• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    The Mak is sometimes an overlooked choice in a CC handgun. I carry mine, a Bulgarian version once in a while in a Fobus paddle holster. I like it a lot. Pretty accurate, and robust. The fixed barrel adds to the accuracy. Can be a bit snappy, because it's a blowback.

I use the Russian ammo, I have some Barnaul and some Barnaul made Bear ammo.

The 9x18 will work just fine in a social situation.

I'm partial to Hakan Pek's grips, he made some first-class grip panels for my CZ75B. Look at his stuff on his site, he's from Norway.

What a great choice you made. Well done!

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    glad you made the decision, if i were a woman with the way things are i would be packing more heat than neo in the matrix. www.americanrifleman.org, in The Armed Citizen they run stories about average people in self defense situations. hope it helps but maybe you should try the same approach that got you interested in guns or teach them about guns..people tend to fear things less the more they know about them

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    thread_resurrection.jpg

That being said, perhaps RachelMarie would like to write an update.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Great to see more women getting into guns and shooting. Congrats on the new purchase. Maybe you can invite your mom and sister to go shooting with you sometime. Thinking about getting another group outting at Roush Lake Shooting Range in Huntington together in July. Seeing other women shooters may help convince them it isn't just for us guys. My wife(Gunslinger77) shoots and has her LTCH. She works for the Sheriffs dept. and would be willing to teach what she knows of pressure points and close combat techniques that she has been taught.

Again, congrats on the new gun. I can imagine it was a difficult road, but you should be commended for holding your ground for what you believed. Stay Strong! :yesway:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Again....thanks for all the encouragement!

A quick Update.... :)

My Mother is now pro 2nd amendment and is rather excited about me owning firearms. I have yet to get her out there to shoot but I do hope her health continues improving enough this year for her to do so. She stated that she doesn't want to go to watch me until she is able to shoot as well.
    My sister, I'm sure she still thinks I'm nuts. I'm okay with that. She doesn't get why I carry. She's asked numerous times why I chose to do so, and when I answer her...she seems to still not get it. She's a lost cause and I'm okay with that. I'm not going to bust my butt trying to get someone such as herself to understand. I've tried, I've done my part.
    I've done some training from one of our own, this last year. Learned a lot. I have some "things" set up for this summer as well. Looking forward to it.
    The Mak is gone now. Had a few feed problems with it and ran across a great deal on a Springfield 1911-A1. Though I am now considering selling that and getting my self a glock 19 or something similar (flame-on). I carry a Bersa Thunder .380. I have also recently purchased a Saiga 7.62x39.
    Along with training and trying to get my family and friends to understand my reasoning for carrying, I am also researching reloading. I've got my press and some odds and ends but still saving for the last few things I need before I can officially call myself a "reloader".
    Once I get to reloading myself, I'll be able to shoot a bit more often. So that's my goal, right now. And as always...Practice, Practice, Practice.
    Seems like I started carrying in time too. I moved back to my hometown to care for my Mother 7 months ago and this town is crawling with Meth users. I feel safe(r) knowing I have the stopping power and the knowledge I need to use it if needed. If my Mothers health continues to improve I would like to get her into some training as well. I'd love to purchase her her own firearm one of these days.

I haven't gotten out this week at all to shoot. I'm on my day 4 of no smoking and call me crazy, but for some reason, smoking goes great with shooting so I have gotta give myself some time. Though, I'm pretty sure I kicked it. Woot.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Good job on quiting smoking rach, Ive been done with that habit for 20 years ( as well as no alcohol) & as a added benefit you will look younger as well as feel better , I just turned 44 & am often mistaken as being my wifes son ( smoking has been linked to causing premature aging). It will get better just try not to get stressed or get lulled into thinking that your stressed as well.Congrats as well on the new rifle as well & getting more people involved in shooting

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hey !!! Congrats on quit smoking... That is $4.00-5.00 for all that reloading stuff..... Glad to hear you are one of us now, (carrying)...
    Hope all is well with your mon, prayers sent...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Glad to hear about your mom. Must be a testament to your ability to convey just how important it is to you !

Congrats on the smoking. Never smoked myself, but wish I could quit this chewing. After 25 + years, I struggle going just a few hours without. LOL

A G19 would be a great choice.

If I remember right, you have a Rock Chucker... Just what are the few things you are missing yet ? Might post it... You never know... Someone might have something and is tired of always tripping over it. LOL For some reason, we thought you were up and already running. Heck, recently we just got rid of a few things we weren't using anymore, including some dies and powder measures.

