• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charless917

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North East Indy
    I have a bunch of chipmunks that are doing damage to flower beds and causing problems. One chewed a hole in my nice outdoor cushions. I want to kill them and thought about getting an pellet gun to get rid of them. Im not to worried about it but what trouble could there be from a legal standpoint if in the Indianapolis city limits? I doubt anyone would ever see me shooting them to get me in trouble but If someone did call and the cops did show up what issues could I be faced with. Some say that you can get into as much trouble with an air gun as with any gun?

Also what should I get?

I know there are other ways to get rid of them but shooting them is my preferred option for various reasons.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The only discharge ordinance I can find:
    Sec. 451-3. - Discharge of weapons across public ways.
    It shall be unlawful to shoot across or upon any public street or place, or toward a public way from any private premises, any bullet, pellet, missile or object impelled from any gun, pistol or weapon operated by means of any explosive charge, or by springs, air pressure or other means, or impelled from a slingshot, or any other device having force directed by the user thereof.​
    Municode - Search

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have heard that a 5 gallon bucket of water with some sunflower seeds floating on top will take care of them. You just need to keep the water level low enough so they cannot climb out after they fall in. A coworker did this and took out 5 or so in one afternoon.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I prefer to put peanut butter on the rim in addition to the sunflower seeds. Seems to attract them better. As well, you can use olive oil on the inside of the bucket so they slide down to their deaths.

I have flagstone walls for the landscaping on the front yard (which is a hill) so I am rife with chipmunks. I don't use rat traps or shot because of the neighbors' children.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    In my municipality it's illegal to shoot a pellet gun within the city limits. But if a guy was stealthy about it and paid attention to his surroundings, he could probably shoot 39 of them during the course of a summer month with a cheap daisy 880 and some pellets without anyone being the wiser. I wouldn't do it, but I understand that it's possible.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Remember, if you are shooting chipmunks from inside your bedroom ensure that you clear the muzzle, then clear your sights or you will put a .177 hole in your window frame . . . a . . . um, er, friend told me about this.:n00b::laugh:

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I too live in Indy. I shoot squirrels off of my bird feeders in my back yard with a pellet gun. Never had any problems. I just try and be discreet about it, and of course I am safe about it. I have a back yard that is blocked on all sides so someone would have to come around back to see me.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    anyone ever taken out a raccoon with a pellet gun? im tired of walking out to my car and getting mean mugged by this thing while its dumpster diving.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    fatcat_dale.gif

This guy could help:laugh:

Depending on your age you may not laugh:D

Top Bottom