• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    ugh...Haven't gotten one quite yet. Still shooting, still studying. I know that sounds dumb. But I really want something that I *KNOW* I like. I'm leaning towards 2 specific's but have yet to make up my mind. I gave myself I time limit though and I am giving myself until the end of July to make the final decision! I think I am putting too much thought into it.
    Hours got cut at work, so now money is a bit more of a factor now too. But I'm still going to do it by the end of the month. I just need to quit being a woman and make up my mind already! I also need to find time to go out to 21st Century. I need to get on the ball.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    ugh...Haven't gotten one quite yet. Still shooting, still studying. I know that sounds dumb. But I really want something that I *KNOW* I like. I'm leaning towards 2 specific's but have yet to make up my mind. I gave myself I time limit though and I am giving myself until the end of July to make the final decision! I think I am putting too much thought into it.
    Hours got cut at work, so now money is a bit more of a factor now too. But I'm still going to do it by the end of the month. I just need to quit being a woman and make up my mind already! I also need to find time to go out to 21st Century. I need to get on the ball.

Not dumb at all! It has to be the right gun for YOU.

So what are you shooting and/or leaning toward?

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Oh...and FYI. My family is still not happy about it, but they know I'm still going to do it. It makes them feel better to see me going out shooting and researching my options! They haven't said much at all recently!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It's between Bersa and a Glock 17. I'm leaning more towards Bersa....but I really enjoy a glock as well. I want both, I just need to decide which I want...FIRST! ")

This is the one I feel really comfortable with!

BersaPistols.com: Bersa Thunder High Capacity Pistol, Semi-Automatic, Sin

Have you considered the compact versions of those two choices? The Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact, or the Glock 19? They will both be easier to conceal than their larger counterparts.

Just my :twocents:

Too bad the new Polymer Framed Bersa wont be out by July, it's a beaut!

picture.php

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    If you want to,targetmaster shooting range (coliseum blvd.) offers some sort of classes that helps you decide on what type of firearm that is right for you I think its on saturday ,I have been considering taking a refresher course on draw or no draw situation

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Explain to your family that a firearm is just a chunk of metal or plastic and they are neither safe nor unsafe by themselves. The person that handles the firearm either makes it safe or unsafe by his or her actions.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    About a year ago, I was in the same place you are now. Most of my family was horrified. "A GUN??? Are you having a mid life crisis?????" :draw:

All the statistics in the world would have fallen on deaf ears.
    Fast forward to a year later, and they are pretty much supporting my decision and, have accepted it. Here's how I got there..not by stats, but by education. MINE, not theirs.
    I took an NRA Basic class and would talk about the safety lessons, and how my instructor HAMMERED those things home. He was great!!! I also brought up to my family that during my class, there were as many women as men in the class!! :):
    Also, in general conversation, I would bring up the web sites I would be on to learn about gun safety. Bottom line, any time they would bring up their fears, I would counter with gun safety information - a lot of it I have learned from the good people on this site :ingo:.
    So hang in there. You can try the stat stuff, but from personal experience, time heals the fears. Especially if you feel strongly about your passion for this sport. Good luck.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Rachel ,
    The best advice I could give you or anyone in this situation , trying to turn someone into beliving in you having a gun , is to take them to the range after you buy your gun .

You have obviously been approching things the right way learning and studying , matbe you should even take a saftey course ?

After you get your gun take Mom and Sis out to the range , show them how serious you are , teach them some of what you have learned about the saftey of owning a gun , and best of all teach them to shoot your gun , Maybe just maybe you will turn one or bothe into a new shooting buddy .

My wife HATED guns she seen some of my collection when we started dating , she wouldnt even look at one , she had a good personal reason for hating them ( different long story )

After we got serious with each other she seen how i was about my guns and she excepted it .

Seeing how excited i was when i got my AR-15 and seeing my Inner child when i was going to the range to shoot it , she decided to go with me even though she didn;t really like guns .

After shooting it for the first time seeing how much i enjoyed it , she decided it to give the AR a try .

Now some 10 years later she has a pretty nice collection of her own guns .

She CC everywhere she goes just as i do , she will aslo try to shoot any gun made and loves doing it .

She has even shot a friend of mines .50 BMG rifle .

Good luck
    I think your hubby is a luck man You are awsome the way you are approaching this

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    R.

If money is an issue ask Dave to show the Makarov's or CZ-82's I forget which one. They are really inexpensive and reliable.

Your kinda thin for the G-17 to ccw unless you have a baggy top on, but as you know its a great gun.

You ever get a shotty?

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    R.

If money is an issue ask Dave to show the Makarov's or CZ-82's I forget which one. They are really inexpensive and reliable.

Your kinda thin for the G-17 to ccw unless you have a baggy top on, but as you know its a great gun.

You ever get a shotty?

I will. Thank you, Jeff.
    I know I'm thin for that gun....but dang it....I like it! :D

I've almost gotten a shotty! lol! My Uncle is deciding weather or not to sell it to me. I think I'd get it quicker if I just went out and bought one.

I'm thinking about going out to Dave's tomorrow evening. Pretty excited about it.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Rachel ,
    The best advice I could give you or anyone in this situation , trying to turn someone into beliving in you having a gun , is to take them to the range after you buy your gun .

After you get your gun take Mom and Sis out to the range , show them how serious you are , teach them some of what you have learned about the saftey of owning a gun , and best of all teach them to shoot your gun , Maybe just maybe you will turn one or bothe into a new shooting buddy .

This was going to be my advice. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned until page 12. Take them to the range once you have practiced several times with your husband and feel comfortable yourself. Then show them how fun it is and how responsible you are. You may make a believer out of them yet.

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    Thank you RachelMarie for sharing your experience. The subsequent post with the link to Gun Facts led me to very interesting discussion with my wife on gun control and 2nd Amendment.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Warning! No brainer 1-line comment below. Please dont read if your going to whine.

You go girl!....lol We got your back!

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    It's official. I am a gun owner! :D

Went to see Dave at 21st Century Firearms. Awesome store....awesome people. Walked out with a Model 59 Makarov in it's original box. Also picked up a safe, cleaning kit and some ammo. Now, I'm waiting for my ccw to get here so I can shoot this bad boy! I'm uber excited. Came home, took the gun apart, cleaned it (and played with it). I couldn't be happier!

Props to the guys out in Bluffton at 21st Century Firearms! Awesome group of guys. I think Dave was just as excited as I was/am! :rockwoot:I will for sure be going back to this shop. Can't wait!

pictures coming soon!

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson

Went to see Dave at 21st Century Firearms. Awesome store....awesome people. Walked out with a Model 59 Makarov in it's original box. Also picked up a safe, cleaning kit and some ammo. Now, I'm waiting for my ccw to get here so I can shoot this bad boy! I'm uber excited. Came home, took the gun apart, cleaned it (and played with it). I couldn't be happier!

Props to the guys out in Bluffton at 21st Century Firearms! Awesome group of guys. I think Dave was just as excited as I was/am! :rockwoot:I will for sure be going back to this shop. Can't wait!

pictures coming soon!

Congrats on your new gun. Going to Dave's shop is all ways fun.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger

pictures coming soon!

Congrats!! We'll be awaiting the picks! I enjoyed my Makarov when I had it ( should of never sold it). Here is a good link with some decent info on Makarov's. Makarov.com - FAQL

Top Bottom