Al Unser Jr. Busted in Avon (OWI; Third Time)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    How often do three time OWI losers get to keep their driving privileges?:dunno:

The specific issue here is that he refused the chemical test when it was offered. Refusal results in a one or two-year DL suspension, and a person who refuses is not eligible for Specialized Driving Privileges (used to be called a "hardship license). It would have been two years in Little Al's case, because he has at least one prior conviction for OWI. By finding legally there was no refusal, stipulated with the prosecutor's assent, he is now eligible for the SDP.

From the Probable Cause Affidavit:

I asked Unser Jr. if he would participate in field sobriety testing. Unser Jr. refused to participate in any of the field sobriety tests. asked him if there was anything could do to convince him to participate in the tests to which he responded could not. With his refusal to participate in field sobriety testing and observing several indicators of possible impairment placed him in handcuffs and detained him. After detaining him informed him of implied consent and he stated he refused to submit to chemical test.
    After successfully applying for blood draw warrant on Unser Jr., transported him to Hendricks Regional Hospital.
    During my entire interaction with Unser Jr., he was consistently verbally hostile towards assisting officers and I.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Alcoholism is a very tragic addiction. How sad to see this happen to Al Unser, as it is to anyone who struggles with alcohol addiction.

I just lost my sister-in-law to this disease earlier this year. Devastating for my two nieces.

Hopefully Mr. Unser finds the help he needs to beat this before it kills him, or someone else.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    In my county it is super rare to have a refusal accepted. I don’t even mark them as such on the PC form anymore because the hearings have become a sham of the highest order. The one that changed my outlook to what it is now was a guy who was, like Al, verbally hostile the whole time. I read him implied consent and he responded with a comment about my mother and then said he’s not submitting to ****. I had two other officers standing there with me when i read this to him off the card in my pocket, saw him swear at me and refuse, then I repeated the question and all but begged him to take a test. He still said no. There was a hearing on the refusal. The prosecutor asked me if I read implied consent and how many times I asked him. Then they asked my other two officer witnesses who echoed my testimony. The defense asked the drunk if I read him implied consent and he said he didn’t remember that so I must not have. Judge tossed out the refusal.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    In my county it is super rare to have a refusal accepted. I don’t even mark them as such on the PC form anymore because the hearings have become a sham of the highest order. The one that changed my outlook to what it is now was a guy who was, like Al, verbally hostile the whole time. I read him implied consent and he responded with a comment about my mother and then said he’s not submitting to ****. I had two other officers standing there with me when i read this to him off the card in my pocket, saw him swear at me and refuse, then I repeated the question and all but begged him to take a test. He still said no. There was a hearing on the refusal. The prosecutor asked me if I read implied consent and how many times I asked him. Then they asked my other two officer witnesses who echoed my testimony. The defense asked the drunk if I read him implied consent and he said he didn’t remember that so I must not have. Judge tossed out the refusal.

Occurrences like this are yet another reason I'm glad I'm retired from LE. It is frustrating enough just to see it from where I am now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

And this is why we have no faith in our system. Not the boots on the ground but the "Clowns" in the robes.

Yeah I said it. "CLOWNS"

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    And this is why we have no faith in our system. Not the boots on the ground but the "Clowns" in the robes.

Yeah I said it. "CLOWNS"
    Yep. At least the ones who think they govern from the bench. The good ones realize their solemn duty and do it.

Im glad the judge didnt ask that guy if he remembered getting into the car drunk. If he said no the judge might have thrown out the whole damn case.
    Mickey mouse court

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Knowing the man, this is hard to watch. Some can’t be helped, I hope he can (WARNING, NSFW):

[video=youtube_share;TWTZUYmMgC0]http://youtu.be/TWTZUYmMgC0[/video]

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Wow. That’s rough. I don’t know his personal life just his professional life, but I hope he fixes the issue. His name means a lot to a lot of people, hate to see people go down that route.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Knowing the man, this is hard to watch. Some can’t be helped, I hope he can (WARNING, NSFW):

[video=youtube_share;TWTZUYmMgC0]http://youtu.be/TWTZUYmMgC0[/video]

Im confused. Did this happen again, or are you dragging this guy through the mud again just because you found the video almost a year later?

Honestly, I had TOTALLY forgotten about this. (assuming this is from the original incident)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom