• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I guess I will go ahead and throw the s&w SD series in the discussion also. They can be found new under $400 have a lifetime warranty and appear to be reliable.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Several KelTecs (lifetime warranty), Rugers (unspoken lifetime), and I think the DB380 or DB9 are in that price range. Isn't the Sig P250 around 400? For a $400 budget, you should be able to find plenty. I'd see if he can find a firearm for around 300 and then use the extra 100 for a holster & extra mags.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I will also recommend not buying a .380 for the reasons others have stated. And that's before we even get into the terminal ballistics aspect of it.
    Those are some good deals that IndyGunSafety has. If it were me I'd be thinking about that pretty hard.
    There's lot's of good used handguns out there.
    Don't overlook a decent Ruger revolver. Or any good quality revolver for that matter if the price is right. They just keep on ticking, and as others have said they are very simple.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I agree a 9mm is definitely the way to go, plinking ammo is cheap, and there are good SD 9mm loads out there.

How large of a man is he? if he is smallish, the polymer framed guns may present an issue with recoil/muzzle snap....

Having said that, if he can stretch just a little more $ I'd go with an XDm 9mm... of course I'm biased as that's the one I'm going for! :):

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I started with the p95 and have been loving it. The p95 at $300 is super reliable and easy to shoot but a bit too big to cc. My next one (very soon) is going to be the kahr cm9 for edc. I do like the the 9mm over the .380, just my $.02.

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    A "J" frame Smith & Wesson might be a good choice for your friend. I see new ones on sale in your price range and they're easily concealable, simple to learn, very dependable, and a .38spl packs a pretty decent punch.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In my oppinion, a used 9mm Glock should be the way to go. The ammo is inexpensive compared to other calibers, the mags are cheap and easy to find, the gun has many safeties (yes, Glock do have many safeties!!), and to dissasemble it and put it back together should be a breeze even for the inexperienced user. Many extras are widely available. On top of it all, the prize of a used 9mm Glock could be quite low, if you take into acount its sheer quality and reliability, and its resale price. :rockwoot:

This, im looking for a cheap 9mm and after looking at a few models I found out that if I wanted quality and a low price I pretty much have to go with a used gun.
    Glock 26, 19 or 19.Are so really good options if you can find a good deal.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    A "J" frame Smith & Wesson might be a good choice for your friend. I see new ones on sale in your price range and they're easily concealable, simple to learn, very dependable, and a .38spl packs a pretty decent punch.

Or K Frame if he is more comfortable with it. That being said.. I strongly recommend a revolver. My first handgun was a revolver in and it helps nail the basics. First handgun I ever shot was a .357Mag. It was a hunting duty revolver and I was learning to use it as such. OP, you also said that you have plenty of smaller calibers for him to get used to and play with. That's good. The more he can get his hands on the better.

On a temporary side note :D.. I have a CZ 75B .40 for sale on ArmsList and the classifieds with all kinds of goodies.... Including OWB and several mags, and could probably scrounge up a little bit of ammo to boot... Just saying..

Seriously... about that CZ though... I will cut him a good deal. You're straight west of me on 36, we can meet up and he can grope a little and see how he likes it if interested....:laugh::laugh:

My first handguns I ever got, were a .357 snubbie, and the same day that I bought it, I was gifted a K-22 from my dad for practice and technique. The first pistol was my sig .40cal and after having it as a my go to for almost a year before acquiring others, I have had no issues ever feeling uncomfortable shooting anything else. I would shy away from the .380, simply because of availability and price. Any caliber, even .45 are all do able with proper instruction and what it comes down to what he wants and feels comfortable holding, if he's not comfortable holding it, he won't be comfortable shooting it! That is way more important the amount of boom that is going to come from it. Yes, 9mm are cheaper to feed, and it's readily available, but I would rather pitch in a couple bucks on the ammo, and have someone learn to shoot a .45 that they are comfortable holding, than a 9mm that they can buy their own ammo for, and don't like the way it fits their hand. Simply because of the potential safety hazards, and they will be less accurate and therefore, it will be less fun. Caliber, and the perceived "bigger it gets, harder it is to shoot" mindset is a fallacy, in my opinion. It all comes down to what the individual likes, dislikes, and can physically themselves manage. My little sister was 5"4'maybe 110lbs, and first learned on a .357 when she was in highschool. That was my dads brilliant idea, because that's how I learned so she should be able to do it too.:dunno: She can still get better groups than I can with that .357.

Also, OP, if you have never taught anyone, be prepared to learn some things.

Tip, watch his body more than his shots. Make sure he doesn't flinch, that's usually the hardest thing to overcome, was for me at least.:ingo:

Last edited:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Lot of good suggestions so far. I will throw the Ruger SR9 or SR9c in to the mix, depending on the size frame he is looking for. I would have him out at a bunch of stores trying out the feel of a bunch of guns to see what size frame he is comfortable with. Also what is he going to feel comfortable carrying? Is he wanting some thing to conceal? Or will he be alright carrying a full size where there is a chance he could print more?

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Thanks for all the recommendations!

To all of you recommending guns that have cheap ammo, that's not really an issue. I should have clarified. He's on a budget because his wife is somewhat anti gun and will hold the price tag over his head as a reason to not get one. Once the gun itself is purchased, it doesn't matter if it shoots the most expensive ammo out there. ;)

Before he buys anything i'm planning on taking him to my local range to try out all my guns and rent some as well to see what fits him the best.

Also, OP, if you have never taught anyone, be prepared to learn some things.

Tip, watch his body more than his shots. Make sure he doesn't flinch, that's usually the hardest thing to overcome, was for me at least.:ingo:

By no means am i an expert trainer, but i feel i can give him the basic rundown of shooting and safety. He isn't necessarily new to guns, but this will be the first one he's ever purchased. I'm also going to recommend him to take some training classes with a real professional.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Once the gun itself is purchased, it doesn't matter if it shoots the most expensive ammo out there. ;)
    Non issue when I said 9mm.

A novice is more likely to do well with 9mm over .45. That has been true for 100 years. 9mm packs a lot more punch then .380. It is about killing, not ammo cost. Make hits and make them with bullets that kill.

In the past few years with the advent of even smaller 9mm guns, .380 offers no real advantage. If he wants a pocket gun for his summer shorts, he can make that decision on his own and even then he would likely get a 9mm except for the fact there are inexpensive .380's like the Keltec which make good throw away guns.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    The Ruger SR9C is a good choice and does have a thumb safety. You might also consider a 4 inch revolver in .357 but start him out using .38 ammo until he get comfortable then move to the .357.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I can't believe someone hasn't recommended the Sig Pro 2022 9mm.

2208.jpg

Palmetto State Armory has them for $349. This is an amazing firearm and shoots terrific. It continues to be the best value of anything out there IMO...

Sig SAUER SP2022 Pro 9mm

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    My coworker has decided that he would like a semi auto. He's not a big fan of revolvers. Also, I don't know if I am an exception, But the first gun I ever bought was a .45 And I've never had any problems handeling it. In fact, it is actually my most accurate gun.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I vote for used Glocks or Berettas like previously stated; plenty of them around and both are great, reliable, accurate guns.

Top Bottom