• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Rebuilding the hobby room to be ready for winter.
    Salvaged table tops and 2x4's.
    Got the paint for 9.99 a gallon.
    Built a new book case (behind the camera).
    Found some striped material for new thermal curtains for five bucks a bolt. Thermal backing arrives Friday. I married a quilter.
    Still need another set of shelves to get organized.
    Got sixteen more 2'x5' table tops to play with.
    Yeehah.:)

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Pull out the truck and use the tailgate for the chop saw platform.
    Pull out the car and use the space for layout and assembly.
    It's a juggling act.
    :)

Yeah,that works until you have a shop that would make both the wood and metal shop teachers you had pee their pants :laugh:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Last night, about 9:30, the LAST MFing board went up...

0NIrGZFl.jpg

QRnnvxDl.jpg

I'm tired. I'm sore. But that may just be a symptom of lead poisoning from the 5 pounds of paint chips I've ingested since Saturday.:rolleyes:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Pull out the truck and use the tailgate for the chop saw platform.
    Pull out the car and use the space for layout and assembly.
    It's a juggling act.
    :)
    Glad to hear others do exactly as me.

(tagging thread to remind me to upload my pics)

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Only took me two years to trim out the transom & door. Extension jambs are oak plywood, trim is locally harvested cherry.
    DR Door.jpg

I did not make the cabinets/book shelf. Just incorporated into the posts (oak plywood and solid oak base/crown trim). I did the make the countertop of the shorter set of cabinets. This is 4 cherry boards biscuit jointed together & planed to make a solid wood countertop. Beam to the right is dimensional 6x8 pine. Beam to the left is 3x 2x6 trimmed out with 1x pine boards.
    LR1.jpg
    LR2.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ^^^^That looks awesome^^^^

I'm all done but the finishing on the wife's porch.

Came up a little short on fascia boards and had a defective porch post sleeve. But other than that, it's pretty much done...

Aim97ldl.jpg

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am getting to the point where I'm ready to shoot paint. Any recommendations on filler for plywood? I don't know if I want any grain to show through or not, but I'm leaning towards not. I'll be spraying it with regular old indoor latex that we have leftover from the kitchen. The primer that I'm using is very thin, so I'm not counting on it to fill in anywhere.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    ^^^^That looks awesome^^^^

I'm all done but the finishing on the wife's porch.

Came up a little short on fascia boards and had a defective porch post sleeve. But other than that, it's pretty much done...

Aim97ldl.jpg
    That's quite a project - it looks great! I love the ceiling fans on the porch. We wired our porch with boxes to install fans at a later date, but that date hasn't arrived yet. ;)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...We wired our porch with boxes to install fans at a later date, but that date hasn't arrived yet. ;)

We stayed on a houseboat in Michigan last year. Anywhere around it, the bugs would carry you away. But there was a sitting area on the bow that had two ceiling fans. You could sit there all night without bug coming near you. That was my goal for these. Unfortunately, they don't quite do it. They are nice for a breeze, but a little small for bug control. They are just cheap 52", 3 blades. I was going to go with something closer to 60" to moves big CFMs. But the wife went a little over budget on the barnwood.:rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thought I'd post this here... Does anyone in the Indy area or nearby have a planer? I've got a section from the hard maple I had cut down (it was dead, so the wood is pretty much seasoned) that I'd like to have planed down to a uniform thickness. Right now it varies from just over an inch thick to approximately 2 inches thick. Overall dimensions are about 18" wide by 32" long. I'd like to make a table top out of it and leave the edges "natural".

6b9i2Xe.jpg

Uu1yS2B.jpg

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I do woodworking for a living, been at it 25 yrs. Everything you see here, we have mass produced. With the right equipment, one can build anything. DD, we can do it, but its a long trip. Not worth your investment.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I do woodworking for a living, been at it 25 yrs. Everything you see here, we have mass produced. With the right equipment, one can build anything. DD, we can do it, but its a long trip. Not worth your investment.

Appreciate the offer! But yeah, I'm not wanting to drive too far (not that I wouldn't enjoy meeting you I'm sure!). Just thought I'd put the feeler out there for somebody local. :) The tree people just cut me this piece without me requesting it, and I hate to see it go to waste. We have a couple of old Singer sewing machine bases that would be perfect as a base for this piece.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Appreciate the offer! But yeah, I'm not wanting to drive too far (not that I wouldn't enjoy meeting you I'm sure!). Just thought I'd put the feeler out there for somebody local. :) The tree people just cut me this piece without me requesting it, and I hate to see it go to waste.
    I plan on coming to north side of Indy next weekend, Sat the 7th. Could meet up, I could bring it back the next weekend to say Daleville. :)

Top Bottom