Al Unser Jr. Busted in Avon (OWI; Third Time)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is is sad indeed, so much potential and talent. Alcoholism is a disease, but we all make choices.

I recalled that in the early 2000's he was arrested for battery on his girlfriend after drinking at the Classy Chassis. I don't remember how the case was resolved, and he has picked up at least two more OWI's since then.

It will be interesting to see what the BAC turns out to be. As noted above, this is going to be one expensive criminal defense for Mr. Unser.

Surprised I didn't run into him at the Classy Chassy. That's about the time (mid-life crisis :):) that I was hanging out there a lot (2002). I even had a VIP card - no cover for me and a guest any time! :rockwoot:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Jimmy Voyles will serve as to be no more than an expensive plea broker in this case. As a society we don't send drunk drivers to prison unless they kill someone, and even then it's barely any time at all.
    He should never drive again. I also think some court mandated jail time with alcohol abuse counseling is in order or whatever they would offer any other inmate.
    But if its like most other drunk drivers ive seen with money, he wont get crap and any felony for being a habitual offender will evenfualy be pled down to a mistermeaner or whatever you call it just in time for him to do it again and still keep his freedom and license. Maybe next time he will kill an innocent person?
    It makes me sick honestly.
    I love this guy as a driver. But no one can take away those accomplishments. But if he kills someone, i think any hope for legacy will be gone.
    He didn't accidentally do this. He needs to face the music.
    Dont know him as a person but only based on his repeat criminal history of alcoholism and driving he needs locked up away from being able to harm other people.
    I hope he overcomes his addiction and stupidity. But at this point its irresponsible and derelict for the justice system to trust him to be in charge of that.
    Pay your time first, then straighten your life out.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I've seen Al Jr. In the past few years, drove auto cross cars for my employer.
    Nice guy, but he has a problem with alcohol, no question.
    He was actually fighting it hard a couple years back, I guess he lost...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As much as I dislike drunk driving (or drunkenness in general) I have to ask how the argument for imprisoning a drunk driver who never harmed anyone is different from the argument the likes of the Brady Campaign make about us.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    As much as I dislike drunk driving (or drunkenness in general) I have to ask how the argument for imprisoning a drunk driver who never harmed anyone is different from the argument the likes of the Brady Campaign make about us.
    Well he is a habitual law breaker of a law that could have deadly consequences. Lets start there.
    Thats like saying illegal criminal aliens who come here and are peaceful shouldnt be arrested and face consequences.
    Well yeah they should because first and foremost they disobeyed our laws and are now criminals of their own choosing.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

You're stretching.... the Brady campaign would try and take sober drivers’ licenses because of the behavior of drunk drivers.

I’m fine with sending someone to prison for repeated reckless endangerment with a firearm as well, even if they don’t hurt anyone.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You're stretching.... the Brady campaign would try and take sober drivers’ licenses because of the behavior of drunk drivers.

I’m fine with sending someone to prison for repeated reckless endangerment with a firearm as well, even if they don’t hurt anyone.

Very thoughtful answer which lives up to your usual strong sense of discernment. While I am still uncomfortable with prison for pre-crime or anything too close to it, you made two very reasonable points.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Very thoughtful answer which lives up to your usual strong sense of discernment. While I am still uncomfortable with prison for pre-crime or anything too close to it, you made two very reasonable points.
    Pre-crime? He committed a crime for at least the third time, habitual. He shows blatant disregard for the rule of law. This lifestyle is normal for him and many others on a nightly basis.
    We dont allow to operate a vehicle under the influence, he needs to go to prison.
    I wonder how many times he's been given a courtesy ride home just because of his last name.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    3rd DWI, no one hurt, mandatory intensive (lockdown) rehab or jail/work release.
    No question he shouldn't have a licence until he proves alcohol is no longer an issue (say 10 years sober).

Full on prison is for brain eaters.

