• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I am under the impression that the only person I am required by law to show my LTCH to is a LEO but could not find the applicable law.

So does a librarian have the authority to demand that I show my LTCH? Can I just show her my Library Card?

Sorry to dig up an old thread but going to a meeting at the Allen County Public Library and this thread showed up on Google. Below is their policy:

http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/docs/default-source/Policies/library-policies.pdf?sfvrsn=0

All individuals possessing firearms on library premises must comply with state
    and federal law and also MUST comply with the following provisions. Failure to comply with these
    rules will result in removal of said person from library premises and may result in confiscation of
    the firearm and/or prosecution.

(i) Handgun Possession – Ind. Code § 35-47-2-1. No person may possess a handgun on library
    property or inside any library building (“Library Premises”) unless they also possess a valid
    permit to carry a handgun in the State of Indiana. Any person carrying a handgun on Library
    Premises must provide proof of license upon request by library personnel.

(ii) Criminal Recklessness – Ind. Code § 35-42-2-2. All firearms carried on Library Premises must
    be secured in a manner which prevents potential injury or serious bodily harm to any other person
    or to property.

(iii) Criminal Recklessness – Ind. Code § 35-42-2-2 and Pointing a Firearm – Ind. Code §
    35-47-4-3. No person may point, brandish or display a firearm in any manner that is intended to
    threaten or intimidate any library patron or library staff member.

(iv) Criminal Recklessness – Ind. Code § 35-42-2-2. Persons may not carry a firearm in any
    manner which violates Indiana’s Criminal Recklessness Statute.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I am under the impression that the only person I need am required by law to show my LTCH to is a LEO but could not find the applicable law.

So does a librarian have the authority to demand that I show my LTCH? Can I just show her my Library Card?

Sorry to dig up an old thread but going to a meeting at the Allen County Public Library and this thread showed up on Google. Below is their policy:

http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/docs/default-source/Policies/library-policies.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Indiana state has preemption. Political subdivisions do not get to make gun law.
    IC 35-47-11

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I am under the impression that the only person I am required by law to show my LTCH to is a LEO but could not find the applicable law.

IC 35-47-2-1 does not have the word "library" anywhere in it. You can view it here. As a taxpayer-funded entity, they have no right to restrict a gun owners access to the facility. Sounds like the library needs to be "informed" that they are spreading falsehoods and trying to enforce them.

Edit: Also, their claims about what is in IC 35-42-2-2 bears minimal resemblance to the text.

I believe that a warning letter from a lawyer informing them of the false claims and the preemption law would likely get a positive resolution.

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Yup, as stated above, they are a political subdivision and cannot enforce additional restrictions. They are opening themselves up to a lawsuit if they try and enforce their policy.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    We went to the downtown branch the other day and I was amazed by the number of homeless people inside, it was actually really intimidating. I made a comment to my lady about a guy who pulled a loaf of bread and a jar of PB out of a backpack, it took a while to realize he was homeless and had been there all day. It was cold that day, and I can't blame him for wanting shelter, but my kids were noticeably uncomfortable... almost every padded chair had someone in it that looked they hadn't moved all day and weren't leaving til closing. Some had mental health issues and were making loud noises, etc. Almost every computer had someone on it watching YouTube videos. We go to one of the smaller branches, and will probably continue to do so until it gets warmer and they go back outside.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Open Carry with Confidence.
    Tell those 4eyed Librarians to stuff it up their Dewey Decimal System.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Many CC at the Allen County Public Library. OC would be very unwise as it would just stir up the hornet's nest. Tell the misses to CC and go about her business.

Sounds like a place I'd make a point to OC in. No gun shame here and DILLIGAF if the sheeple are scared? I've done far better at educating sheeple about their rights than scaring them.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We went to the downtown branch the other day and I was amazed by the number of homeless people inside,
    You get used to it. My walking commute takes me past (or through) the library daily. Most of the 'regulars' are pretty friendly and we exchange pleasantries.

And KittySlayer - tell any librarian to pound sand. You don't need to show them your LTCH or library card. Even security has no right to demand to see your Larry.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Those aren't metal detectors at the entrance. They are to detect books that are being stolen. My handgun has never set it off :)

Yup.
    Lake County one used to go off because of my work ID. Before the credit card style ID, we had this thick card that had RF coils or something. Also tripped the theft detectors at some stores.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

so Indiana does have a law against "brandishing"!?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    We went to the downtown branch the other day and I was amazed by the number of homeless people inside, it was actually really intimidating. I made a comment to my lady about a guy who pulled a loaf of bread and a jar of PB out of a backpack, it took a while to realize he was homeless and had been there all day. It was cold that day, and I can't blame him for wanting shelter, but my kids were noticeably uncomfortable... almost every padded chair had someone in it that looked they hadn't moved all day and weren't leaving til closing. Some had mental health issues and were making loud noises, etc. Almost every computer had someone on it watching YouTube videos. We go to one of the smaller branches, and will probably continue to do so until it gets warmer and they go back outside.
    You're intimidated by homeless people? And you know they were homeless?
    You were intimidated and your kids were uncomfortable because you were around "homeless" people and people (by your professional opinion) who "had mental issues and were making loud noises, etc."
    Sounds like you need to stay in your cushy suburban library where these undesirables surely don't go.:dunno:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    No problems last night going through the book scanners when I conceal carried. Although I am glad I was carrying because I had no confidence in the security with the sewn on patches. Not sure they could even stop a book thief. Did not see any large signage although there was a basket full of flyers marked Policies. Thanks to all for the input.

You're intimidated by homeless people? And you know they were homeless?
    ...who "had mental issues and were making loud noises, etc."

I am friends with a number of area librarians who deal with the daytime residents. In the cold of the winter and heat of the summer the library is filled with homeless people. Many of them have mental and behavior issues. It is a challenge for the profession.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I DON'T WANT TO START A CC/OC DEBATE! Would just like clarification please!

If I'm reading this correctly doesn't the following IC 35-47-11.1-4 mean you cannot OC during a public meeting at the library? :dunno:

IC 35-47-11.1-4
    Exceptions
    Sec 4 This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:
    (6) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the intentional display of a firearm at a public meeting.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My understanding:
    A local government entity (like a library) MAY have a policy requiring CC for public meetings. They are not REQUIRED to have the policy. I read "public" as meeting hosted/run by the government entity and open to the general public, NOT any meeting of any group (like when an Appleseed meeting uses a library meeting room).

Just my :twocents:.

I DON'T WANT TO START A CC/OC DEBATE! Would just like clarification please!

If I'm reading this correctly doesn't the following IC 35-47-11.1-4 mean you cannot OC during a public meeting at the library? :dunno:

IC 35-47-11.1-4
    Exceptions
    Sec 4 This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:
    (6) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the intentional display of a firearm at a public meeting.

Top Bottom