guns for him to train with. I'm leaning towards a .380 but don't limit your sick gestions based on caliber. any and all recommendations in the above mentioned price range will be greatly appreciated. and don't worry, I'll be getting him on these forums soon! :)

*EDIT* - He intends on carrying this gun and using it for home protection.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The Bersa Thunder and Ruger P9x series are very good firearms in the $300+ range. If he can stretch up to $500, that opens up a lot of quality options. Whatever list you come up with, he should handle (and if possible fire) before buying.

You should also get more details on how he intends to use it. CC, home defense, hunting, target shooting, etc has an effect on selecting the best options.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    We sell our XD's brand new for $469. That being said I have some nice used ones in 9mm coming available in the $399 range. Includes box and all original stuff. Four inch, 2 mags, original box, etc. Let me know if I can help. We may even include a lifetime warranty!

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    In .380, look for a Ruger LCP in the sub $300 range. They're super easy to CC.

However, a nice used Glock Beretta, XD or M&P will be easier, and IMO more fun, to shoot. Maybe look for a Glock 19 or 26, or something comparable from another brand.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    In making a recommendation to a first time gun buyer I think safety is the first consideration, as it always should be. I personally think that a gun with no safeties is an "advanced user" handgun and not for a novice. Just my :twocents:.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    To stay in that price range with a reliable pistol, I have to mention the Ruger P95. Great shooting full size 9mm that is also inexpensive.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    have him go with a 9mm to start. .380 is a good caliber but much harder to find and even more expensive than 9mm to plink with.

For his budget he can get into a Ruger SR9 or SR9C new or even break into the used Glock/M&P area. Have him understand that there are inexpensive guns and then there are cheap guns and for him to know the difference.

Until he gets his feet wet I'd actually steer him away from the world of CZ or SIG or some of the other guns like that. They are fantastic, top-tier weapons but sometimes extra mags or holsters can be a pain to find locally for some of those and that is frustrating for a new shooter. Once he finds out he loves shooting then turn him on to those other brands.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    In making a recommendation to a first time gun buyer I think safety is the first consideration, as it always should be. I personally think that a gun with no safeties is an "advanced user" handgun and not for a novice. Just my :twocents:.

Interesting point of view. Recent experience in teaching an inexperienced shooter has my 2 cents falling the other way. Of course, it could be that I'm not a good teacher.:):

The gun was the Bersa Thunder .380. When you've got the DA/SA, external safety and decocker, magazine disconnect, the new shooter has a lot to absorb. With a pistol like a Glock, it's simplified. Don't put your finger here (trigger) unless you are on target. When you are on target, press here (trigger), and it will go boom.

Simplified is safer, in my mind. Just a different way to look at it.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I have most types and brands of handguns and for cheap prices, I like my Taurus 24/7. The basic model can usually be found around $325. I have one in .40 that I keep in my desk drawer. I keep it there because it goes bang every time you pull the trigger. As long as expense for ammo is not a concern, it makes a nice cheap handgun.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    have him go with a 9mm to start. .380 is a good caliber but much harder to find and even more expensive than 9mm to plink with.

For his budget he can get into a Ruger SR9 or SR9C new or even break into the used Glock/M&P area. Have him understand that there are inexpensive guns and then there are cheap guns and for him to know the difference.

Until he gets his feet wet I'd actually steer him away from the world of CZ or SIG or some of the other guns like that. They are fantastic, top-tier weapons but sometimes extra mags or holsters can be a pain to find locally for some of those and that is frustrating for a new shooter. Once he finds out he loves shooting then turn him on to those other brands.

I agree with that, why buy a gun on a budget if it's to buy expensive ammo later? :dunno:

9mm is the way to go.

Jolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Muncie
    In my opinion, a used 9mm Glock should be the way to go. The ammo is inexpensive compared to other calibers, the mags are cheap and easy to find, the gun has many safeties (yes, Glock do have many safeties!!), and to dissasemble it and put it back together should be a breeze even for the inexperienced user. Many extras are widely available. On top of it all, the prize of a used 9mm Glock could be quite low, if you take into acount its sheer quality and reliability, and its resale price. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Hey everyone! I've got a coworker who is interested in buying his first handgun. He is on a budget though and would like to spend under 400 dollars and doesn't care if it is new or used. I know that most of you recommend a .22 to learn the basic fundamentals, but I am planning on personally training him and have access to plenty of small caliber guns for him to train with. I'm leaning towards a .380 but don't limit your sick gestions based on caliber. any and all recommendations in the above mentioned price range will be greatly appreciated. and don't worry, I'll be getting him on these forums soon! :)

My opinion, a Keltec PF9. This is a great starter gun that you can find for $250 or so. I have one and it is very reliable.

My personal favorite is the XDM 9mm, but that is a whole nother story and a much higher price.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

First time gun owner...a wheel gun might be a better bet. Easier to care for, simpler to use. Fewer AD's. JMO

Top Bottom