• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I have recently taken up wood working as a way to unwind from work and to keep my mind focused. I've started small compared to what a lot of you have accomplished. There is some real talent displayed in this thread.

This is the first flag that I made. It is made with 1x2's and color stain. I painted the stars on the union.
    Edit-flag.jpg

This is the second one. I carved the stars with a dremel tool.

20191101-204242-5334.jpg

20191102-171144-5341.jpg

20191102-200247-5338.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have recently taken up wood working as a way to unwind from work and to keep my mind focused. I've started small compared to what a lot of you have accomplished. There is some real talent displayed in this thread.

This is the first flag that I made. It is made with 1x2's and color stain. I painted the stars on the union.
    Edit-flag.jpg

This is the second one. I carved the stars with a dremel tool.

20191101-204242-5334.jpg

20191102-171144-5341.jpg

20191102-200247-5338.jpg

I've been making flags like this. I was using old skids I tore apart and ripping the boards to 2". Gives it a real rustic look

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I thought I would bring this thread back. When they called for E-learning this week and spring break next, I went and got stuff for projects and things around the house. I didn't realize others had already posted doing these flags. I originally wanted to do Thin Blue Line flags for the local law enforcement agencies. I then saw some traditional flags. I am using nickel plated brass for my stars. This was my first one, and hope to have the Thin Blue Line flag done tomorrow.

e1FJh7a.jpg

mjYK8ca.jpg

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I thought I would bring this thread back. When they called for E-learning this week and spring break next, I went and got stuff for projects and things around the house. I didn't realize others had already posted doing these flags. I originally wanted to do Thin Blue Line flags for the local law enforcement agencies. I then saw some traditional flags. I am using nickel plated brass for my stars. This was my first one, and hope to have the Thin Blue Line flag done tomorrow.

e1FJh7a.jpg

mjYK8ca.jpg
    Looks great! Nice work SCB. :yesway:

I made a thin blue line for my brother in law who is a state trooper. I will have to see if I can find a picture.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Those are sweet! I think I need to torch the stripes a little more. I'm not a woodworker. I just like playing around, but I can see how people enjoy this hobby.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Those are sweet! I think I need to torch the stripes a little more. I'm not a woodworker. I just like playing around, but I can see how people enjoy this hobby.
    Thanks, I like the idea of the brass as stars. Also, it looks like you are making the union from one piece of wood. Has a cleaner look that way.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here's my latest project. It's made from some scraps and just primed - the fortunate recipient (a good friend of the wife) can paint it as desired. I spent very little money on it, and it gave me a chance to use my slot cutting router bit.

It's a locker for the foot of a bed, that doubles as... um... well... functional for adults.
    attachment.php

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This was the fun part - those post slide up and down in sleeves and then rest on a 1/2" piece that can slide in and out in a captured way.

Pull the top up, slide the rests into place and it's super sturdy for ... activities.

Then, pull those rest back and it drops down. Sort of. It tends to bind up when going up and down, and I'm not sure how to smooth it out. Could I wax it? I don't want to sand it down too much more, but it takes some fanagling to get up and down. Any ideas?

attachment.php

Last edited:

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    This was the fun part - those post slide up and down in sleeves and then rest on a 1/2" piece that can slide in and out in a captured way.

Pull the top up, slide the rests into place and it's super sturdy for ... activities.

Then, pull those rest back and it drops down. Sort of. It tends to bind up when going up and down, and I'm not sure how to smooth it out. Could I wax it? I don't want to sand it down too much more, but it takes some fanagling to get up and down. Any ideas?

attachment.php

I can't see any pics, but it sounds very interesting.

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    This isn't wood, but certainly wood working related. My current project is a ~1940 Red Star model 40A radial arm saw. It's running and cutting again, ready to start tuning it as I have more time.
    lJhC0Gt.jpg

Top Bottom