WBE3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Congratulations on giving up the smokes. Remember, you are giving your daughter the gift life without the smell of smoke in her life. She, and your family, will love you even more for the sacrifice you make for their (and your) health. Good Luck and keep it up.

technobear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    ill admit i havent read through everyones responses.. but..

at the end of the day YOU are responsible for your own personal safety. I doubt that you have a body guard. If it will make you more comfortable to get into firearms. and youre doing it responsible. its your decision and your right.

Make responsible, educated decisions and your family will decide for themselves whether they can live with it or not.

just my opinion.. if it makes sense

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Let me know what you want for the 1911 :D
    Once I get that far, I will! :D I just started thinking about it, haven't started looking around yet. I'll shoot ya a pm when I get there! :)

Glad to hear about your mom. Must be a testament to your ability to convey just how important it is to you !

Congrats on the smoking. Never smoked myself, but wish I could quit this chewing. After 25 + years, I struggle going just a few hours without. LOL

A G19 would be a great choice.

If I remember right, you have a Rock Chucker... Just what are the few things you are missing yet ? Might post it... You never know... Someone might have something and is tired of always tripping over it. LOL For some reason, we thought you were up and already running. Heck, recently we just got rid of a few things we weren't using anymore, including some dies and powder measures.
    Well, Ironically, I still need dies, and powder measures. lol. and I'm holding out for a tumbler as well. Things have just been hectic around here. I need to get things set up here shortly. I've just been outside constantly. Gardening, gardening, gardening! I should be set up, come Fall.

Hopefully, the lack of smoking will free up some time as well...and give me a bit of motivation.

ill admit i havent read through everyones responses.. but..

at the end of the day YOU are responsible for your own personal safety. I doubt that you have a body guard. If it will make you more comfortable to get into firearms. and youre doing it responsible. its your decision and your right.

Make responsible, educated decisions and your family will decide for themselves whether they can live with it or not.

just my opinion.. if it makes sense
    :yesway:

Thanks for all the encouragement on being a "Quitter". Gotta say, this is the 3rd or 4th try and for some odd reason, this time wasn't as hard for me. The inside of my mouth is tore up from fire balls. I used them for ONE day (ate probable 15 ish?) and lets just say I'm paying for it. But the craving are far and few between and I'm doin' alright! :yesway: Hakuna Matata

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    Good to about your mom doing better, and good to hear about the smoking. I keep telling Tracy she needs to try to quit. You can do it, I've been smoke free for 8 years now. you'll start feeling better and better.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    (I didn't know where to put this, so if it's needed...feel free to move this)

Yesterday was the first time in YEARS handling and shooting a gun(THANK YOU....you know who you are). As some of you know, I'm new to the *gun* scene. I've been researching now for a few months.

To get to the point, my family isn't exactly happy (by family I mean Mother and Sister). I'm hearing a lot of negativity about the possibilty of me purchasing a gun for self defense. What I hear most is, "you are more likely to be shot by your own gun". I'm really getting fed up.
    I'm not sure how to handle this. I feel very strongly about purchasing (and carrying) and I dont want to hear the crap lines they are feeeding me.

I'm not sure the reasoning behind their comments. Maybe it's because I am the baby of the family, and at 25 they refuse to think I am grown up. Or if it is because I went through a rough adolecent time. I wasn't the best behaved teenager and was in and out of trouble until I met my husband. I've had my life on track for almost 9 years now, so if that's the issue...it's old news.

What am I supposed to do here? I want my family to be okay with it. But at the same time, if they are not.....I'm still going to do this. Not for any reason other than protecting my child. I just dont get it. I want them to be as happy as I am...even my husband (who is a bit more excited for me). I seriously counldn't stop smiling yesterday after leaving the range. I finally felt that *I CAN DO THIS*....(I had a good teacher who was patient and willing to let me learn from him.)

Does anyone have advice for helping me through this situation? I just want them to believe in me. I want my daughter to be protected...hell I want to protect my husband....But I also think it is just one hell of a hobby.

I'm looking for facts/statistics. I want to print out some info to give to both my mother and sister. Info that will help them understnad why exactly I want a gun. My family tends to think that guns are for men. My mother has said to me "Why in the world would you want a gun...you're a woman"...which just makes me want one MORE, to prove to my family that it isn't a mans sport anymore

:dunno:

TIA to all that offer up some help. I'm irritated....

Why ask them and put your self through it? You said it, you are 25 years old and don't agree with their opinion on the topic. I just wouldn't bring it up unless you need to convince yourself of it.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Why ask them and put your self through it? You said it, you are 25 years old and don't agree with their opinion on the topic. I just wouldn't bring it up unless you need to convince yourself of it.

A little late...but I agree with you 100%! :D This thread is over a year old, if ya haven't noticed. :ingo:

(I'm 27 now. Time does fly!!)

BTW...Day **6** no smoking. :) I got this! Finally on my way.....

Top Bottom