Besides, I don't care to pay for his 'Prison' time, I'd rather he were on monitored work release on his dime or in a lock down rehab (drunk jail) on his dime...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Pre-crime? He committed a crime for at least the third time, habitual. He shows blatant disregard for the rule of law. This lifestyle is normal for him and many others on a nightly basis.
    We dont allow to operate a vehicle under the influence, he needs to go to prison.
    I wonder how many times he's been given a courtesy ride home just because of his last name.

I, for one, am a believer in the common law standard which requires there to have been an identifiable individual harmed victim (or any number of them) in order for a crime to have occurred. In other words, "society" cannot be a victim and the possibility that someone *could* possibly harm someone cannot be a crime.

That said, I can see merit in some arguments the other way, but I am still very concerned about the inherent risks associated with the concept of victimless crime (again, by common law standard, there cannot by definition be such a thing) and/or pre-crime.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to hear this.
    Reminds me of the time a friend of mine who works in the racing tire community was seated next to Al Jr at a dinner event.
    This was several years ago before it was widely known Al Jr had a drinking problem.

My friend said Al Jr was a nice guy, but he was trashed drunk.

Said that Al Jr practically told him his life story, including very personal stuff.
    My friend said he felt embarrassed for him.

I've had a few friends through the years with heavy a drinking problem, and they finally had to realize they need to totally stay away from alcohol.
    Just one drink could set them off on a drinking binge that could sometimes last for days.
    Hope Al Jr can get some help.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Seen this earlier today. Definitely kind of sad, a 2 time Indy winner driving a VW Bug :whistle:

I thought all the cool kids drove VWs.

https://www.vwheritage.com/blog/2015/07/11/paul-newmans-legendary-v8-indy-vw-bug/

advert.jpg

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I, for one, am a believer in the common law standard which requires there to have been an identifiable individual harmed victim (or any number of them) in order for a crime to have occurred. In other words, "society" cannot be a victim and the possibility that someone *could* possibly harm someone cannot be a crime.

That said, I can see merit in some arguments the other way, but I am still very concerned about the inherent risks associated with the concept of victimless crime (again, by common law standard, there cannot by definition be such a thing) and/or pre-crime.

Sorry, we will have to disagree. Perhaps an analogy of a pyromaniac would fit. Starting a fire in a building may not result in personal injury, but the odds are that sooner or later someone will get hurt in one of the fires-either civilian or fire/ems/law enforcement-are very high. The same with a drunk driver. The statistical odds are too great to allow a convicted drunk driver to continue to endanger the public. I have been a firefighter and an EMT and have seen the devastating results of the actions of drunk drivers. Innocent lives are taken and surviving relatives are impacted for the rest of their lives. If you have experienced the loss of a father, mother, daughter, son, or someone you hold dear as a result of someone’s negligent actions it’s not difficult to feel that the responsible person should be held accountable.

I would submit Unser continues to drive it is only a matter of time before he injures or kills someone. I personally don’t want to play driving Russian roulette on the road with him coming from the other direction. It’s bad enough with folks on their cell phones.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Sorry, we will have to disagree. Perhaps an analogy of a pyromaniac would fit. Starting a fire in a building may not result in personal injury, but the odds are that sooner or later someone will get hurt in one of the fires-either civilian or fire/ems/law enforcement-are very high. The same with a drunk driver. The statistical odds are too great to allow a convicted drunk driver to continue to endanger the public. I have been a firefighter and an EMT and have seen the devastating results of the actions of drunk drivers. Innocent lives are taken and surviving relatives are impacted for the rest of their lives. If you have experienced the loss of a father, mother, daughter, son, or someone you hold dear as a result of someone’s negligent actions it’s not difficult to feel that the responsible person should be held accountable.

I would submit Unser continues to drive it is only a matter of time before he injures or kills someone. I personally don’t want to play driving Russian roulette on the road with him coming from the other direction. It’s bad enough with folks on their cell phones.

The pyro is creating a harmed victim unless the building is truly ownerless.

I deal with abject stupidity on the road ever day every bit as dangerous as any drunk. Are we going to outlaw that too? What criteria?

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage

Our oldest son is a cop for a department in Porter county. The stories he tells about his drunk driving arrests are disturbing. Unser has a huge problem and needs to be off the road, no questions asked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom