• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casper975

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Can some one please tell me where I can find a used Glock 9mm for $400 or less the cheapest I can find them is $425 and if its going to be he's first gun he might want to stick with a new one

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    I can't believe someone hasn't recommended the Sig Pro 2022 9mm.

2208.jpg

Palmetto State Armory has them for $349. This is an amazing firearm and shoots terrific. It continues to be the best value of anything out there IMO...

Sig SAUER SP2022 Pro 9mm

This. :rockwoot:

I thought my PF-9 was a good value until I got my Sig Pro. It is, in my opinion, the absolute best value for <$400.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I recently went through all this with a friend. Here's how I did it:

First, have a thorough sit-down, and fully explain the different types of operating systems for pistols. Open hammer, closed hammer, single action, double action, external safety, internal safety, polymer, metal, auto, revolver, etc...

Second, let him shoot yours, and try to (if your collection allows) let him shoot one of each. Make sure to explain to him each type as he tries it, and emphasize the differences.

Third, find out what styles he prefers. My friend finally decided he wanted single action, closed hammer, 9mm, polymer, with an external safety.

Fourth, do a quick internet search, and get him a list of the guns within his price range that match his requirements. If you have been specific enough with the testing, your search should be fairly simple.

Fifth, take him to a gun show and let him handle all the pistols on his list. Emphasize the differences, but don't try to sway him one way or the other based on your own preferences. Allow him to make the decision.

My buddy ended up with a Ruger SR9, and he loves it. It's not what I would have chosen, but my preferences don't really matter. And, as a bonus, he learned a considerable bit about firearms in the process. :yesway:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To all of you recommending guns that have cheap ammo, that's not really an issue. I should have clarified. He's on a budget because his wife is somewhat anti gun and will hold the price tag over his head as a reason to not get one. Once the gun itself is purchased, it doesn't matter if it shoots the most expensive ammo out there. ;)

Thats hard to understand... Unless he has won the powerball, cheaper ammo always means he will be able to shoot more... :D Also, not only is cost a factor, availability at times can be a huge PITA for some calibers...

By no means am i an expert trainer, but i feel i can give him the basic rundown of shooting and safety. He isn't necessarily new to guns, but this will be the first one he's ever purchased. I'm also going to recommend him to take some training classes with a real professional.

Just remember what they say about first impressions... get him started right ! I remember well close to 30 years ago in boot camp when the DI's told us the better shooters will be ones who had never shot before... With a very few exceptions, they were right... I think this also could be applied to safety... Get him started right so no one else has bad habits to break... Good luck with your friend !

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    9mm is a good pistol caliber to start with ,You can find a used Glock ,Smith & Wesson(2nd or 3rd gen) possibly an XD for around the 400$ mark but I always see Ruger P series for around 300 even though it doubles as a wheel chock it is robust & reliable.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Starting with a .380 has its merits, but ammo cost and availability will be the biggest drawback. Couple this with the fact that most .380 caliber pistols are fairly small/light, shootability will be similar or more difficult than many of the 9mm choices that fit in the price range specified. My wifes first handgun was a PK380, and while it was a mild shooting pistol, if it werent for the fact that I reload, she would not have been able to shoot it nearly enough to become proficient in its use.
    Starting with a handgun that is chambered in an easy to find, affordable round will make it easier to shoot it more. 9mm is probably the best in this category, being very common, less expensive than most other handgun calibers, and it is considered a suitable caliber for self defense.

OneManWolfpack

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    South Bend / Mishawaka
    I can't believe someone hasn't recommended the Sig Pro 2022 9mm.

2208.jpg

Palmetto State Armory has them for $349. This is an amazing firearm and shoots terrific. It continues to be the best value of anything out there IMO...

Sig SAUER SP2022 Pro 9mm

+1...Excellent first pistol. Hell, just an excellent pistol regardless if it's a 'first' or not.

chadc11

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Venice, FL
    My first gun was the Sig SP2022. It is a really nice pistol. Great trigger. At around $400 new, it's hard to beat for the money IMHO. Unless he wants to be able to go compact, I would get the 2022 over the P250 every time because of the trigger.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Bersa 9mms are great guns that sell for less than $400 new. They are completely ambidexterous and are as reliable as the day is long. They are also one of the easiest guns to disassemble for cleaning. The Bersa 9UC holds 13+1 and the 9HC carries 17+1. They also have a manual safety and decocker, which is a plus for new users.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Starting with a .380 has its merits, but ammo cost and availability will be the biggest drawback. Couple this with the fact that most .380 caliber pistols are fairly small/light, shootability will be similar or more difficult than many of the 9mm choices that fit in the price range specified. My wifes first handgun was a PK380, and while it was a mild shooting pistol, if it werent for the fact that I reload, she would not have been able to shoot it nearly enough to become proficient in its use.
    Starting with a handgun that is chambered in an easy to find, affordable round will make it easier to shoot it more. 9mm is probably the best in this category, being very common, less expensive than most other handgun calibers, and it is considered a suitable caliber for self defense.

That's an excellent point that should be explained to more new shooters. The key to competency in firearms is regular practice and training. A first time shooter needs a gun that they can afford to shoot. Right now, 9mm is about a cheap as you can get in terms of ammunition, while still being a good defense round.

mpluers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    I'd vote used 9mm Glock. My first was a Glock, and I think that there's something to be said for simplicity. There's no decocker, no traditional safety, etc... so the manual of arms is about as simple as can be. Pulling the trigger does one thing, not pulling the trigger does the opposite. And the odds that it'll have a problem are basically zero, which I also think is hugely important from a safety perspective for a first gun.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    PT 24/7 Pro. available in 9mm, 40, or 45.

Ive dumped several thousand rounds through mine, only signs of wear are on the grip. Over 99% were reloads. One round of all of them I had to squeeze twice. I have had 2 FTE's.

This gun will go bang every time you need it to. And does so accurately.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    In making a recommendation to a first time gun buyer I think safety is the first consideration, as it always should be. I personally think that a gun with no safeties is an "advanced user" handgun and not for a novice. Just my :twocents:.

With this way of thinking, all revolvers are eliminated. I tend to think that the best safety is the one between your ears. Now back to the original question. I would suggest a revolver in 38 special +P. Plenty of power for self defense and fairly cheap to shoot. A decent revolver can be had on a budget.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    imo, get a glock, theyre good for the money..but my first gun was an hk .45 and ive never regretted spending the money...it raised the bar for me and i wont accept sub par guns...i think mine was a great choice, but a glock is a good gun too

Bigjon07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Yup - a used Beretta or Glock in 9mm can be had for $400 or less

My first handgun was a beretta 9000s 40. I love that pistol and that round. It is very easy to shoot and its compact. Has a decocking lever integreted with the saftey. My hands are big but it just feels so right.

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    The PK380 is light and easy to shoot. After firing one at the range my wife drove straight out to get one. You can get a NIB for about what aking price for used is these days. And let's face it, it's a starter-how many people say spend the extra for a -fill in the blank. Did they stop after their first handgun? Don't think so. Your friend will more than likely aquire quite a few different makes and calibers like the rest of us.

Top Bottom