• ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My understanding:
    A local government entity (like a library) MAY have a policy requiring CC for public meetings. They are not REQUIRED to have the policy. I read "public" as meeting hosted/run by the government entity and open to the general public, NOT any meeting of any group (like when an Appleseed meeting uses a library meeting room).

Just my :twocents:.

My particular meeting was for an outside club/organization basically using/renting a meeting room so I would not deem it as public. The group I was meeting with is very diverse and for personal reasons there are a number of them that I would prefer not know that I carry, thus I kept it concealed.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't like being around them either, whats your point? They tend to be unstable.

Or they could just kick the riff-raff out. Not like they are paying property tax for that public library.

Heck, while we're at it, let's have a complete pro-rating - is your house as big as mine? No? Well, I get to read more books than you.

...back on topic...

IC 35-47-11.1-4 has the intentions of preventing intimidation - think Black Panthers outside a polling place. No one could construe the normal course of business at a library a 'meeting' for that purpose.

FTR, I have OC'd there many times. No problems. Simply act like a shepherd and not a wolf.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't like being around them either, whats your point? They tend to be unstable.

Or they could just kick the riff-raff out. Not like they are paying property tax for that public library.
    I'm pretty sure paying taxes has no bearing on whether one is allowed to use public services. Quite the opposite. Those who pay the least seem to use the most.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Heck, while we're at it, let's have a complete pro-rating

I'd be fine with that. Opt out of a library card and deduct it, line item, from my local property tax. Hell same with public schools, why am I paying when I don't have any children. It makes too much sense.

I'm pretty sure paying taxes has no bearing on whether one is allowed to use public services. Quite the opposite. Those who pay the least seem to use the most.

That was kinda the point I was making.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Heck, while we're at it, let's have a complete pro-rating - is your house as big as mine? No? Well, I get to read more books than you.

...back on topic...

IC 35-47-11.1-4 has the intentions of preventing intimidation - think Black Panthers outside a polling place. No one could construe the normal course of business at a library a 'meeting' for that purpose.

FTR, I have OC'd there many times. No problems. Simply act like a shepherd and not a wolf.

I understand that and I've OC'd at my library also but never attended or attempted to OC for a "public meeting". Just asking. Thanks!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I am so glad I found this thread. Our WalMart has a detector of some sort that is new at the entrance. I got a new CC purse and was carrying today when I entered the store. The greeter saw me set it off coming in and didn't say anything to me. When I was leaving with my cart full of stuff, it went off again. She stopped me and then said, "oh yeah, you set it off when you came in. Go ahead." and let me leave.

Tonight, we stopped at MC Sports. When we entered, their detector went off. I had the same purse...still carrying. Hubby was also carrying. The guy at the register said it was probably my purse and said Coach purses seem to set it off. He asked what mine was and I said Coronado...he had never heard of those. He said, no problem. I'll remember when you leave that you set it off coming in. Hubby said he also set it off when he came through so I'm pretty sure it wasn't my purse...but my gun.

I searched on "Metal detector" to see if others were having this experience going into stores and this thread popped up. Now...back to the library topic of this thread.

The library in Plymouth has detectors at the entrance, and my gun sets them off. The first time it happened, I exited and disarmed at the car and then went back in briefly with my elderly neighbor that I was helping. Since then, I assumed I could not carry in the library and leave my gun in the car....finding this thread answered that question I hadn't had time to research about whether or not I could legally carry in a library. I thought I could, but the metal detectors at Plymouth had me questioning that.

Is anyone else experiencing this when entering stores?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am so glad I found this thread. Our WalMart has a detector of some sort that is new at the entrance. I got a new CC purse and was carrying today when I entered the store. The greeter saw me set it off coming in and didn't say anything to me. When I was leaving with my cart full of stuff, it went off again. She stopped me and then said, "oh yeah, you set it off when you came in. Go ahead." and let me leave.

Tonight, we stopped at MC Sports. When we entered, their detector went off. I had the same purse...still carrying. Hubby was also carrying. The guy at the register said it was probably my purse and said Coach purses seem to set it off. He asked what mine was and I said Coronado...he had never heard of those. He said, no problem. I'll remember when you leave that you set it off coming in. Hubby said he also set it off when he came through so I'm pretty sure it wasn't my purse...but my gun.

I searched on "Metal detector" to see if others were having this experience going into stores and this thread popped up. Now...back to the library topic of this thread.

