• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I plan on coming to north side of Indy next weekend, Sat the 7th. Could meet up, I could bring it back the next weekend to say Daleville. :)
    Now that might be doable! I'm somewhat familiar with the Daleville exit as I used to have a friend whose family was from there. We'll see where this leads. :yesway: Of course I will be happy to pay for your services!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Thought I'd post this here... Does anyone in the Indy area or nearby have a planer?...

6b9i2Xe.jpg

That will be a challenge for any "garage grade" planer.:n00b:

I have an OLD, HEAVY, Belsaw planer that's 18", but I doubt it would handle that. It's too swirly for straight knives.

Maybe a big Powermatic that has a helical cutter head with carbide inserts...

Powermatic-Byrd-Cutterhead.jpg

Or find a local shop with a big belt sander. There's one by me with a 48" wide belt. And it will remove stock almost as fast as a planer.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I have an OLD, HEAVY, Belsaw planer that's 18", but I doubt it would handle that. It's too swirly for straight knives.

Or find a local shop with a big belt sander. There's one by me with a 48" wide belt. And it will remove stock almost as fast as a planer.
    I wondered about that. Also the "seam" in the middle where two trunk sections came together. I'm afraid it might just break right there. The sander sounds like it might be the better option.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I started wood working about a year ago now. I have made 30 or so rustic flags (the biggest being 7’ x 45.5” and the smallest being 18” x 9.75”). I have made a few walnut step stools and a lot of odd crafty stuff for the wife. I am working on making a pie safe. I found a nice set of tins and started making it out of walnut. I also got into turning around this same time and have made close to 75 pens and a bunch of wine stoppers and the usually weird things when I get bored. My entire family is metal works so they all think I am nuts when I make something out of wood but I really enjoy it.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana

You might consider using a router. Do a Google search for methods using a router and a cradle system. Not a difficult set up and works extremely well.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    You might consider using a router. Do a Google search for methods using a router and a cradle system. Not a difficult set up and works extremely well.

THIS!

It will take longer to set up the cradle than it will to flatten the wood. Some CYA glue in the cracks and seam to help stabilize things. :yesway:

I was going to suggest the same thing. Here is a link to a basic jig: https://www.instructables.com/id/Plane-your-wood-slabs-with-a-Planing-Sled-that-you/

I would also suggest using a 1/2" spiral downcut bit and take shallow cuts.

Kind of in the same vein, I made a jig one time to use with a Lancelot carver(chainsaw carver on angle grinder) to hog out some solid wood chair seats for a customer. Will never do that again!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Appreciate the suggestions guys, but I don't have any of the equipment you're talking about and no room or budget for it. Wish I did, believe me! :( I'm probably not going to end up doing anything with it, honestly, but if it was something someone local wanted to take on, I thought I'd put out the feelers.

jpr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    A little bit of my work. At this time most of it is around the house. The shed was supposed to be my new workshop but it ended up as the barn for our Angora rabbits which my wife makes yarn from.

[FONT=&quot]
    laAAzXi.jpg

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    morH0EJ.jpg

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    MLbVChE.jpg

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    I2Ybq4q.jpg
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Very Nice. Are those all mortise/tenon joints?

Faked - just glued on. I made it to match another piece, which had fake M&T look. I just measured and duplicated those. Same with the contour of the legs.

The same was dead on, but the finish wasn't. The other piece is from VCF and has some exotic veneer.

Top Bottom