The library in Plymouth has detectors at the entrance, and my gun sets them off. The first time it happened, I exited and disarmed at the car and then went back in briefly with my elderly neighbor that I was helping. Since then, I assumed I could not carry in the library and leave my gun in the car....finding this thread answered that question I hadn't had time to research about whether or not I could legally carry in a library. I thought I could, but the metal detectors at Plymouth had me questioning that.

Is anyone else experiencing this when entering stores?

Never. (Yet anyway). Are you sure they're metal detectors you're seeing and not loss prevention devices? Could it be you've got a un-deactivated tag in your purse?

One way to test it, go in some store where you gun will set it off. Go back out and lock you gun in your car and try again. It sounds like you did that at the library but I'd give it a try at one of the stores you're having a problem with.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Never. (Yet anyway). Are you sure they're metal detectors you're seeing and not loss prevention devices? Could it be you've got a un-deactivated tag in your purse?

One way to test it, go in some store where you gun will set it off. Go back out and lock you gun in your car and try again. It sounds like you did that at the library but I'd give it a try at one of the stores you're having a problem with.

At the library, I had a different purse. It was the same brand, but my zipper broke on the cc pocket so I bought a new one. I figured it was the purse at Walmart, but then when hubby said he set off the one at MC Sports too...it made me wonder. I may try Walmart without my gun in the purse next time just to see if it is the purse. I got it online so anything is possible there. The other purse didn't do it at the library once the gun was out of it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    At the library, I had a different purse. It was the same brand, but my zipper broke on the cc pocket so I bought a new one. I figured it was the purse at Walmart, but then when hubby said he set off the one at MC Sports too...it made me wonder. I may try Walmart without my gun in the purse next time just to see if it is the purse. I got it online so anything is possible there. The other purse didn't do it at the library once the gun was out of it.

Maybe they just don't trust all you northerners. :D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Those aren't metal detector. They emit a magnetic signal that's designed to excite the theft detection tags which in turn emit their own signal. Were you leaving the library with a book when it went off? Maybe that book wasn't disabled - it happens.

Something you carry has one of those that tags that have not been disabled.

A lot of us carry big hunks of metal through those. :cool:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Those aren't metal detector. They emit a magnetic signal that's designed to excite the theft detection tags which in turn emit their own signal. Were you leaving the library with a book when it went off? Maybe that book wasn't disabled - it happens.

Something you carry has one of those that tags that have not been disabled.

A lot of us carry big hunks of metal through those. :cool:

I was entering the library. It was the first time I had ever gone there, so I assumed it was the gun. When I went out and put the gun in the care and re-entered, it did not go off. I have gone in several times since then without the gun carrying the same purse, and it has not gone off.

I'm going to try Walmart carrying the new purse minus the gun and see what happens. The fact that the one at MC Sports went off when my husband passed through, makes me think it was his gun as well. I guess I need to conduct an experiment and report back. :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was entering the library. It was the first time I had ever gone there, so I assumed it was the gun. When I went out and put the gun in the care and re-entered, it did not go off. I have gone in several times since then without the gun carrying the same purse, and it has not gone off.

I'm going to try Walmart carrying the new purse minus the gun and see what happens. The fact that the one at MC Sports went off when my husband passed through, makes me think it was his gun as well. I guess I need to conduct an experiment and report back. :)

next time you are at the cash register, take your pistol out and ask them to swipe it over their deactivator to disable the tag inside your pistol. That way it won't happen anymore. (Purple):):

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've been in and out of the Library and MC Sports carrying sometimes twin .45's with multiple clips. No issues. Maybe there's a hidden theft chip in your purse...though it doesn't explain why the hubby would activate it, new wallet?

Maybe the next time you check out drag the bag over the 'deactivation' field on the register, like you were buying a DVD and hear it go 'boing'. Don't know if that will work but might be worth a try.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've been in and out of the Library and MC Sports carrying sometimes twin .45's with multiple clips. No issues. Maybe there's a hidden theft chip in your purse...though it doesn't explain why the hubby would activate it, new wallet?

Maybe the next time you check out drag the bag over the 'deactivation' field on the register, like you were buying a DVD and hear it go 'boing'. Don't know if that will work but might be worth a try.

I guess I could ask them to do it when it goes off upon entering the store. That doesn't explain the library though. Nothing is different there other than the absence of my gun from my person...same purse, same everything else. Just went back to the car and stashed the pistol before re-entering.

Now, I want to go to the stores again to see what happens without the gun.

Top Bottom